Overrunning Service Interval

Sousajack

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been on this site a while and haven't posted very much but since buying an absolutely stunning 800GS I've got a few questions regarding the first service.
I bought the 2016 bike in Spain pre-registered and a few delivery KM's on it only. This was a month ago (almost). I then took the bike for a weeks adventure exploring hundreds of different roads around the Alicante and Valencia regions. It was a truelove great trip and the bike outdid my expectations (although it is my first one!) and the weather was stunning to boot.

Anyway, enough dreaming of holidays and time to get back to business.... The first service is supposed to be at 1000 KMs but mine is at 1600+ KMs. I had the bike booked in at the local BMW service agent here in Mallorca but have had to change the date due to work constraints. Next week they have no slots available (plus a national holiday) so it's now down to the following Monday.

Problem is, I'd like to ride the machine but don't want to do it an injustice and suppose I'll have to wait.
What do the garage actually do for the first service? Is it just an oil change and tire kick? I don't mind admitting it but I'm pretty damn competent mechanically so wonder if it's worth doing this stuff myself. How would that affect the service history though (probably not very well I guess)?

Any ideas, thoughts, experiences much appreciated.

Stay safe!

Ride it, and tell them you thought it was 1000 miles ;)

In reality, what are they going to do, refuse to take your money ?

Overrunning a service point, even the first one, should not be a problem. I missed one service completely with my 1150GS due to a variety of reasons and it was absolutely fine.
Even if the first service is at 2000km instead of 1000 it still should be okay. Let the dealer do the first one as they will plug the bike into the diagnostic kit and see if there are any problems. After that it is your choice to let them do it or DIY.
Glad you are enjoying what is a fantastic bike. Bit envious about where you are though...

Only issue could be that if it has a guarantee then it could invalidate it.

That could be a factor if you simply didn’t bother booking the first service, but when the dealer is that busy they can’t fit it in then that isn’t your fault. They can’t tell you not to ride the bike so the fact that you have gone over the recommended mileage shouldn’t be an issue, and if it is it should be their problem and not yours.

Back
Top Bottom