I need a battery !

I previously had an Odyssey and of course it flung the engine over. However, I'm not sure its worth the cost. An uber cheap battery usually lasted me about 2 years changed at first signs of weakness. A Motobatt lasted about 4 years and yes the 2x costs of an Odyssey lasted up to 8 years. Cost per year is all very similar.

When the Odyssey started to show signs of age, I decided to try a Lithium. The issue is not getting too caught up about Amp Hours. The effective AH for an Odyssey (30%) is the same as the 4AH JMT lithium I chose.
The JMT gives smaller case and a 4Kg weight saving with the chance to put the battery elsewhere on the bike. Is the latter important? Not really, but it's nice to to have a try.
The JMT can be parked for long periods without any damage - the lithium won't suffer in any way. I don't have continuous power to my garage so an Opitmate can't be used without removing the battery from the bike.

At first try, the lithium seems to have weak cold start performance. At under 5C it will struggle to start the engine at first try. However, a weak lead acid gives you one chance and it's game over. Agreed an Odyssey has to be very old for that to happen but not so a Yobbo brand at >2 years old. The lithium is not a one hit wonder - it just behaves differently.

I have grown to like how the lithium works when cold:

At sub zero (C) the engine wont crank at all. However, hold the button down and the battery internal resistance warms the battery.

At second attempt (with warm battery), the engine starts normally and will keep doing so if you want to risk cooking the starter motor.

Below 5C, the engine turns slowly then speeds up and will start if you allow it to work like that. I prefer to pause for a few seconds and try again. Oil is circulated while its turning slowly so there is minimal cam chain clatter when it fires up.

Odyssey gets around the weakness of lead acid in cold conditions by being a big booger. Lithium behaves differently but gets the job done just as well.

There is one issue with lithium. When the engine has warmed, the battery will be just as cold as it ever was so starting will be similar. That's never been an issue for me, but someone doing regular stops in cold weather would soon get fed up.

Well said Bendy toy. That completely sums up my experience of having a JMT lithium.

Over the summer I didn’t even realise the previous owner had stuck a lithium in the bike (it started so I didn’t worry about checking!) Come the first proper cold day and it struggled. Waited a moment and it started a dream. Took the seat off to check and realised it was a lithium. I don’t have any issues with cold starts now hat I know the engine will have one slow turn, I wait 3 seconds, start.

I like that the cold engine gets oil circulated before the engine starts properly.
The £65 JMT gives 240CCA but only after that battery warm-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom