Bit of chatter under hard acceleration... Normal??

Strangely had same prob with my GS finally solved it by taking my time and carefully balancing the throttle bodies.:confused:

Strangely had same prob with my GS finally solved it by taking my time and carefully balancing the throttle bodies.:confused:

Interesting.. can you do them with vac gauges on the twin cams?.. was told by indy you can't do it that way?... that said, i have had my gauges on and dabbled a bit.. i find i can match them say at 2-3k, but 6-7 k they have gone out again?... how did you do yours??.. :)

I balance my throttle bodies with Twinmax electronic balancer.
Ride the bike to get engine fully warm.
Switch engine off in normal way.
Disconnect both idle stepper motor electric connections.
Fit balancer or gauges and start engine. You need to hold throttle open slightly and it’s awkward to catch.
Run engine just above 1500 revs and check the balance.
Adjust throttle cables and repeat.
Some people say the Twinmax is rubbish but it works for me. Set it coarse initially then use fine tuning when balance is close.

okay, thanks for that.. the twinmax look like an electronic version of a vac gauge but for 2 cylinders only.. its got to be doing the same thing... Good info on removing the idle stepper :thumb2 will have a play when I get chance... Thanks :)

Interesting.. can you do them with vac gauges on the twin cams?.. was told by indy you can't do it that way?...

You balance the throttles on the twin cam in exactly the same way as you do on all the R series bikes stretching back to 1970.. with vacuum gauges.

The only thing you do need on all the 1200 models is a GS911 to plug in and balance the idle.

You balance the throttles on the twin cam in exactly the same way as you do on all the R series bikes stretching back to 1970.. with vacuum gauges.

The only thing you do need on all the 1200 models is a GS911 to plug in and balance the idle.

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

The Twinmax is a differential pressure gauge with adjustable sensitivity. It would work on a 4 cylinder bike just as well because they are adjusted in pairs. I did my 4cyl bike by listening to the intake pop sounds. Compare them and adjust until both sound the same, then do the next pair. Finally balance one pair against the other. When checked with calibrated gauges it was spot on and quicker to do - no messing about with impossible to reach gauge connectors.

Still a bit of chatter / rattle on accelerating.... did so of the early Camheads (2010) have chain tensioner issues??.... any morethoughts...

My 2010 is on 74,000 miles amd I've not noticed any untoward noises....can I suggest ear plugs ? :thumb2

maybe thats the way... just looking at the cam guide tensioners... all look like new so no problem there I guess?

Had it on the vac gauges earlier... slight difference there but not much... in fact one pot is stronger on the lower rpm and the other on the higher RPM.. but static check of the cams show them to be the same... wonder if its a twin cam thing..... as the RPM rises?

maybe thats the way... just looking at the cam guide tensioners... all look like new so no problem there I guess?

Had it on the vac gauges earlier... slight difference there but not much... in fact one pot is stronger on the lower rpm and the other on the higher RPM.. but static check of the cams show them to be the same... wonder if its a twin cam thing..... as the RPM rises?
Beaver,
My 2012 35k miles gsa makes the same noise that you describe.
If I give it a handful between 3-5k revs, there is a rattle from the left hand cam chain. I don't think it's much to worry about. The cam chain's route is torturous and long... I'm not surprised it rattles occasionally!
I might check my can chain tensioner one day... But it's a pain to get to.
Just try and avoid overloading the engine at those revs. And ignore!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I know.. just not sure why some do and some don't.. I went on a bike at the dealers earlier today... and it was worst than mine!!... all perfectly normal according to the dealer??....

I know.. just not sure why some do and some don't.. I went on a bike at the dealers earlier today... and it was worst than mine!!... all perfectly normal according to the dealer??....

He would say that.

The engine is basically two stonking great 600cc singles bolted back to back and laid sideways. Almost everything is duplicated left/right (even down to the O2 sensors controls) so no surprise (a) it's heavy and (b) it makes odd noises.

Think what it is, is the odd 'flutter' / shudder of the cam chain in the guides... for what ever reason?...

May still take it in bits to have a look ?? :)

Not sure its pinking TBH... put about 20 miles on this AM and its still there3.5 / 5.5k area.. but only under load / hard acceleration... Any more thoughts... or do they all do that?... Got to say, I do hear noises that other people can't with all my cars / bikes :)

What you are riding is motorcycle basically a sophisticated rotavator engine in it! They are to be fair a really nice bike to ride, handle well and have a good spread of power... so my advice FWIW use good fuel and try not to think to much about the rotavator/tractor noises because it is the norm. If you are going to worry about little bits of clanky noise you have bought the wrong bike, just ride it and enjoy. :beerjug:

Big slugs flapping about in the breeze and long cam chains all attached to a weird clutch arrangement. It's never going to be quiet.

put some Sainburys Supper in about 1/2 miles from home on the way back... [/QUOTE said:
Could be some mince or potatoes have got in to the fuel system :D:D

Back
Top Bottom