Bit of chatter under hard acceleration... Normal??

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

Been playing out on the GS and got to say I like it :) as the days gone on its got better and better (must have been tootled about before so its had a good blow out)
... only thing I can find is a very slight chatter on hard acceleration.. is this normal.. must say, when I was doing the tappets in the week, the chain on one side slapped down on the guide a couple of time, and it does sound a bit like that?...

Any thoughts?... thanks

Another thought.. is it pinking?... was using the old fuel that was in it when I bought the bike.. who knows how old it is?.. put some Sainburys Supper in about 1/2 miles from home on the way back... how long does it take to get through.. it did sound a bit better after?... does the ECU adjust using the knock sensors etc?... wondering if thats why its feeling better??

Ya.. cheers guys.... May add a bit of boost to the petrol tomorrow see if it changes anything ;)

There will be lots on here telling you posh fuel makes no difference and you’re wasting your money buying it, and I would agree if you’re pootling around but if you’re using the bike in the 5k-6k Rev range my seat of the pants sensors tell me the bike is much crisper, pulls harder and smoother and is more enjoyable to ride.
Run a tank of super unleaded through it and hopefully it’ll cure your problem.

Will try it today.... how long does the ECU take to adjust?....

I've also found a few tanks with a dose of good old Redex improves the running and economy ... never felt it made any difference when I've used it in the past but seems to work in my old 75,000 miler!

Not sure its pinking TBH... put about 20 miles on this AM and its still there3.5 / 5.5k area.. but only under load / hard acceleration... Any more thoughts... or do they all do that?... Got to say, I do hear noises that other people can't with all my cars / bikes :)

Both my 1200,s have made the same sound, I to thought it was pinking. Running super unleaded def makes a big difference. I also do the redex treatment every now and again.

Hi TJ....You'll have to give mine a go and see what you think...

Did notice when I did the valve clearances the other day that there is a spring tension unit on the underside of the cylinder.. Think this just pushed in and out... Should it go one way only like on a ratchet?

Check for loose parts on the bike or anything in close proximity to crash bars or light bars if you have them fitted, I had the same on my GSA, it was the body of the auxiliary lights rattling against the crash bars, it only happened for a second or so under hard acceleration and sounded like pinking or detonation. I faffed about for ages with spark plugs, fuel, throttle body balance, injectors etc, it was driving me nuts, I tilted the light up a shade, problem solved. :blast

Mmmm sounds a bit more mechanical that loose bits. More like timing chain on guide or pinking as said
Maybe not pinking as have put boost assertive in and it's the same

Not sure.

Does it pink on posh petrol?

Has the cam timing been “adjusted”.

Has the timing cover been removed for any reason?

Posh petrol in now.. And still doing.
Valves checked with crank lock bar and were very near...
Tell me more about the timing chest.... ?

Mmmm sounds a bit more mechanical that loose bits. More like timing chain on guide or pinking as said
Maybe not pinking as have put boost assertive in and it's the same

Not sure.

Checking for loose stuff is time well spent, like spannering up, and things don't need to be loose to rattle, if they're close to another surface the torque under acceleration can cause it and it can be amplified through the frame. It's worth taking 20 minutes to go round your bike and check, I'm sure some of the replies will point you in the right direction.Apologies for droning on. Keep us posted. :thumby:

Hi Mac... I did go around earlier thumping everything.. and one of the fairing joints did make a noise... iv'e put some foam in now and clamped it back up... I hope thats it, but won't know until Tuesday as I'm away tomorrow... fingers crossed.... but it does still sound a bit more mechanical LOL :beerjug: cheers :)

DO you have OEM engine crash bars? When one of mine shook loose it sounded like a big end had run dry.

yes.. but I've taken them off and re-fitted.. mind you, where you get the tube pushed inside the other tube.. may be worth a bit of silicone so it don't vibrate?....

I removed my OEM engine crash bars. When needed, they bent back so hard into the rocker cover I'm amazed it wasn't cracked. And... the cover got grazed on the road. Worse than useless they are.

Ive kept the petrol tank bars as they do give effective protection with causing collateral damage.

Back
Top Bottom