Toolbox alternative

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All, I've been asked to take a look at the Givi toolbox which fits our GSA LC's.

I was that impressed that I thought I'd share my thoughts on the forum as my findings may help others (it's what it's all about eh?).

Some may recall that I do actually make my own toolbox following my disappointment at the time over what was available on the market. Indeed, in the photo you can see mine at the bottom of the frame, it's covered over 20k miles now.
505c5afb7ff14cfe10763dce2e65b5da.jpg

To be clear my toolbox is much stronger, has a larger opening, larger capacity, is made in Britain by craftsmen and I'm privileged enough to have made and sold hundreds of them to the lads over the years (and still do!).

However this Givi one is without doubt (and only in my 'umble opinion) the best alternative I have ever seen to date. It's very well made (for plastic), fits very well onto the pannier frame and looks very good indeed. I think that if this one had been available a few years ago I wouldn't have designed my own!

It was easy to fit and the bracketry is good quality.

I've no idea on how much it costs - I would like to see it as a very competitive and good quality alternative to mine. It's available from Nippy Norman and if anyone considers it as an alternative to mine (which is fine!) then they could do very much worse!

Mark
cymarcbikeparts

Ah, I`ve just found out it`s £120 which compares very well with my £160 toolbox version - you mostly get what you pay for but for a £40 saving over mine it`s a great compromise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fella, as an aside I appreciate your words about fairness - it`s not common for a manufacturer to speak well of anyone else`s product but it`s simply a good product, life`s too short and it deserves a good review (but if it was a crap product I would not have said anything - I`d leave that to others).

The Givi toolbox looks really good. Only problem is that my pannier rack is the SW Motech one; do you think the Givi fitting bracket could be 'made to fit' my rack?

Well I think there`s a very good chance - if you are near me (Scunthorpe) I`d be happy to see if it would fit for you otherwise I`m guessing that if you contacted NN they might be able to confirm.........

Ride safe fella

The Givi toolbox looks really good. Only problem is that my pannier rack is the SW Motech one; do you think the Givi fitting bracket could be 'made to fit' my rack?
One way I have seen to fit an “end entry” box to SW motech carriers, is to fabricate an aluminium plate that covers the whole of the inside of the frame and then bolt the box to that.
The difference being of course, that the motech frames are a flattened section compared to the majority of others that are round tube.

I’ve bought a couple of tool boxes from Mark. One for my 2010, and now one for my 2017. :thumb

I prefer them as side-loaders over the end-loaders, and I like the way that my pannier, when fitted, adds to the security.

The 2010 model was easy to fit due to the design of both the box and the pannier rails. I found the 2017 box more difficult/fiddly to fit because of the ‘angled’ top bracket.

I have wondered if the top bracket could be made similar to the side brackets, i.e. a P-clip (or 2) from the top pannier frame rail onto the top of the tool-box, - if you see what I mean.

Hi Mark
As always you are fair and honest. What you say about the Givi is all good but having bought your own version from you this year I would like to say that as good as you say the Givi is I would still go for your one as the quality is excellent and the side loading design is far more practical and secure. Well worth the extra £s :beerjug:

Yeah without appearing 'up my own backside' over it I do still believe that mine is the slightly better box and I really like the side loading - the rear loading one I had (manufacturer to remain nameless) was awful, difficult to get into and caught my hands - hence my redesign. IMHO well worth the extra but nonetheless if one of us are on a tight budget as I said it's the best alternative I've ever seen. And thanks for the kind words, it inspires me to always try and come up with improved stuff!

Here's something for you Mark, can you develop a box that can fit to a gs that has vario panniers.

Yeah, already done that - it was simply some brackets that hung down from locations on the pillion seat subframe (no drilling required) and simply held a toolbox in approx the same location as the GSA. All very well and good unless you wanted to use your panniers too....... :(

So for someone who didn't have or would never use panniers it was brill otherwise it wasn't much use!

I wish someone would produce one which does not need to stay in situ when the panniers are not in use, ie on the frame.

Suppose the only way would be to fix to the pannier instead of the frame...

Yeah, already done that - it was simply some brackets that hung down from locations on the pillion seat subframe (no drilling required) and simply held a toolbox in approx the same location as the GSA. All very well and good unless you wanted to use your panniers too....... :(

Yes that's the option I want, �� i want to be able to add panniers if required without removing the tool box.

Yes that's the option I want, �� i want to be able to add panniers if required without removing the tool box.

Wish I could help mate - if you look at the room available with your panniers on you will, erm, see that there isn`t any! Or well not to a dimwit like me anyway! Sorry I can`t help you with that one fella :nenau

Maybe designing a unit that sits between the rear box and the rack may be an option?

Hey Mark, have you ever thought of making a case that would fit in place of or snug underneath the sump guard, something only just deep enough to take a heavy security chain (maybe 20/25mm deep) but slim enough and chamfered nicely so as not to look like a brick hung under the bike.
I have a security chain but it weighs a ton and carrying it at normal luggage height just adds too much to the weight of the bike when it’s fully loaded with touring luggage and pillion, so I don’t bother to take it on Europeans trips, which is probably when I’d most like to have it with me.
Hung beneath the motor the weight of the chain would disappear completely and I doubt if there are many tarmac riders have ever come even close to wacking the standard GS sumpgaurd onto anything whilst road touring!

Hey Mark, have you ever thought of making a case that would fit in place of or snug underneath the sump guard, something only just deep enough to take a heavy security chain (maybe 20/25mm deep) but slim enough and chamfered nicely so as not to look like a brick hung under the bike.
I have a security chain but it weighs a ton and carrying it at normal luggage height just adds too much to the weight of the bike when it’s fully loaded with touring luggage and pillion, so I don’t bother to take it on Europeans trips, which is probably when I’d most like to have it with me.
Hung beneath the motor the weight of the chain would disappear completely and I doubt if there are many tarmac riders have ever come even close to wacking the standard GS sumpgaurd onto anything whilst road touring!

Well that`s the first time anyone has suggested that - no wanting to be a pessimist but there might be more problems this throws up than what it might solve! I`ll give it some thought though and I welcome all suggestions :beerjug:

Perhaps someone else has some helpful input on this?

Fella I`ve found out that it only fits the BMW OEM pannier rails, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom