BT home hub 2 upgrade adsl

Tbolt

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, my friend (lady of 65 - looks 20 years younger) lives in a small village and has a very slow internet connection.

She is on a BT contract for phone and adsl broadband. She had never used wifi on her home hub 2.

I gave her my old iPad and this connected to wifi but not to the web. PC works on the Ethernet link.

I had advised her to get high speed upgrade as they have put a new openreach cabinet outside her home.

She had contacted BT and their numpty advised she renewed her existing contract and he knocked a few pounds off. She felt the extra cost of cable was not worth paying.

It is not my position to question this decision from a lady on a pension.

My question is should BT have given her a new router by now (for free) and would this make any improvements to broadband connections?

1) Not unless it's faulty
2) Unlikely, unless it's faulty.

Does she know what speed she was promised when she took the original contract?
Does she know what speed she is getting?
Has she reported slow speeds to BT?
If not ask her (or someone who is comfortable with these things) to call BT on 0800 111 4567. Ideally from her house, ideally with access to a working mobile phone with a signal. :thumb2

Thanks for the replies.

I will help her call BT from my mobile.

I will try and take a spare router with me to compare.

If not under contract best cancel and go elsewhere. I have found BT to be a very bad supplier and after checking my bills over a period of time I received over £500 of credits (after a fight ot two) and the Ombudsman upheld my complaint about them 100% and awarded me another £200 to compensate me for my time. You would not believe the errors I found.

Derek

Back
Top Bottom