G310GS first impressions

And then to the front forks.
OK so I have no pictures but there's a reason - apart from lack of organisation on my part.
The instructions on the Rally Raid site are excellent. Even a donkey like me can follow them - but I was always going to be much happier observing rather than doing this part. And I was out of the country when Stevie was doing this so failed to observe. It also threw up one issue. It is when something is not as it should be that you find out how good a company is. Rally Raid are excellent. One of the extender pieces (see below) wasn't quite right but Rally Raid got me a replacement and took the time to check out what had gone wrong to see if this was a "one off" or something that might affect others. It's all good by the way and the replacement part went straight on. So in short, apologies I have no photos of this but the Level 2 front fork kit is done, the instructions are good for what is probably the most complex part of the job with full pictorial instructions on-line and Rally Raid's customer care was excellent. When I get back to see the bike I'll let you know more of how it is now with the 20mm lift, revised spring and revised oil level.

Next up is the wheels ... then the bars and risers ... bark busters ... assorted sundries ... screen .....

Attachments

• IMG-20180704-WA0000c.jpg
    IMG-20180704-WA0000c.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG-20180704-WA0001c.jpg
    IMG-20180704-WA0001c.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 949
Last edited:
Just an update for anyone following this ... the bike is built.
The rest took time as I've been away ... and well life has been "interesting" in the Chinese sense. Anyway ... I only started riding it last Sunday. It now has about 240 miles on it and compared to the standard bike, this is waaay better. And I'm not just saying that because of what I've spent and to justify it to the wife. It has certainly made he bike more comfortable and seriously improved the way it handles bumps and ripples - actually - everything to be honest. Yes it is as soft as I want it to be but a lot better damped. Compliant where it needs to be yet it doesn't dive and crash.
My "main" road to work has been closed for the last week - and is scheduled to remain closed for a further two - so I've been using a mixture of A, B and C type roads to make the journey. These are small country back-roads here in Scotland, so they are ideal for running the bike in as there is considerable height change as well. The off-road capabilities are as yet untested other than the dirt road on which I live. That will get fixed soon though. I've attached some pics of the finished article - actually not quite finished. Pegs, luggage rack for soft luggage, mybe some additional front lighting ... and then I need to get it broken in properly off-road, get the TKX-80s on it and then arrange shipping to South Africa! :) But the adventure now feels real.

Attachments

• DSC_0204s.jpg
    DSC_0204s.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 921
  • DSC_0205s.jpg
    DSC_0205s.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 898
  • DSC_0206s.jpg
    DSC_0206s.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 896
  • DSC_0209s.jpg
    DSC_0209s.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 879
looks really good just been reading gs 310 tread on adventure rider, ride reports jenny morgan was pleased with her bike rally raid. good test on the bike !

gs 310

well after 3.5k trip to morocco all is still good , bike ran like a dream . sat all day at 70 mph with a bit left for over taking . seat was fine for the fuel range at 70 ish mpg . off road was good but not perfect, bangs and clatters a bit its not an enduro bike but a little travel bike. made me smile when you see the big gs germans looking down at you !! the head light flicker will driver you and others mad but thank you bombay motor works great bike :beerjug:

1st impressions after 1000 miles

New to the forum.
I am nearing 60, having ridden bikes from 16. Mainly sports type bikes, but not exclusively.
My last bike was a Ducati 1098, before that Kawa ZXR, ZZR , 636. Yam Fazer, R1. BMW R80/100, K75. Honda ST1100 , VFR. etc etc
Won't bore you with a list but that gives you an idea what I came from. I am fully trained at advanced level.
Due to a new knee and aching joints the Ducati had to go.
I have taken the view that price of fuel is going up and roads in Yorkshire are getting worse (except the ones that the Tour de Yorkshire use !) and nothing is going to get better. I commute 42 miles a day, mostly on roads quoted as amongst Yorkshires best biking roads, mainly country roads with a few miles of A19 and A168 (old A1)
My work is very seasonal so winter was researching a new bike, and getting paid for it. Everything was on the table. I don't think there was a dealer in Yorkshire that I didn't test ride a bike.
It boiled down to the BMW 310 GS and the Honda CB500X in the end. I couldn't decide but I got a better deal for my Duke that why I ended up with the baby GS.
I have clocked up 1000 miles in 3 months and quite frankly it is a brilliant bike, my only niggle is the clutch is very light, took some getting used to, fine now. Only mods I have done is a rear brake lever extender and 'powerbronze' screen. Gets up and goes far quicker that you'd expect from 300cc, sips fuel (true Yorkshireman) comfy, very well balanced and standard equipment far and above what you could expect from such a 'budget' bike.
It is soon to get the status of best bike I've ever had.

In response to your long ago post Pete, I am 78 and I have just sold my S1000RR, not because of age or any muscular discomfort but for license protection purposes! I have a clean licence and the thought of jail at my age does not bear thinking about. I have owned a variety of BM's including a 1200 GS and I'm wrestling with the childish/ immature attitude of image!!! Nevertheless my short potential shopping list included the Honda CB500X or a Royal Enfield Continental GT. However I am reluctant to move away from BMW and only today have I thought of considering the 310 GS. I have yet to read any disapproving roadtests or the dreaded U-Tube opinions. Any additional thoughts from forum members would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Great bikes , I’m on to my third and the bike SilverSurfer modified is now owned by me and used by my son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom