Help for friends purchase of a 2014 gs1600 gt

Deleted account 190920002

Reaction score
Could anyone give their thoughts on this. My daughter’s partner has put an offer in for a K1600 in London ( far from me) he showed me photos this afternoon on his phone it shows what looks like corrosion / staining along the joint line between cylinder head and crankcase he was told it was just paint corrosion but it’s on the side of the engine right along the head crankcase join. Unfortunately he didn’t give me the photos. I told him to check the service records as that would show anything nasty but he was told it hadn’t been serviced through lack of use for two years, mmmmm. Me I’d leave it alone but because it’s cheap he’s about to fall for it ( wrong move I think)

The K16 is a slow seller, more so when not mint, there are plenty out there so he’d best keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run a mile then some more. I thought the block joined the crankcase? JJH

JJH you could be right it was a close up of the engine block right hand side it was difficult to see, but he was attracted by low price! I’ve told him to go to a BM dealership,as at least he’ll get two years warranty. Maybe it’s me I’ve been around a long time seen it all, heard it all, I tend not to take things on trust my lovely Linda says I’m too cynical but that’s the way I’ve learned ( the hard way) I’m waiting for his reply.

I think he needs to get more familiar with the K16 before taking the plunge. Take some time to look at ......... http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/

They are magnificent beasts, but do have a few weak areas, so it's always best to have BMW Warranty behind you - there are plenty around, but these were nothing like the sales success enjoyed by the ubiquitous GS, so more effort will be required.

Engine corrosion has been an issue in the UK due to road salt & whilst BMW have been fairly generous in repairing affected bikes within warranty, their stance has hardened of late as some owners have not been observing appropriate cleaning regimes. This leaves quite a number of corroded bikes out there, usually at attractive prices from non-franchised traders & private ads. These might be mechanically perfect, just with minor corrosion, but some are real dogs, so it's a simple case of caveat emptor, as ever. Do your homework & don't get drawn in by sales BS promising after sales warranties that are little more than worthless for a high value bike like this.

Would it be this one on Gumtree perchance? ........ https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw-motorbikes/bmw-k1600gtl-grey-2014-fsh-/1271996404.

Image 9 shows the corrosion, leaving me wondering what else has corroded around the bike. Not seen a service for 2 years you say. Even if it carried an extended warranty?? you would be on your own.

This is a GTL, not a GT, but nonetheless is a good example of the scenario. If this is the bike, just tell the guy to walk away, now. Sorry, but it aint priced to reflect the situation - even a second hand lump would cost c£4k fitted & that assumes everything else is perfect. You do the sums.

Let's say you take a slightly scruffy K16 for commuting; pay £7/8k - use it hard & write off the cost over a couple of years. Worry about mechanical reliability, not looks - that might work, but so would a cheap Deauville, for a fraction of the cost. Buy to ride, enjoy, farkle, polish & admire, whilst basking in the reflected glow of an immaculate machine - that doesn't, so go to a BMW franchise & get a 2 year warranty.
Just my 2p worth - His money, his choice.

Guys I’m sure that’s it, I only looked at the photos on my friends phone. squibb your right on thanks all for your help especially the link if that’s the one. I’m going to email this link but I think we have saved his bacon.
Mucho thanks

Back
Top Bottom