Starter problem urgent!!

Paulgsbristol

Reaction score
I have recently acquired my first 2008 r1200gs, no problems,running fine...
Then
Tried starting today yellow triangle,engine light and audible clack from starter area.
Tried again, clackclackclack,help!
Former owner says new battery

I have recently acquired my first 2008 r1200gs, no problems,running fine...
Then
Tried starting today yellow triangle,engine light and audible clack from starter area.
Tried again, clackclackclack,help!
Former owner says it'll need a new battery

I wonder if you misheard him.....?! :D

The 'clack' is quite possibly the solenoid - the battery's not up to operating it.

Pete

My Thunderbird 1700, eats batteries, if the battery is shagged even jumping it with another doesn't help.

I'd go for a new battery.

Hmmm, former owner says it is a new battery!
Any other possibilities?
Can I add video to this post?

Last edited:
I'd say you need to get it, and your alternator tested before you start looking for more 'obscure' issues. The 'clacking' will be the solenoid, its not getting enough power to hold it open - prime suspect has to be the battery....its either not holding a charge, or its not receiving any charge to hold.

There's an 'insert video' button at the top of the page when you're writing a post, 2nd one from the right.

Pete

How old is the new battery, test with multimeter should be reading 14 volts, if reading 12 volts it’s the battery, if battery is ok take alternator cover off then the alternator belt, if the engine then spins and starts, the alternator is sized

Earth cable to engine is prone to causing problems on these isn't it?

Try jumpstarting with a car battery (with the car NOT running)
Direct to the battery terminals then see if she starts. If yes then suspect battery.

Still clicking, then try directly onto the starter motor.
If she starts then suspect bad earth to engine.

Still not starting, then check starter.
Also see if the engine turns over past compression….how? put into gear and turn the back wheel with plugs removed.

Going through the same symptoms myself. Again!
Just ordered a motobatt hd battery, and will rerun the direct cables from battery to starter when it arrives. The clack noise is as others have said the starter solenoid shuttling have you dropped the starter out and given it a service? Takes about 20 mins to do ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks to all you people who replied, I'll get up tomorrow on a mission.
I'm really impressed ,got a whole raft of probables to crack on with!

Again thank you all,and I'll let you know how I get on

:beerjug:

Thanks to all you people who replied, I'll get up tomorrow on a mission.
I'm really impressed ,got a whole raft of probables to crack on with!

Again thank you all,and I'll let you know how I get on

:beerjug:

Pleasure….:thumby:gotta be worth the £12.00 pa fee.:D

Do the non cost checks first tho.:augie

Even new batteries can fail quickly...

If you haven’t got a multimeter or know how to use one, try an electrical DIY shop or Screw Fix type store, some times you can get them for less than £10.00 they are handy for checking volts and continuity i.e. breaks in a wire

Fit a cheap digital voltmeter from eBay. Ultra simple to fit and shows you what is going on with your electrics.
Disconnect the battery then jump lead a known good battery to the cables. If it’s on a car do not start the car engine.
If bike starts you have a battery problem.
If bike does not start you have a starter or wiring problem.

As its a new battery it could also be that it was installed with lose terminals and one has vibrated loose enough to cause a poor connection.Jump start the bike and check the voltage output across the battery as well as with the bike not running it should be around 13.8-14 volts when running

So what was the problem and how did you fix it?

A new battery, left standing a few months while waiting to sell the bike, will often be knackered.

As its a new battery it could also be that it was installed with lose terminals and one has vibrated loose enough to cause a poor connection.Jump start the bike and check the voltage output across the battery as well as with the bike not running it should be around 13.8-14 volts when running
I don’t understand the last two posts, the guy had an urgent starter problem on 30/10/17 surely it would have been sorted by now
That’s why I asked what was the problem?

Going through the same symptoms myself. Again!
Just ordered a motobatt hd battery, and will rerun the direct cables from battery to starter when it arrives. The clack noise is as others have said the starter solenoid shuttling have you dropped the starter out and given it a service? Takes about 20 mins to do ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What are we servicing on the starter motor ? Is there a guide somewhere ?
Just asking as a possible winter job same time as I do my splines.

When I did mine this year I used a post on here, can`t remember where it is but do a search.
Fairly easy job and probably worth getting a new brush set before you start, not expensive if you decide not to use.

Brush pack is about £40 ex postage if I recall comes from Poland that's for the valeo one

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom