FatBob advice

ZED 1000

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dyna FatBob advice please.

I’ve had my 2009 FatBob since 2010 it came to me with 800 miles on, done lots of modifications and now believe we have the Dyna that best suits our needs, mostly use the bike for 2 up rides and weeks away touring ( bike in the van till we get to our holiday destination). one further improvement I would like to make over this winter is to upgrade the suspension, I was thinking of a set of air shocks off a Road King and some sort of upgrade of the front forks, tried progressive shocks which made no improvement, any advice or information welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 545
Looks like it needs a swingarm as well, that all looks just fucking awful.

Respect your view you don’t like it that’s fine, I do,that aside any ideas for me on up grading the suspension please.

Respect your view you don’t like it that’s fine, I do,that aside any ideas for me on up grading the suspension please.

I put a pair of Ohlins on the rear of my Dyna recently. I only bought the basic ones as at the end of the day it is a Harley and no point chucking money away on race quality suspension with piggy back reservoirs etc. It has improved it enormously over the stock 20 year old shocks (no great surprise).

Personally I would stick with the Progressives if you have them and re-spring them to yours and pillions weight. I can't see the benefit of putting stock shocks off of a heavier HD personally. Ohlins or Progressive shocks are going to be better than the (presumably Showa) stock suspension. Progressive also do a cartridge fork internal that I used on my old Road King. I was very impressed with them. Drop 'em in and away you go. Let's be honest though, if you want something that handles....Harleys are not really in the running. Laws of diminishing returns in my view.

Here’s one I built a few years ago

Att
You probably won’t like this one either but I did at the time, mind you it had much worse suspension.

Attachments

• 1CFADB49-AE95-443C-AF98-A65DC267BB67.jpg
    1CFADB49-AE95-443C-AF98-A65DC267BB67.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 496
I put a pair of Ohlins on the rear of my Dyna recently. I only bought the basic ones as at the end of the day it is a Harley and no point chucking money away on race quality suspension with piggy back reservoirs etc. It has improved it enormously over the stock 20 year old shocks (no great surprise).

Personally I would stick with the Progressives if you have them and re-spring them to yours and pillions weight. I can't see the benefit of putting stock shocks off of a heavier HD personally. Ohlins or Progressive shocks are going to be better than the (presumably Showa) stock suspension. Progressive also do a cartridge fork internal that I used on my old Road King. I was very impressed with them. Drop 'em in and away you go. Let's be honest though, if you want something that handles....Harleys are not really in the running. Laws of diminishing returns in my view.

Thanks Melch
Not after any thing more than a bit more comfort, less front dive less bottoming out on the rear when 2 up, we had a road king before the FatBob found it better sprung all round but not as manageable in town traffic and tight manovering it was a 2003 bike perhaps a later RK could be better.
I like the sound of the cartridge inserts will look in to them thanks.

I have Progressive front and back on my Electra Glide - very pleased with the change - but I only ride solo.

The front forks are Showa - I know a few guys that have dropped Honda intervals into the front - VFR I think - I’m seeing one later this week - I’ll ask.

The front forks are Showa - I know a few guys that have dropped Honda intervals into the front - VFR I think - I’m seeing one later this week - I’ll ask.

Thank you for your input Twizzle, I knew you guys on here would have some help for me.

I think there will a limit to what you can achieve even if you shell out huge sums of money. The limiting factor is the amount of travel available (certainly on the rear). Ultimately that is always going to result in a harsher ride.

I think there will a limit to what you can achieve even if you shell out huge sums of money. The limiting factor is the amount of travel available (certainly on the rear). Ultimately that is always going to result in a harsher ride.

Right yes I see what you mean the lack of travel on the rear being the limiting factor, no simple fix then.
Our Road King was more forgiving I don't recall it ever bottoming out 2up,hence I wondered if the air shocks might fit the FatBob and improve things, perhaps I need to look at a later Road King, IIRC after 2010 they had a frame redesign, possibly if they carry their weight better the bike might be more manageable.

I had the same issue with my Fat Bob, I went with Ricor Intiminator 49mm emulators in the front, and Hagon Nitros 1" longer in the back, if you go with the Hagons they will build them to your weight. Improved it no end, but, it's still a Harley Dyna.

I had the same issue with my Fat Bob, I went with Ricor Intiminator 49mm emulators in the front, and Hagon Nitros 1" longer in the back, if you go with the Hagons they will build them to your weight. Improved it no end, but, it's still a Harley Dyna.

Thanks Dean
I have made contact with Hagon ( like the idea of an extra 1" of travel) should have a price today, did you buy the emulators from the states or can I get them here in the UK.

I spoke to the guy I mentioned earlier, and he recommended the exact same set up as above for a Fat Bob - He said it will improve things no end.

T

I spoke to the guy I mentioned earlier, and he recommended the exact same set up as above for a Fat Bob - He said it will improve things no end.

T

Thank you Twizzel,2 recommendations is good enough for me Hagon failed to get back to me today will give them a chase-up Monday.

Hi, I ordered the emulators from the states. And got the correct grade of fork oil from opi oils, it’s all on the Ricor website.

Back
Top Bottom