help with a restoration?

L

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just picked up my old man's old 50's BSA which has been stored in pieces for the past 30 odd years. I'd like to get it up and running again, but don't have all the know-how, time or facilities to do it all myself (but I would like to be involved). Does anyone know someone (preferably in the Oxford area) who may be interested in helping me out....?

Hi

I’ve been given a contact down in Devon. His bikes have featured in Classic Bike mag a few times. When I’m home from babysitting duties, I’ll pm the details

Bill

Either Pete the bike restorer (the Bike show) Kidlington. or

Viv of V-moto (see this months classic bike mag) 100yds from me in Enslow (he is doing my 64 Triumph engine)

Pm for contact numbers.

Graham.

I've just picked up my old man's old 50's BSA which has been stored in pieces for the past 30 odd years. I'd like to get it up and running again, but don't have all the know-how, time or facilities to do it all myself (but I would like to be involved). Does anyone know someone (preferably in the Oxford area) who may be interested in helping me out....?

I've got a few old bikes dating from the late '20s to the late 70s. They're all simple which is just as well as my mechanical skills are limited. Your BSA is simple too - you don't say the model but at most it will have two cylinders, one or two carbs and perhaps a magneto. My suggestion is to put all the bits back together, 'loosely' so that you can see what is missing and what obviously needs to be fixed. You can find pictures, manuals etc on the web which will help you figure out what goes where. Don't worry at this point about getting it running. As you reassemble it, make notes of what you want to fix and what you might need help with. I use Microsoft's 'OneNote' which is free, to keep track of each of my bikes. Take pictures, make notes, keep web pages, find suppliers etc and stick the whole lot in OneNote.

Get a copy of 'Old Bike Mart' or one of the classic bike mags and look at the supplier adverts to figure out who can help with specific items. Look for forums such as the BSA Owners Club, and any number of other sites, where you can ask for advice. Go to a few autojumbles but don't buy until you are really, really sure what you need. Then pull the bike apart again and rebuild it properly, calling in the experts that you've identified from ads etc. if necessary.

BTW, don't be in a big hurry to repaint/rechrome/polish every part. It's an old bike and a lot of people like it to look old - its the 'patina'. Just fix up the mechanical bits and the electrics, and ride it. If you grow to love it you can always fix the cosmetics later.

BTW, don't be in a big hurry to repaint/rechrome/polish every part. It's an old bike and a lot of people like it to look old - its the 'patina'. Just fix up the mechanical bits and the electrics, and ride it. If you grow to love it you can always fix the cosmetics later.

100 percent agree with this. I think these days enthusists tend to want the bike to be original, and wear its years with pride (but of course be mechanically spot on) rather than just being yet another over restored garage queen. Its only oroginal once!

Back
Top Bottom