Rear Mudguard Mounting Bolt Hole On FD Casing - Threads Damaged

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2002 R1150GS.

It seems I may have damaged the threads when attempting to refit the bolt when fitting my new-to-me rear mudguard. The bolt turned easily for one 360-degree rotation, but then went quite tight, so I backed off and tried again, with the same result. When I removed my broken mudguard a couple of weeks ago, I fitted this bolt into the same hole (so as not to lose it while waiting for my new-to-me mudguard to arrive) and it went in all the way with average resistance.

So...

Is this bolt-hole (circled in red in the attached pic) blanked or is it an open hole into the FD casing? If it's a hole, I obviously have to get it sorted somehow - how?

If it's blanked, might I get away with relying on just the other two mudguard mounting bolts (circled in green in the attached pic), and leaving that third bolt to retire in my tool box?

The bolt is unmarked - no evidence of having been damaged or even forced, but I can see fresh shiny aluminium for the first 2 threads in the bolt-hole, which I'm seeing as evidence of me cross-threading the bolt. Seems like the bolt steel is way harder than the FD housing aluminium.

TIA. :thumb2

Mudguard Mount 2.jpg

Blanked hole, leave as is or re-tap it if needs be.

Or just leave the rear mudguard off completely

what is exactly the function of that rear mudguard. the obvious reply is to stop mud flying up etc but i read somewhere, in reality this mudflap is there simply to pass some regulations in germany? is this correct?

what is exactly the function of that rear mudguard. the obvious reply is to stop mud flying up etc but i read somewhere, in reality this mudflap is there simply to pass some regulations in germany? is this correct?
It's a bit of both. Without it, you will get a nice rooster tail of water coming off the rear tyre in the wet. Therefore the regs won't allow this. Bit it does actually work, I'd be inclined to keep it on there especially if you use the bike in all weathers as the mess will be even greater... Yea, ok, some think it looks cool without it. I guess I'm not in that camp. I think it's one of those original quirks about the bike I like - yes, the idea has since been used by other marks out there.

If you've stripped it (as you say not so difficult) then just carefully drill out and re-tap for the next size screw up

It's solid enough with 2 bolts so either plug the hole with grease or drill and re-tap if fussy.
The hugger does work in stopping water/dirt getting thrown up the back of the bike and if you carry a pillion in wet conditions it's worth having.

Back
Top Bottom