Basecamp hitting 98% CPU on Macbook pro

Flipper_Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if its latest version of Mac OS or the Nav VI but plugging in my Nav VI and starting up Basecamp on my Macbook Pro Retina (lots of horsepower) and the thing sucks up all the CPU and works like a dog ?! Worked fine a couple of months ago. Tried the usual of restarting both devices etc. Just running - incredibly slowly. Disconnect the Nav VI and Basecamp runs fine again.....

Any ideas ?

Map detail set to 'max' ? Constant redrawing of the detail might do it?

Not sure if its latest version of Mac OS or the Nav VI but plugging in my Nav VI and starting up Basecamp on my Macbook Pro Retina (lots of horsepower) and the thing sucks up all the CPU and works like a dog ?! Worked fine a couple of months ago. Tried the usual of restarting both devices etc. Just running - incredibly slowly. Disconnect the Nav VI and Basecamp runs fine again.....

Any ideas ?

I'm not a Mac user, but on a PC, Basecamp spends several minutes accessing the memory of the Nav V via USB to read the maps and other data. You can check progress by looking at the thin green line beneath the Nav name in the LH panel. The tedious process of reading gigs of map data via USB happens even when the maps are installed on the local hard disc. Perhaps something similar is happening on your Mac, and there's some bottleneck in the USB data transfer?

What Tomcat said.

Does it keep hogging up CPU cycles even if you leave it be for 5/10 minutes (with the GPS connected)?

Yep - still hogs it once the map has been read....

Ok....might have been user error :) I had copied the Garmin map file off to a 200gb SSD card on the Macbook pro.....and I'm guessing the performance of it isnt up to scratch. Now copied the map back and it works ok (although CPU still going very high for some reason?!).

This is the app I used - very useful:
JaVaWa GMTK 4.1

From GPS-Expert.nl

Just checked on my Mac.
CPU usage jumps up to 98% (100% means a single core on multicore machines, so wouldn't worry too much) for a little while if I resize/read different portions of the map.

Latest version of Basecamp seems a bit buggy to me (crashes often) but I don't use it that much to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom