Tappet adjustment K1300 gt

Deleted account 190920002

Reaction score
Well guys another query about KA’s, my neighbour who is quite handy with spanner’s he wants to know if adjusting / checking his K1300 tappets is within his scope. The guy is very handy and services his old 4x4. He wanted me to find out the basics involved and looking at his bike there seems a lot of bodywork fuel tank to be removed. I told him to buy a workshop manual for the bike which I think he’s doing although he is looking at an eBay one so I’m not sure how complete/ upto date that will be.
Thanks for any help I’ll pass on as his is not iPad / computer savvy.

Checking the clearances is not difficult to do.

If you have to change any shims you will need a tool to lift the camshaft out evenly. I made one up with studding with nuts and washers. You can mic them up but the size is written on the edge.

The main problem is vacuum filling the cooling system because the radiator has to be removed.

Thanks Smug ive just looked at his eBay dvd and yes if you’ve got the patience it’s do-able but there is a lot of work and I think he’s decided to take it to Motorrad Dalkeith which actually is a good idea. Also he’s retired on a whacky great pension (unlike me) so it’s really a no brainier in my eyes anyway.

It bugs me that motorcycle valve clearances have to be checked so often. Why can manufacturers not use the self adjusting type as they do on cars. In the 80s on fast revving car engines it was said they couldn't be used but many motorcycle engines don't rev that high so there's no reason they couldn't be used. Checking bike valve clearances involves a huge amount of work and in many instances is very costly. I do my own but every time I do I think it would be very easy not to need to.

There are many reasons bike engines don’t have hydraulic tappets. One being the rpms that bike engines get to. I don’t know too many cars that rev to 9 10 11 or 12 000 rpm. You would not get the valve control nessessary for the high output of bike engines with slushey valve operation. JJH

There are many reasons bike engines don’t have hydraulic tappets. One being the rpms that bike engines get to. I don’t know too many cars that rev to 9 10 11 or 12 000 rpm. You would not get the valve control nessessary for the high output of bike engines with slushey valve operation. JJH

GS's both 800 and 1200 don't rev that high and I'm certain many other tourers don't either. I had both Triumph 800 and 1200 Explorers and they weren't high revving either. Triumph service costs are hugely expensive when it's time to check their valves.

The K1300 valve clearance checks are carried out at every 18,000 miles. I'm not sure that dealers are all that fussy when they check them. Most claim that they never require adjustment. Six valve clearances had to be reset on my K1200S at the 72,000 mile service which I did myself.

There are many reasons bike engines don’t have hydraulic tappets. JJH

To generate revenue for the dealers perhaps....

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for all comments well Ben with the K1300 is a handy guy but after showing him the info on his eBay dvd he decided it’s a bridge to far for him. Talking about fussy dealers the dream of my life in 1976 was my mag wheeled Ducati 900 ss I was a bit nervous of shimming the desmo valve gear and took it down to Carnells I’d checked the clearances previously and one exhaust was slightly out. Well after all that they hadn’t touched the desmo valve gear they said it was in spec but I don’t think they ever looked at it. Did it all myself after that, same with my gsa now I’m retired the mountains I climbed in my fishy tech days make changing the old BM’s oils, brake fluid, etc small beer espially being retired and you know it’s been done correctly

Back
Top Bottom