Klim Traverse and Overland

GSJones

Reaction score
Morning all
I'm after some advice on these two jackets. I have a halvarssons laminated trousers which i'm happy with but ideally want a laminated jacket.

Halvarssons amazonas pretty good but no venting on front. The other halvarssons (prime and hercules) have a liner rather than laminate.

So i'm probably looking elswhere. With regard to these two klim options, i know there are many happy owbers here but is the material up to road riding (what i do most by far) protection or are they an off road jacket in reality? Don't mind layering but thinking more of abrasion etc.

Out of left field came that Dane Nystad in the other thread. Cracking value but same problem as amazonas re venting.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Since no-one with those jackets has answered, I'll give you a response which might be a start.

I have a Klim Blade Gore-tex laminated jacket. Not the same jacket, but to give you a feel for Klim construction, it's a 2 layer laminate, ie the waterproof layer is bonded to the outer and has a mesh inner liner, rather than 3 layer where the waterproof layer is sandwiched between 2 layers to make the garment heavier but tougher. My jacket has Cordura outer which is beefed up around impact areas, the toughest being 600d so comparatively lightweight. It is, however, a design focused for on-road use, and comes with full D30 soft CE armour. I haven't been down the road in it, and hope not to but, before buying, I read reviews by someone who had and it stood up well. It is super comfortable, being a fraction of the weight of the Alpinestars leather I wore before it and a delight to wear.

More details on mine, albeit not a model you quote, might be handy as typical of the brand. It has bicep vents, underarm vents and a single rear vent, all sealed with waterproof YKK zips, whilst the YKK front zip has effective rain guttering. The jacket has been totally waterproof through long motorway journeys in torrential rain, and has stayed comfortable at temps of 80+ with the vents open. Stacks of pockets, 5 outside which are waterproof and 5 internal. Excellent, unobtrusive reflective panelling too. The only thing I'd wish to improve on it is a method of holding the flaps back when the neck is open. Small beer really.

It's surprisingly warm without lots underneath because it's 100% windproof so there's absolutely no draughts. There's room for (say) a fleece because Klim design it for you to add your own layers as appropriate. So far I've needed nothing beyond a tee shirt and a fleece jumper, but I've not been below about 5c yet. I have done the high peak district, North York moors, Dartmoor, etc, however, and I'm pretty confident I won't need to crack out my old winter jacket for any UK riding. I was hoping for a single, year round, all weather jacket so I didn't need to carry waterproof oversuit, internal Gore-tex liners, thermal linings, etc, to cope with changing weather conditions, relying instead on multi use tech layers that are easy to carry and would be useful when out and about or on travels anyway. I reckon it's just the job and at £299 in J&S sale it's been an absolute bargain.

Dunno how relevant you'll find all of that, but I hope the general Klim flavour is of some help.

Thanks for that Sea Dog. I see that there are still Blades available at a good price. They seem fairly short in the photos - is it a short jacket?

Any views on the other two jackets for mainly road use would be great too. TIA

Thanks for that Sea Dog. I see that there are still Blades available at a good price. They seem fairly short in the photos - is it a short jacket?

Any views on the other two jackets for mainly road use would be great too. TIA

I wouldn't say it was much like the photos at all, strangely enough! If it hadn't been in a J&S store close to me to try, I wouldn't have bought it. It looks rather short and pretty shapeless, but once on its somehow neither of those things. I showed it to my missus on the hanger and she didn't like it, but once I tried it on she loved it! Mine's light grey, which probably looks worse in photos than the black, but it has a nice quality look about it in the flesh (to my eyes anyway) and is rather smart. There's nothing of the bedraggled, scruffy Herbert look you get with some m/c clothing!

It's not a long jacket by any means - once on, it's more like a relaxed bomber jacket - but it is slightly longer at the back than the front, so it certainly doesn't ride up. There's an elasticated drawstring to keep the draught out from below and on the bike it just seems to sit nicely across my lap and covers the rear without sitting on it. I like the fit actually, and I've had not issues with riding up or weather protection on a GS-LC. How it would be for serious off-road I've no idea, but part of its appeal for me is that I didn't want that look - or the weight which often goes with the adventure textile jackets. Its light weight and lack of bulk from now liners is a joy.

Last week, based on our experience of my Blade, I ordered the missus a previous model Klim Altitude, another 500 quid jacket from fc-moto.de for about 230 quid, but it is a return postage risk as they had few sizes left. Despatched from Germany yesterday after a week, I hope to see it shortly! They have a bunch of Klim jackets at good prices, but can't vouch for their service yet. Free returns in Germany, but a premium to pay for returns from here. I'm sure you've looked at gear reviews on Revzilla. com, right?

Anyway, there's even more of my experience with Klim and the Blade, but I can't comment on their other styles. Hope that helps.

I have a Traverse suit. I've used it for three big tours where lots of gravel was involved - Alaska, Iceland and southern Africa.

It's a really good piece of kit in many ways:
- 100% waterproof - apart from the neck, which is very wide/loose.
- reasonably well vented. Trousers are better than jacket. The under arm vents are big in the jacket but allow armour to move around.
- just a shell, so good for wide range of weather - easy to layer up or down. I've worn just a quick-dry t-shirt under it in Africa; I've worn a down jacket, fleece long johns AND a heated vest under it in Iceland.
- it seems pretty tough. I've had the odd low-speed spill, though never been properly down the road in it. It still looks like new.

Would I use it as a full-on road suit? Probably not.
- the materials are genuinely tough and it's very well made but the fit is the issue with jacket and trousers.
- they're quite boxy and loose, so you can get layers and body armour underneath.
- the jacket does have pockets for armour (it comes with D3o stuff) but only for the smaller, thinner, less protective stuff.
- the armour pockets in the trousers are better.
- in an off, the armour would likely move out of place very easily.
- the jacket doesn't zip to the trousers.

Summary. Top kit; very well made and reliable. Best for off-road or trail riding. I wouldn't trust it as a full-on road/touring outfit.

Tremendously helpful. Thanks for taking the time. The jacket seems worthy of a bit more investigation at that price.

You're welcome. Good to have an alternative view of another Klim jacket (perhaps more in your sights than the Blade?) from Richard. The Blade is much more road focused I'd say and it sounds likenthe armour in mine stays put better - the sleeves have a sort of lycra lining to hold position. Unusual technique and perhaps not to everyone's liking because it feels a little grippy as you don the jacket, but it hasn't interfered with anything I've tried on under the jacket, including a Sprayway Fleece and a Musto Snug jacket. I think the Blade is not a mainstream jacket (is anything from Klim?) so it will be a bit Marmite - it was definitely a left field choice for me! So, if your interest is piqued by it, find somewhere to try it or that does free returns!

Thanks Richard
I think deep down I anticipated that the Traverse wouldn't be the best choice for a mainly road jacket. The Overland is, I gather, a snugger fit with better armour so would be interested to hear if that cuts it as mainly road jacket. The blade is certainly now an option - possibly for around the same price as I could get an old stock Amazonas but with better venting to make use all year round possible.

One last question seadog - is the fit as generous as other Klims? I have calculated that I am a large in their sizing. Does the blade come in the same as the others?

Thanks again.

I'm 5'9", 42" chest and my Alpinestars leather jacket is a European 52 iirc. The Klim medium was certainly too tight for me, so I have a large which is comfortable and can accommodate layers. I'd say the arms come in a little long, knuckle length, but on the bike they're ideal and the wrists have Velcro closures so I cinch those when I'm wandering about in it. I can't remember which other Klim I tried, but the sizing was similar.

I'm 5'9", 42" chest and my Alpinestars leather jacket is a European 52 iirc. The Klim medium was certainly too tight for me, so I have a large which is comfortable and can accommodate layers. I'd say the arms come in a little long, knuckle length, but on the bike they're ideal and the wrists have Velcro closures so I cinch those when I'm wandering about in it. I can't remember which other Klim I tried, but the sizing was similar.
Quick question if I may...I'm of very similar dimensions and was wondering what size Klim Blade jacket did you go with?

Hmm
I would have gone with a large in the adventure style jackets but may need an xl if i plump for the Blade. I'm 6ft 2 and 15 amd half stone and 42 - 44 inch chest.

Years playing rugby and then cycling fairly competitively says yes! Chest has shrunk a bit but shoulders are still wide so tend to find some things a bit boxy around the middle.

Quick question if I may...I'm of very similar dimensions and was wondering what size Klim Blade jacket did you go with?

The Klim medium was certainly too tight for me, so I have a large... but I would just add that I think I'd be swamped by the XL, although I didn't try it.

If it helps, my Badlands Pro jkt is an L and I'm somewhere in the region of 42/43. I can wear a thin down jack under without issue.

D.

Just to wrap this one up although very tempted by a few Klim offerings and even a couple of Rukkas (horrible when you start justifying an ever increasing budget to yourself!!), I settled for a Halvarssons Amazonas. Laminated jacket which was once about £500 and got it for £259 delivered. Matches the trousers perfectly and the quality is excellent, with an outlast liner too.

For anyone interested, the 56 fits me perfectly with room for a base layer and a mid layer too if needed.

...... I settled for a Halvarssons Amazonas. Laminated jacket which was once about £500 and got it for £259 delivered. Matches the trousers perfectly and the quality is excellent, with an outlast liner too.

That is a good price, where was that from please? I have been toying with a Klim Traverse or Blade both circa £295, but I have always been impressed with my Halvarsson's gear, which is great if but a little worn, after many years of all year use .........

:mmmm

Back
Top Bottom