Stiff clutch on 1100s

richard shaw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The clutch lever on my 1100s is a lot stiffer than the one on my gs is this the norm or can I do something to make it easy , any ideas
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your R1100S has a hydraulically-actuated single-plate dry clutch.
The slave cylinder which pushes the actuation rod through the bell-housing and onto the clutch pack diaphragm under hydraulic pressure from the clutch lever, is an inadequate item sourced by Berlin from a maker of accessories for push-bikes - Magura in Slovakia. As an excuse for employing it, BMW back in the day pleaded lack of space in the area directly in front of the rear wheel - balderdash.
This back-to-front, Morris Mini-Minor-style dry clutch is the bane of many riders lives, owners of this model of boxer. The most common cause of problems with the system, including ever-more effort being required to operate it, is old fluid, ( change the fluid every ten seconds, one owner told me ruefully ) and contamination of the clutch friction plate by leaking fluid caused by a collapsing slave-cylinder bearing.
Investigate at your earliest convenience, please Richard, or run the risk of t-r-o-u-b-l-e.
There's loads of stuff on the web in general and some vids on the Toob for you to watch in horror.
AL in s.e. Spain
BMW_R1100_S.png

Your R1100S has a hydraulically-actuated single-plate dry clutch.
The slave cylinder which pushes the actuation rod through the bell-housing and onto the clutch pack diaphragm under hydraulic pressure from the clutch lever, is an inadequate item sourced by Berlin from a maker of accessories for push-bikes - Magura in Slovakia. As an excuse for employing it, BMW back in the day pleaded lack of space in the area directly in front of the rear wheel - balderdash.
This back-to-front, Morris Mini-Minor-style dry clutch is the bane of many riders lives, owners of this model of boxer. The most common cause of problems with the system, including ever-more effort being required to operate it, is old fluid, ( change the fluid every ten seconds, one owner told me ruefully ) and contamination of the clutch friction plate by leaking fluid caused by a collapsing slave-cylinder bearing.
Investigate at your earliest convenience, please Richard.
There's loads of stuff on the web in general and some vids on the Toob for you to watch in horror.
AL in s.e. Spain
BMW_R1100_S.png

Thanks for that , I will have a play as it's in bits at the moment,
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom