Possible offer.

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been offered a possible exchange for my Thunderace.

2001 1150 GS. With top box and satnav. 31k miles.

Quite a few scrapes and bubbling rust on swing arm and a few other places.

Never owned a bmw before until the 2017 1200GSA I have now which I love but need to keep the miles down(pcp) so don’t want to use as my commuter. Hence the offer.

He says it’s worth approx 2k.

Anything I should look out for? I’m not after mint, just reliable summer transport to work and back a few times a month.

Thanks.

as long as the clutch is ok evey thing else is pritty easy to sort out

Keep the Thunderace..even put a high bar conversion on it..at least you know what you have :thumb2

I would but it’s not the bike for commuting. Plus the knees aren’t what they were and the pegs are too high.

£2k seems fair enough.
Check the clutch and look for play in the bearings....usual stuff.
Pretty bulletproof bikes.

Dont be persuaded by a satnav. 31K miles is very low milage for that old a bike. JJH

No I have several satnavs anyway. Low miles is a good thing though surely?

It can be, if the milage has been steadily accrued over the years; if however its been stood for several years then there are other areas to consider. e.g. My first GS was an 1100 with low miles but had been stood for most of its life. The water in the brake fluid eroded a channel in the master cylinder which rendered the brakes ineffective at a very inconvenient moment.

No I have several satnavs anyway. Low miles is a good thing though surely?

It depends. I'd rather see a few miles on the bike. Some times I feel there are a few miles you cannot see. I think bikes that hav'nt done a lot of miles give more trouble. I've had a good few bms and do a lot of milage. I dont seem to have the troubles that crop up here regularley. No clutches batterys no nothing but tyers and serviceing. JJH

It depends. I'd rather see a few miles on the bike. Some times I feel there are a few miles you cannot see. I think bikes that hav'nt done a lot of miles give more trouble. I've had a good few bms and do a lot of milage. I dont seem to have the troubles that crop up here regularley. No clutches batterys no nothing but tyers and serviceing. JJH

Ok fair enough. Thanks for the thoughts.

Nobody wants my 1150 GSA with 62k ??

Nobody wants my 1150 GSA with 62k ??

Why not? I’m sure it would be a good buy. Depending on price and condition. 62k miles is nothing on these bikes. Condition is everything. A few tasteful bits of bling panniers ect always help. JJH

Why not? I’m sure it would be a good buy. Depending on price and condition. 62k miles is nothing on these bikes. Condition is everything. A few tasteful bits of bling panniers ect always help. JJH

Bike is mint
Full BMW service history
Aftermarket suspension
System panniers
All the right bits
Not a sniff

Dont be persuaded by a satnav. 31K miles is very low milage for that old a bike. JJH

What price? Is it overpriced? JJH
JB amd I are in more or less the same camp. Not much interest in mine either (mine had only 59k on it, I mean compared to that hefty 62k of JB's - haha). These bikes ate just about run in.

It's the dreaded PCP delayed purchase concept that's destroying the second-hand market.
An entirely negative trend and worse for us having been dreamt up by the franchises and lenders.
I heard on the radio the other day that the UK personal debt mountain is now up to the level pre-crash.
Worrying....
AL in s.e. Spain

Back
Top Bottom