Old Garmin maps

Bear

Reaction score
Apart from nostalgia perhaps, is there any reason why I would want to keep copies of Garmin maps going back for several years? I can't think of one offhand but I'm open to reasoned argument.

Also, is there any way of making Garmin Express save maps where I want them to save me moving them later on? I'm abut to collect a new computer with a relatively small ssd for the c: drive so maps go on the 1TB d: drive.

If using windows you should be able to MOVE your maps from the C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\ folder. (or where ever they are on your machine) and put them on your bigger drive, you will then need to create a shortcut to where the maps are now in the folder where you moved your maps from, eg (C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\ folder). hope this helps.
Just a thought if you are moving multiple maps you will need a shortcut for each map set folder.

Keeping old maps, serves no useful function. If in doubt, when did you last need to use the old maps?

The only reason for keeping old maps is that you have devices that cannot be upgraded beyond that release, either because they use a different mapset (i.e. maps for my Zumo 660 are often one release behind my Nav V) or because I have not purchased lifetime maps for some units.
Maps eat up a lot of space so I always delete old versions once I have tested the new one.

Experimentation confirms leedude03's observation: all I need is a shortcut where Basecamp expects to find the maps. As both my devices use the latest NTU mapping legacy support isn't an issue Wapping has confirmed my feeling that old maps simply waste disc space.

Thanks gents.

Glad its sorted. did not think there would be any issue, it may not have worked on a mac, never having used one in anger i would not know.

The only reason for keeping old maps is that you have devices that cannot be upgraded beyond that release, either because they use a different mapset (i.e. maps for my Zumo 660 are often one release behind my Nav V) or because I have not purchased lifetime maps for some units.
Maps eat up a lot of space so I always delete old versions once I have tested the new one.

If you have an old device, incapable of running a new map, then indeed the last map released (that the device is capable of running) is worth keeping, or you'll have no useable mapping.

Back
Top Bottom