What have I done? I want it back!!

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've not posted in months, but i'm depressed after taking an Africa Twin out for a test ride today, having sold my GS over the summer (TO PAY FOR BLOODY DOUBLE GLAZING!) and being told that my neck is utterly knackered so ever riding the Blackbird more than about 20 miles is even less of a possibility than it was six months ago.

Why am I depressed? Because the Africa Twin was (genuinely) an amazing bike to ride, but when I slipped past our house to show it to my wife the conversation went like this:

me: It's nice, isn't it?
her: Yes, it's very red! How's your neck and arm?
me: Fine! Amazing really.
her: Better than on your GS?
me: Er, no, not really. Probably the same to be honest!
her: Is it comfier than your GS?
me: Er, no. In fact my left bum cheek has gone to sleep. Give it a rub, will you?
her: No. How much is this?
me, Er, £9990.
her: And how much would a nice GS be?
me: About £4k? I gave mine away for £2600
her: Why are we having this conversation?
me: Er........

So there you are. The front of my brain has finally realised what the back of my brain was screaming at me when I signed my bike over to the really nice chap who bought it. I'm now depressed that I sold my fully-loaded 2000 R1150GS when I should have sold the blackbird. You live and learn, and i've learned I want my GS back!

I'm going to go back to lurking in the shadows of the forum whilst counting my slowly accruing stacks of pennies until the day (hopefully next year if everything i've planned out falls right!) I can get another 1150. Only this time it's going to be a GSA. With every farkle imaginable. For less than half the price of a new bike which really doesn't do anything better for my use, anyway), and a lot of things worse!

Another sad story which seems all to familiar. But WTF, sold for double glazing .

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I know!!

Truth is I was guaranteed to be able to sell the GS, and the blackbird has been in the family since new. Plus it’s only done 12k miles since ‘99..... we needed windows and my neck had been feeling better! Turns out I have nerve compression in two places and riding it severely aggravates the issue.

At least I now know what I need to do....save up a bit, flog the blackbird on the relevant owners club forum and buy another GS on here. No brainier really.

I was amazed at how good the AT was....but even more amazed/depressed to admit that it’s actually no more useful to me than my 17 year old GS was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm waiting to find my alarm fob for the blackbird!
I have the jaws handlebar conversion to fit at some point to help my neck
Have you considered it?

I'm waiting to find my alarm fob for the blackbird!
I have the jaws handlebar conversion to fit at some point to help my neck
Have you considered it?

Thought about that, or fitting vfr800 bars as they sit higher, but neither appealed to me in the end. Iirc both need longer throttle cables and an extension to the switch gear wiring too, which was too much faff. The GS was just right from the off....

The problem is more that my back needs to be more vertical so my head isn’t tilting backwards. I think I’d need to bring the ‘bird bars up and back quite significantly to get them right ☹️

I think your right
Having said that I checked and jaws do the extended cables too!
I ended up getting an 1100rt whilst the g's was off the road and its so much more comfortable and doesn't need a different seat
Good luck with your decision

Pretty sure Jaws conversion kit fits with all the original cables and hoses. The instructions detail how and where to reroute to suit. Just about everyone that does it says it completely transforms things and extends their riding life. For what it costs its gotta be worth a try.

I loved both my Blackbirds, through the Jaws bar risers didn’t really make much difference for me. I’m sure a flat bar conversion would do it, with I’d tried !
Real issue for me is the ‘bird has a very big tank and it’s a long reach to the bars.
Of course, there’s not so many good ones left out there either.

I did the same, have had numerous blackbirds over the years and could not get comfy with the last one, so I fitted a flatbar conversion, it helped a little, but not enough to keep her. Have had my 1150GS for nearly 2 years and unfortunately will never be going back to a bird.

Back
Top Bottom