Centre stand refinish

Haroldsenior

Reaction score
Is there an accepted best way to have the centre stand of my 2013 TE refinished?
Also the springs look more difficult than the loop of string system to remove. Is the coins in the coils the best way?

Is there an accepted best way to have the centre stand of my 2013 TE refinished?
Also the springs look more difficult than the loop of string system to remove. Is the coins in the coils the best way?

Ok, This is what I did. And my other GSA Mates did the same when they saw my finish.

Don't need to remove it.

Lightly sand down the Centre Stand yourself to scuff the existing paint.

Buy some Hammerite Smooth Gloss Black paint and a decent paint brush.

Paint the Hammerite directly onto your stand (you don't have to remove it), and let it dry in nice weather or inside.

Then buy a neoprene Chain Stay Protector, cut it to the right length (it's rubber with a velcro faster) and wrap it around your main centre bar when the paint is dry, like this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lizard-Skins-Neoprene-Chainstay-Protector/dp/B004NRNE22

The chain stay protector will bounce grit and stones, and the paintwork underneath will remain solid as a 'rock' for ever more.

Attachments

• Inspection 2.jpg
    Inspection 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,653
  • Paint 1.jpg
    Paint 1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1,684
  • Paint 6.jpg
    Paint 6.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,682
You can see it here on this picture.

Trick from my Mountain Biking days. :D

Attachments

• ChainStay.jpg
    ChainStay.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,697

I tried the coins trick which was useless. Tied a very strong flat lace from a trainer to a ratchet strap, then attached one end to a towing eye of a vehicle. Lace attached to the spring plate and with no effort at all, just ratcheted the thing into place.

Bloody hell - the cross bar on my centre stand was bare metal after 6 months from new. The replacement GS got a length of split convoluted tube over it as soon as I got it home.

'Survival Duck' neoprene chain stay protector ordered. Thanks for the tip, Warlord!

I had mine powder coated. It's an option my local dealer offers if you want to or of course to replace the stand for a new one if corroded. The powder coating seems to be standing up to the grit thrown at it well. Just another option for you. :D

I've used triple layer helicopter tape on mine, held in place by a cable tie at each end. once the first layer gets worn away by the flying crud I put a new bit on.

Center stand

I use black copper pipe insulation ,2 mtr length which you can pick up at any plumber or B&Q store. three plastic ties, replace as necessary. mine is two yr old still on the original ,although could do with replacement.

Mine was powder coated 2 years ago. Rust has returned under the coating in all the original areas. Not impressed TBH.
I’ve just had the Kettle seat pan grit blasted and zinc metal sprayed. The surface is much like shot blast but needs a rub with (wet) wet/dry paper to take the specks off. Finish with etch prime and powder coat or paint.
A suitable rubber hose split down one side protects the centre bar from stones.

I have fitted a Rugged Roads guard to the centre stand on my last couple of bikes, a strip of helicopter tape down the main tubes and cross brace and job's a good 'un, no corrosion and all the spray and grit blasting effect from the front tyre only hits the anodised aluminium guard not the stand.

smugshot_612228-L.jpg

You could also cut up an old bicycle inner tube and secure with cable ties...

cheaper and more environmentally friendly for the tight ones amongst us

Back
Top Bottom