Accelarator module... any good?

Some will say yes ......some will say no, they are only snake oil.

I used one for a good while and was happy with it.

They are not expensive, give it a try and see what you think yourself.

I use one on my TC and it smooths out the 30-40 hr constant throttle riding

If detonation is a problem then I would suspect that you have a problem with your knock sensors.
Put a resistor in line with your air temperature sensor, same as an Accelerator module but cheaper.
When you get your AFR meter hooked up then connect the resistor/module and see how quickly it reverts to 14.7 to 1 in closed loop and how long it takes to adapt it out in open loop.
On opening the throttle for the first fraction of a second it goes open loop, I think that it is at this point that it could have an effect.
I run my TC at 13.8 to 1 using an AF-XIED and they do work.

If detonation is a problem then I would suspect that you have a problem with your knock sensors.
Put a resistor in line with your air temperature sensor, same as an Accelerator module but cheaper.
When you get your AFR meter hooked up then connect the resistor/module and see how quickly it reverts to 14.7 to 1 in closed loop and how long it takes to adapt it out in open loop.
On opening the throttle for the first fraction of a second it goes open loop, I think that it is at this point that it could have an effect.
I run my TC at 13.8 to 1 using an AF-XIED and they do work.

Yes.. think the knock sensors are working.. because its not full knock IYKWIM.. its more a bit of chatter... so its being controled....
But those divices look interesting.... Wonder if anyone has some for sale?

There were a set of AF-XIED`s for a 1200 on the for sale site by DeuceBG, on the 20-10-17
Dont know if he sold them.

Have just sent him a PM.. these things are expensive!!..

The accelerator module. Will make an initial difference and will then be tuned. Only a remap of an AFR device like the AF XIED units will provide the change you need. I have had both on previous bikes and now run the AF units.....transform the bike and can be transferred from bike to bike. Expensive...but cheaper than a fancy end can....and very, very effective. Highly recommended.

Got an accel module on my hexhead. As stated, it made a difference but I think it's now adapted. I keep intending to unplug it for a while (2 minute job) to let it return to normal then connect it again.

Convinced thats the way to go then.. will get some ;)

thanks for your comments...

The Accelerator module made my bike run too rich except in the 4000rpm flat spot. Not worth even its low price IMO.

Got an accel module on my hexhead. As stated, it made a difference but I think it's now adapted. I keep intending to unplug it for a while (2 minute job) to let it return to normal then connect it again.

Did you have the bike serviced with the accelerator in place? If so, the bike will have been re-tuned to compensate for the slightly enriched mixture. Although it's a bit of a pain,I always remove mine before the bike gets serviced and replace it again afterwards. As to whether they work or not, IMHO it makes my 2004 hexhead slightly smoother, but I didn't expect a device that cost me around £30 to radically transform my bike's performance (and wouldn't have wanted it to anyway, thank 'ee!)

Did you have the bike serviced with the accelerator in place? If so, the bike will have been re-tuned to compensate for the slightly enriched mixture. Although it's a bit of a pain,I always remove mine before the bike gets serviced and replace it again afterwards. As to whether they work or not, IMHO it makes my 2004 hexhead slightly smoother, but I didn't expect a device that cost me around £30 to radically transform my bike's performance (and wouldn't have wanted it to anyway, thank 'ee!)
Actually yes I did, just had a 12k service done but not sure what that entails.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The ECU is unlikely to adapt because the Accelerator Module is tricking the ECU to operate as if the air was much colder. A simple resistor on the inlet air temperature sensor will do the same job. Google will find the correct value.

I’v got one kickings about you can have if you want to try it. If you like it, just stick a few bob in the cancer research tin. Pm me if you are interested.

I'd expect that would include checking / adjusting the fuelling, which would have flagged-up the enrichment your accelerator was giving and compensated it out, hence you lose the benefit. 'Course, if you take it off now the mixture will be too lean, so you might want to wait until the next service.

A simple resistor on the inlet air temperature sensor will do the same job......

Indeed - as that is all the accelerator module is.
However having the resistor in a nice neat plug-in package makes it very easy to 'whip it out', as it were, when it goes in for a service, in case they 'fiddle with the settings' or something.
I've tried my bike with and without the module. Noticed slightly less jerkiness at slow revs, as you'd expect, but nothing dramatic.
Was it value for money?
Well, mine was because I bought it second hand off this very site.
Would I have paid full retail for one?
Probably not.
Could you live without one?
Yes.

I'd expect that would include checking / adjusting the fuelling, which would have flagged-up the enrichment your accelerator was giving and compensated it out, hence you lose the benefit. 'Course, if you take it off now the mixture will be too lean, so you might want to wait until the next service.

The inlet air temperature is an external parameter the ECU continually responds to. Making the air look colder than it really is just changes the ECU response.

I think it was roger4 on this forum who proved the accelerator module wax hokum and was tuned out through his afr measurement.

Back
Top Bottom