Tft screen, nav 6 and Bluetooth headset.

Andrew 789

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anybody worked out how to get these to play nicely together.
I can't for the life of me get it all to work.

as both transmit using a2dp you need to choose one or the other.

I would suggest pairing to the nav as this provides all functions that the TFT offers plus the added benefit of route planning and advanced navigation.

I don't understand why when we switch to Nav on the tft, why they can't output the satnav speech direct to the headset via the bike Bluetooth, the k1600 does it.

What headset do you have? BMW, Cardo, Sena, ... ? I'll be picking up my 2018 GSA next week, so, I'm just curious. My old helmet (BMW sytem 6) has the BMW comm set and my new helmet (Schuberth E1) has the Sena SC10U headset.

What headset do you have? BMW, Cardo, Sena, ... ? I'll be picking up my 2018 GSA next week, so, I'm just curious. My old helmet (BMW sytem 6) has the BMW comm set and my new helmet (Schuberth E1) has the Sena SC10U headset.

I have a C3 pro with SRC pro (I thought it was the same as in the E1, aka a Cardo not a Sena device, but not sure). Was not able to make the NAV 6 work alongside TFT. For the time being, NAV 6 Bluetooth is off. Had a few bluetooth connection mishap between TFT and iPhone 6 and C3 pro, but they seem to have been resolved by the latest iPhone app update sometimes last week or the one before.

I'm considering getting a System 7 or a C4 next, but I want to be sure it's working. Software/Firmware looks like it's being a bit young and rough around the edges. Quite reassuring knowing BMW if fitting this display across the range, meaning they are invested in the tech and they should make it work properly in time...

I have cardo scala rider q1.
I can get it to work when I first connect but after I lose the connection or connect to SHMBO the Scala rider shuts down so I guess its the Scala rider that cannot cope.

Just got a 2018 ym gsa with tft. Fitted my Nav 6 and resurrected my system 6 bmw lid with comms. Paired it all up according to the manual. First ride out and the BT connection failed around eight times.
Dreams of moving forward to the sunny uplands of the BT revolution faded. In true Luddite style I fitted my trusty Autocom set.
Main driver for coughing up for tft was just to be able to read essential information without relying on the gps display. As far as that goes it’s a success.
Cheers

Just got a 2018 ym gsa with tft. Fitted my Nav 6 and resurrected my system 6 bmw lid with comms. Paired it all up according to the manual. First ride out and the BT connection failed around eight times.
Dreams of moving forward to the sunny uplands of the BT revolution faded. In true Luddite style I fitted my trusty Autocom set.
Main driver for coughing up for tft was just to be able to read essential information without relying on the gps display. As far as that goes it’s a success.
Cheers

Damn, was hoping a BMW branded comm device would work better, was almost ready to pull the trigger on a System 7... Oh well... wait and see.

As a side note, I think I noticed an odd pattern about the connectivity dashboard: Powering it off and on again in a short time doesn't really reset it, as the BT connections status are almost instantaneously resumed... It looks like while the display is powered off, the underlying electronics are still ON for a time. Problem is, when you have connection issues, they persist after multiple power-cycles and the bike doesn't attempt new connections. I wonder if there is a way to soft/hard reset the bike other than just waiting for the undisclosed delay they programmed.

Did you try a second time to pair all devices (after deleting all existing pairings in all devices first)? If so, do the problems still persist?

Damn, was hoping a BMW branded comm device would work better, was almost ready to pull the trigger on a System 7... Oh well... wait and see.

As a side note, I think I noticed an odd pattern about the connectivity dashboard: Powering it off and on again in a short time doesn't really reset it, as the BT connections status are almost instantaneously resumed... It looks like while the display is powered off, the underlying electronics are still ON for a time. Problem is, when you have connection issues, they persist after multiple power-cycles and the bike doesn't attempt new connections. I wonder if there is a way to soft/hard reset the bike other than just waiting for the undisclosed delay they programmed.

It probably is subject to the same long shutdown timeout that other of the bike's systems seem to be affected by. For example, it really annoys me that I cannot apply the keyless steering lock until this lengthy shutdown period has ended. I think it is supposed to be 60 seconds, but seems longer to me - must time it sometime.

Did you try a second time to pair all devices (after deleting all existing pairings in all devices first)? If so, do the problems still persist?

I paired, and resetted all pairings on multiple occasions, in all devices, without significant changes in the behavior. That said, since a couple days (and I think an update to the Connected app on the iPhone)it seems to be a little better.

Now, another thing I think I noticed(could be placebo effect) is that the sequence seems to be a factor. I.E. : To maximize chances of my Helmet pairing going through, I need to :

0) Having my iPhone on, with bluetooth activated (it's always on)
1) Power on the headset on my C3pro
2) Power on the Connectivity TFT about 5-10s after that

If my helmet was on for more than a couple minute before the TFT, it tends not to be able to pair(on the TFT, the phone icon is solid and a BT icon flashes endlessly), even if I power cycle the headset and/or the TFT.

Connection between TFT and iPhone is now more consistent, and I dont experience anymore the "degraded partial feature" set I have experienced some times in the past, where the iPhone and TFT seems to be connected but the app doesn't sees the bike, and contacts and nav are not available.

I paired, and resetted all pairings on multiple occasions, in all devices, without significant changes in the behavior. That said, since a couple days (and I think an update to the Connected app on the iPhone)it seems to be a little better.

Now, another thing I think I noticed(could be placebo effect) is that the sequence seems to be a factor. I.E. : To maximize chances of my Helmet pairing going through, I need to :

0) Having my iPhone on, with bluetooth activated (it's always on)
1) Power on the headset on my C3pro
2) Power on the Connectivity TFT about 5-10s after that

If my helmet was on for more than a couple minute before the TFT, it tends not to be able to pair(on the TFT, the phone icon is solid and a BT icon flashes endlessly), even if I power cycle the headset and/or the TFT.

Connection between TFT and iPhone is now more consistent, and I dont experience anymore the "degraded partial feature" set I have experienced some times in the past, where the iPhone and TFT seems to be connected but the app doesn't sees the bike, and contacts and nav are not available.

Been waiting for the comms system to arrive for my GS Helmet just to be sure everything would work with the TFT screen I also upgraded to a new Iphone just connected it all up and touch wood it's flawless,superb with music,Sat Nav no problem,phone connection spot on and the more you use the wonder wheel with the system it does work pausing tracks,making calls,changing tracks providing it keeps working as is definately happy

My bike had a software update today, honestly no idea what's been changed, tft version has not changed, no idea if it done anything to Bluetooth. Will play tomorrow.

Picked up my new GSA yesterday. Today first attempt for getting it to work.

GSA + connectivity
Navigator V
Schuberth E1 + Sena SC10U
iPhone 6S

Nav V, no BT connection, only attached to the system through its cradle.
The Sena coupled as ‘Phone pairing’ in its menu. Paired easily with the bike.
The iPhone has the app Connected, but paired via its menu Settings > Bluetooth without problems.

The app sees my bike and recognizes it as R 1200 GS Adventure (some see a bike as ‘Unknown’).

In this setup the Navigator V does not see any a2dp headset, so playng music from the gps is not possible.

I will do some more testing this week ...

Do let us know if you succeed. I suspect most owners inc myself cannot get them working fully

Do let us know if you succeed. I suspect most owners inc myself cannot get them working fully

At the Nec on Wednesday the techy guy from BMW told me you cannot connect the Nav and the TFT together with Bluetooth its one or the other once you realise thats the case using the TFt for media ,turn by turn nav and calls it does work well

At the Nec on Wednesday the techy guy from BMW told me you cannot connect the Nav and the TFT together with Bluetooth its one or the other once you realise thats the case using the TFt for media ,turn by turn nav and calls it does work well

I don't have the TFT, so could be making no sense here (not for the first time!) though I am interested in understanding this. Surely you don't need to connect the TFT and Nav together, i.e. to each other, do you? Or do you mean that you Bluetooth them both to your headset?

I would have thought that you Bluetooth your phone to the TFT so the BMW app can be the engine that powers the stuff like turn by turn navigation, music (from the phone), and phone calls, which the TFT cannot do unaided, and then you Bluetooth your headset to the TFT so that you can hear the results of that - or maybe you Bluetooth your headset to the app on the phone instead to hear that stuff. In any case I would imagine it is one or the other, not both.

Whether you can then simultaneously and separately Bluetooth the Nav to your headset I would think depends mainly on the capability of the headset to connect to multiple sources, and has nothing to do with the TFT or the Nav as such. I know that some headsets are more capable than others in this respect, and on a previous bike my Sena headset could be Bluetoothed to both the bike's audio system and my satnav, while still providing an intercomm to my pillion, but I did have some problems with which one took priority.

I don't have the TFT, so could be making no sense here (not for the first time!) though I am interested in understanding this. Surely you don't need to connect the TFT and Nav together, i.e. to each other, do you? Or do you mean that you Bluetooth them both to your headset?

I would have thought that you Bluetooth your phone to the TFT so the BMW app can be the engine that powers the stuff like turn by turn navigation, music from the phone, and phone calls, which the TFT cannot do unaided, and then you Bluetooth your headset to the TFT so that you can hear the results of that - or maybe you Bluetooth your headset to the app on the phone instead to hear that stuff. In any case I would imagine it is one or the other, not both.

Whether you can then simultaneously and separately Bluetooth the Nav to your headset I would think depends on the capability of the headset to connect to multiple sources, and has nothing to do with the TFT or the Nav as such. I know that some headsets are more capable than others in this respect, and on a previous bike my Sena headset could be Bluetoothed to both the bike's audio system and my satnav, while still providing an intercomm to my pillion, but I did have some problems with which one took priority.

No you are right I think a lot of people are disappointed that when using the Nav in the cradle it does not interconnect with the TfT so you cannot hear the Nav instructions I use BMW comms in my GS helmet so as far as I know unless someone tells me otherwise it connects only to TFT I would have to reconnect my Helmet to the Nav and cancel the TFT

No you are right I think a lot of people are disappointed that when using the Nav in the cradle it does not interconnect with the TfT so you cannot hear the Nav instructions I use BMW comms in my GS helmet so as far as I know unless someone tells me otherwise it connects only to TFT I would have to reconnect my Helmet to the Nav and cancel the TFT

So the TFT does not allow the Nav to pair with it and route its instructions through it. I am not at all surprised by that, as to do so would mean the TFT having to be able to simultaneously connect to a mobile phone, a satnav, and a BT headset and route all the incoming/outgoing audio correctly between them.

Can you not instead get your BMW BT headset to pair with both the TFT/phone app combo and the Nav at the same time in the same way that third party headsets like those from Sena can do? The two devices will then just act as multiple separate input sources to the headset.

Could be an issue which one takes priority, but depending on what mode you use to pair it, normally the satnav input will blank the other source for the duration of an instruction, but will then stop transmitting and the other source will resume. The information below is fairly specific to Sena, but might be useful.

Here is the Sena guidance on pairing modes: https://support.sena.com/hc/en-us/articles/217518866-The-Different-Pairing-Modes-on-a-Sena-Headset-

Here is a maybe more useful explanation from a forum: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ng-Multiple-Devices-to-the-Sena-SMH10-Headset

Back
Top Bottom