Rusty tool kit on 4mth old bike...

I'm tightening mine every 5-700 miles (or when I remember to check) at the moment, so every month or so. Got loads of stretch left in it yet.

D

I hardly ever adjust my chain on a 8 year old bike ( but only 18000 miles) . I think I've only done it once and that was actually to LOOSEN it because I thought the dealers had made it a bit too tight. That was thousands of miles ago. I just use a dry lube on it - Wurth

Depends on your riding style. If you commute and treat each traffic light as an F1 start the chain will be knackered in 10-15K miles. If you pull away like an old fart and never hammer the throttle, keep the chain properly lined and adjust when required it’ll probably last 40K miles. On my F700 I looked at it every 700-800 miles and adjusted it probably every 2,000 or so, but then I commute!

Rusty tools probably caused by water in the plastic keep bag at some point..
I'd clean them up as you have done, give a wipe over with WD-40 and put them in the garage or wherever and find some decent emergency tools ... Halfords seem to be having more sales than DFS. of late.. get some decent kit, the stuff supplied is shit / crap/ and must add £1.50 in value to your bike.

SO after another email to the dealer they are contacting BMW for a replacement toolkit. They have said they have never seen this happen before...

Yes that's not what I meant, to get so corroded there must be a large amount of water entering that area did you check the the plastics in that area for cracks or holes/ missing grommets?

Just had a look and the whole unseat area is dry and no sign of water damage. All the fasteners are shiny, no tide marks or spider cracks on the plastics. However I did find this little fella sleeping in the seat...!

Back
Top Bottom