Yet another fuel strip question

El Capitano

Reaction score
My fuel strip failed on my 2007 GSA about four years ago and I'm well used to using the odo to gauge my fuel stops, I've never run out by assuming 10 miles per litre. Fill it every time and 300 miles is a working limit.

I'm sick of looking at the yellow triangle and the display shouting fuel at me so I'm going to make up the three resistor spoof circuitry well documented elsewhere.

The thing is how to connect the resistor circuit to the canbus 'socket' that plugs into the top of the fuel pump housing.

I don't want to cut the wires so does anyone know where I can get a suitable 'plug' to attach to the resistor circuit so I can just plug it into the canbus connector? I've had a good look around on the internet but can't find anything similar.

Cheers, Colin

Same problem here. I want to make a fuel strip spoof circuit that allows a float gauge to be seen by the CPU as if it was a fuel strip. I'm using a standard 4 to 180 ohm level sensor. Who knows what the BMW float sensor delivers.

Fill it every time and 300 miles is a working limit.

Cheers, Colin

Feck me are you miss Daisy??

Average of 150 miles per tank , best has been 180 miles , worst 114,

do you get it out of 4th and over 56mph?? ;)

Feck me are you miss Daisy??

Average of 150 miles per tank , best has been 180 miles , worst 114,

do you get it out of 4th and over 56mph?? ;)

Quite possibly on an adventure, 36 litre tank from empty, I've had anything between 270 and 430 miles from a tankful on mine,:blast :D

Quite possibly on an adventure, 36 litre tank from empty, I've had anything between 270 and 430 miles from a tankful on mine,:blast :D

Ive never managed 430 from a tank but once manage 380 miles. The worst was 270 which makes guessing miles remaining via the odo trip a risky pastime. The fuel strip/float also varies the pump power to ensure the tank empties properly. When that's not happening the tank can run dry with 7 litres trapped on the RHS (Adv tank).

300 miles is easy on a GSA

Ive never managed 430 from a tank but once crawled it out to 380 miles. The worst was 270 which makes guessing miles remaining via the odo trip a risky pastime. The fuel strip/float also varies the pump power to ensure the tank empties properly. Without that, the pump can run dry with 7 litres trapped on the tank RHS.

Ive never managed 430 from a tank but once crawled it out to 380 miles. The worst was 270 which makes guessing miles remaining via the odo trip a risky pastime. The fuel strip/float also varies the pump power to ensure the tank empties properly. Without that, the pump can run dry with 7 litres trapped on the tank RHS.

That 430 was in the alps in October, slow riding with an even slower friend, lol only put 33 litres in too.
Usually I expect 330ish miles,
This is mostly why I can't rely on the trip meter to regulate when to fill up, I had a strip fitted by my dealer just over 2 years ago, then with the 2 year warranty I had 3 more fitted for free, the warranty has run out now and when this one packs up I will pay for another one to be fitted if I still have the bike, at least when I am touring I can always know exactly how much fuel I have, 9,000 miles since the end of July and its till working though. Fingers crossed.
Btw, I have had 7 fuel strips fitted in 9 years and only paid for one of them,

Ive never managed 430 from a tank but once crawled it out to 380 miles. The worst was 270 which makes guessing miles remaining via the odo trip a risky pastime.

I've had random mileage as well. And it's all made worse because my mind works in kilometers...
I've been sans fuel strip for 3 years now, and travelled in Europe a few times without any issues apart from stopping for petrol more often that what I would like to (given that I'm riding a fuel tank on wheels being a GSA).

My bike has some work done on the engine, so it is not exactly economical to ride in some conditions, but I'm keeping the 10 miles a litre rule and so far so good.
Given the front section of the bike and what mentioned above, fuel consumption on the motorways is ridiculous (around or > 90/100mph). That's where I didn't test my calculations to the limit yet. :lol:

I have one of Hank's blotter converters... still trying to find a damn float.

Thanks for your replies - miss Daisy indeed - cheeky sod!

I agree relying on the odo isn’t uber safe but I haven’t run out yet - usually I’m out with others who are lucky to get 200 miles per tank so when they stop for fuel I do as well. It’s only when I’m out on my own I push it to 300 or so miles.

Good idea about buying a loom but I need to plug into the loom so I’d be taking a bit of a punt that there would be a suitable plug on it somewhere.

Has anyone else fitted the resistor mod? If so how did you connect into the canbus? And have you had any problem with the fuel not getting pumped out of the right hand side of the tank?

Cheers, Colin

I got around it with a separate stick/float sender and digital instrument to show me the fuel level. It reads 100 for the first 100 miles and will run dry with 19 showing or maybe it will drop to zero just as the engine stops. But it does do the job. I fill up with 30 showing and it will be well into any reserve range.

I carry a dual purpose spare fuel can. (1) It gets me out of a fix when I push my luck. (2) It annoys the feck out of odometer setting purists.

Some time ago I mentioned that I was building a float convertor for the GS(A)'s, it's ready now!
Today I made a started with my website but it's still under construction although it will be ready in the next two weeks.

So, with ordering it, manuals etc. Then the site also be available in the English language. You now can take a look at my website at www.proebeemer.nl .
Klik on "Produkten" then you'll see the Float Control. In the past weekt Float Control is heavy tested on several bikes.
After the website is finnished I'll start with some embedded software for placing a float in the tank of a R1200RT just like the Polish PDF. Because you can't click a original float on the pumpunit in thCe tank of a R1200RT. For that purpose I use a (car) float of the brand "Bugiad". German brand and also same quality as VDO float's.

With my Float Control for GS(A) you should use floater type number for the GSA: 16148554065 and for the GS: 16148554064

Bert Proeme
Netherlands

If you have an adjustable float resistance range you could use just about any float sensor. Mine is one of these with 4 to 180 Ohm range. It's fully immersed and so far no problems with fuel causing damage.

gas_gauge1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom