Engine cuts out at speed and dies on partial throttle

stevebrooker58

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys ,
I have recently shipped my 2003 1150 GS from the UAE to Spain during the transit in the container it fell on its right hand side , causing minor cosmetic damage to body work and fittings , there was oil dripping from exhaust balance pipe and the lithium ion battery was goosed. The brake fluid had also leaked from ABS unit over the electrics .

I have just had it returned from the workshop following repair , took it out for a ride this morning and had several issues .

Whilst accelerating onto dual carriage way the engine cut out momentarily absolutely nothing then fired up again , this occurred again whilst accelerating up hill as well , it also cut out several times on partial or no throttle openings . I also noticed that the RID display was fluctuating showing one bar then three .

Could this be fuel related after laying on its side for three weeks .

Any wisdom or suggestions would be most welcome .Thanks .

Steve

Don’t know the problem but, I air freighted my 1150gsa from Saudi. Arrived at MAN airport two days after me. Picked up via cargo terminal into a white transit van and home.
In the same condition as when left at the shipper for packing and with fresh oil, started straight away.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Have you had a chance to look at the main electrics plug that you disconnect to take off the tank? Just wondering if brake fluid got to it the connections may be a mess and now misbehaving?

Just a first thought

It sounds like it - but it could just as easily be electrical as some of the wiring could be corrupt or have some sort of damage to a sensor or injector system. It could even be the traction control telling the engine it has a problem and killing the power? I'd get the bike to a BMW dealer and get them to plug it in and see what they make of it, I'd also be sending the invoice to the firm who shipped your bike horizontally for several thousand miles!

James

On the RID display is it the fuel or temp that fluctuating?
Might be worth checking the wiring loom thoughly. I would start with the instrument loom from under the clocks to the bank of connectors just under the top of the tank. There is an earth junction inside this part of the loom that does corrode. You need to slice the loom open to access this Earth point.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies , inspected the plug and found it oily and the pins had corroded , cleaned this and covered in silicone grease seemed to do the trick.

On another note the insurers coughed up without quibbling , so all parts replaced .

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom