Steamed specs

For specs wearers, Pinlock offers limited overall efficacy in terms of preventing or minimising fogging, as even though the helmet's visor may not fog-up much, the glasses still will.

My solution (been wearing glasses since before I started riding bikes) has always been Bob Heath Anti Fog, on my visor and my glasses.

Visor:
Remove from helmet and clean thoroughly with warm water and a tiny drop of washing up liquid. I use a Tesco microfibre cloth. Don't use a brillo.
Rinse thoroughly - first with warm, then cold water. Cold seems to rinse away the washing up liquid better.
DO NOT touch the inside of the visor!
Dry thoroughly with fresh kitchen roll.
Spray anti-fog on inside of visor.
Buff well with fresh kitchen roll.
DO NOT touch the inside of the visor!

Glasses:
I use wet wipes on my (cheap) lenses.
Dry thoroughly with fresh kitchen roll.
Spray anti-fog on both front & back of one lens.
Buff well with fresh kitchen roll.
Repeat for the other lens.

This easily lasts me over one hour of riding in the rain before fogging up.

Just kidding - I'd get a few days of reduced fogging of my visor, glasses less because they get touched more. I'd repeat this with my specs every 2nd or 3rd ride.

Don't touch the inside of your visor.
Modify your exhale - breathe downward (out the bottom of the helmet), rather than straight onto your closed visor.
Get a helmet that allows an open gap of a couple of mm (I think AGV's K3SV and/or K5 have a nifty little button that allows this?) - fuck all rain will get past, but fogging should be dramatically reduced.

Last edited:
Every morning in autumn/winter my specs fog up as I ride off, opening the chin vent on my system 6 lid clears my specs in seconds. A bit 'fresh' but better than being fogged out.

Get used to it or wear lenses. Sorry. :nenau:

Dont wear your glasses. Just guess where you are going. Seems to work for most car drivers in the morning where I ride.

Another :thumb2 for contact lenses. Also Multifocal contacts are the dog's danglies if you need reading glasses.

My tinted sun shade in my Neotec also steams up for the first few miles until I get enough heat in the helmet to stop it happening (I think that's the reason!), same will happen with glasses.

Fogging happens when cold and heat are on either side of a lens/glass/shield. The warm side is the one that condensates. So sticking you helmet and glasses on a warm radiator should offset the condensation if you have a pinlock insert.
Also, I've found that different lenses work with different solutions.
I had a pair of glasses that worked great with Bob Heath anti fog. I then changed to a new prescription and changed glasses. The Bob Heath was useless, but Fogtech worked a treat.
It's a matter of finding what works with what you have.
Good luck.

Fogging happens when cold and heat are on either side of a lens/glass/shield. The warm side is the one that condensates. So sticking you helmet and glasses on a warm radiator should offset the condensation if you have a pinlock insert.
Also, I've found that different lenses work with different solutions.
I had a pair of glasses that worked great with Bob Heath anti fog. I then changed to a new prescription and changed glasses. The Bob Heath was useless, but Fogtech worked a treat.
It's a matter of finding what works with what you have.
Good luck.

It's more accurate to say - that the high humidity breath in the helmet, condenses out on the cold surfaces.

Al

Back
Top Bottom