Drive modes

stevie Allen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have any of you had a problem recently with your driving modes?

The whole time I have had the bike, If im on the road and I want to change up or down modes from say rain to road, I just dropped a gear flicked the mode button pulled the clutch in and it changed modes from one to the other.
Now ive just had it serviced and dosnt do it. It stays in the mode that you have until you physically pull over. Then it will confirm that it has changed modes. and you pull away again.
I thought that was one of the reasons the new bikes had the mode switch that you didn't have to pull over.

I understand it having to be stationary with the suspension settings , but not the modes.
Yes i did ask the question at the dealers and got the
Why not just pull over !
Could it be a software update ?

+1 don't need to stop on 17 gs. I found you can select the mode then close the throttle fully and the mode will change.

That doesn’t sound right, Steve. Unfortunately, my no refund policy now applies!:D

Have any of you had a problem recently with your driving modes?

The whole time I have had the bike, If im on the road and I want to change up or down modes from say rain to road, I just dropped a gear flicked the mode button pulled the clutch in and it changed modes from one to the other.
Now ive just had it serviced and dosnt do it. It stays in the mode that you have until you physically pull over. Then it will confirm that it has changed modes. and you pull away again.
I thought that was one of the reasons the new bikes had the mode switch that you didn't have to pull over.

I understand it having to be stationary with the suspension settings , but not the modes.
Yes i did ask the question at the dealers and got the
Why not just pull over !
Could it be a software update ?

I've always been able to operate mine on the fly and that's both a 14my GSA an a 16my GS

I'd be having another word with your servicing dealer if I were you Steve :thumb2

Thanks guys
Anytime I ask my dealers anything . Its funny how in the same breath they have to add , (that's not covered by the extended warranty).

i change mine “ on the fly “ don’t think it involves the clutch though, just the throttle and the toggle button.

I don't need to use the clutch just shut the throttle for a couple of seconds.

I don't need to use the clutch just shut the throttle for a couple of seconds.

There's clearly something wrong with your bike then. Quick copy and paste from the Rider's Manual:-

>The newly selected riding
mode is activated as you
ride only when the following
preconditions are satisfied:
-Throttle twistgrip in idle position
-Clutch pulled

I don't need to pull the clutch either, just need to release the throttle.

Edit : My 2018 Rallye manual states the following :

The newly selected riding
mode is activated as you
ride only when the following
preconditions are satisfied:
Throttle twistgrip is in idle position.
Brake is not applied.
The riding mode selected is
retained, with the engine-characteristic
and Dynamic ESA
adaptation settings, even after
the ignition has been switched

I've just had a browse through the handbooks for the various revisions of the GS. It looks like the need to pull the clutch to cause the requested mode change was dropped with the Dec 2016 models. Which should mean my current bike shouldn't need the clutch pulled! Pulling the clutch was definitely needed on my previous LC GS, as stated in its handbook, and I've just carried on doing it.

Back
Top Bottom