Gentle off road in the Spanish pyrenees / picos?

Hubcap

Reaction score
Looking for advice.
I'm planning a trip this summer with my 19 year old son to the Pyrenees and Picos. We are familiar with the territory but have never attempted off road before. We'll do an off road course beforehand but will still be very inexperienced.
So what we are looking for is a low risk way of experiencing some of the remoteness and the views that are available off-road but without attempting challenging routes.
I also have to bear in mind I'm an immature 30 year old trapped in the body of a 62 year old.
Any guidance would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance...

Why not go on one of the organised off-road holidays? I'm sure there are some that cater for all levels of skill / age / rider experience.

Take a look at the VINCE , or the HISS events in the Pyrenees,
You could probably team up with a few likeminded bods to remove some of the worry about being out in the sticks alone,
Plenty of advice on easier routes as well,
I have done both,it’s a brilliant way to ride the trails without all of the legwork finding suitable routes.

Hi there, seems a good a time as any to introduce my updated web page, featuring the HISS ...

The main difference between the HISS and something like the VINCE - I'm also 'Event Partner with Horizons Unlimited in there HUMM navigation event in Aragon, which is another competitive event where the trails are much more challenging than the Pyrenees - is that you're not stuck with a given team. So as each of you improve at differing rates you can chop and change who you ride with during the week.

Cheers

Simon

go to hiss you will find all the help you need . great trails and great people for you to ride with ....go out on your own or with a few others you wont find better .and the beer in the evening is good to.

go to hiss you will find all the help you need . great trails and great people for you to ride with ....go out on your own or with a few others you wont find better .and the beer in the evening is good to.

Not to mention the Fire Water ... :beerjug:

Regs

Simon

Thanks - very interesting and helpful.

I think there's a lot of sense in going on an organised / guided ride off road. Logically, the organiser should know where the best simpler (maybe 'safer') routes and trails are and will be able to help you if you struggle. They'll then be able to up the pace or level of ride as you develop your skills and confidence. Think of it like a track day, where there are near enough always three groups: novive, intermediate and advanced or 'fast' group. Each group rides the same track, it doesn't change but each within their own limits. They all have a good time.

The HISS events would be a great intro to Spanish Trails very easy going no pressure to do any more than your comfortable with highly recommended and Simon and his wife are fantastic hosts. IF organized stuff ain't your thing there is plenty of info out there or just wing it as you go perhaps staying to the flatter lands to find your feet and always be prepared to turn around.

The HISS events would be a great intro to Spanish Trails very easy going no pressure to do any more than your comfortable with highly recommended and Simon and his wife are fantastic hosts. IF organized stuff ain't your thing there is plenty of info out there or just wing it as you go perhaps staying to the flatter lands to find your feet and always be prepared to turn around.

Hi Paul, thanks for the heads up about the HISS. You're advice regarding twin round is sound - as long as it's possible! I lost count of how many times this happened while scouting the HISS routes and sometimes came really unstuck - I think the worst scenarios is when the trail fizzles out going downhill at an ever increasing incline - as happened here ...

p6020122.jpg

... where a promising trail came to nought about half way down into the ravine. One thing you get from a HISS is that these things don't happen! :)

Regs

Simon

PS the knack is to lie the bike down, spin it round - boxer twins come in handy here - and pick it up again facing back uphill.

PPS the Aragon HISS has got much bigger since you came to the first one. We now have a territory about three times the size and over 1,400 kms of mapped trails, including about 700 kms of very 'technical' ones ... time you came back! :)

pyrenees routes

Hi chaps i'm in the middle of planning for a trip in my 90 for the end of sept, I have lots of routes and waypoints thanks to the mdmot guides. and i'm planning out a route on google earth.
http://www.mdmot.com/index.php?page...com_virtuemart&Itemid=121&vmcchk=1&Itemid=121

however they only seem to cover the mid and east pyrenees to the med, if anyone wants the data pm me and I'll pop it on a dropbox.

cheers
Gren

Hi chaps i'm in the middle of planning for a trip in my 90 for the end of sept, I have lots of routes and waypoints thanks to the mdmot guides. and i'm planning out a route on google earth.
http://www.mdmot.com/index.php?page...com_virtuemart&Itemid=121&vmcchk=1&Itemid=121

however they only seem to cover the mid and east pyrenees to the med, if anyone wants the data pm me and I'll pop it on a dropbox.

cheers
Gren

PM sent Gren. You won't find many trails in the western end of the Pyrenees as almost all of them are closed to traffic.

Meanwhile if you want any hints and tips for your trip just ask away.

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom