Lest we Forget

That is debatable, war is just part of the inevitable power politics.

How far back does one go in ‘remembering’? My children’s generation is already losing touch with this stuff and it is becoming nothing more than history to them. It should be taught as part of history in the hope that we can learn from the past (I wish) but there comes a time when we need to move on and we inevitably do.

I don't know if you are as unpleasant and unattractive a man as your posts suggest; I'm sure there must be somewhere else that would value your contributions more than we do.

Remembrance Sunday is not just about the first war, nor the second.
Its about all those that died in all conflicts including those that died this year.
How is that 'in the past' ?
If there are folk that lost someone at Ypres - then its relevant to them.
If there are folk that lost someone at Normandy - then its relevant to them.
If there are folk that lost someone at Goose Green - then its relevant to them.
If there are folk that lost someone at Mosul - then its relevant to them.

If you're not interested, then fine, but I strongly suggest you simply keep your mouth shut.
This is a topic that generates strong feeling and long memories.

In Lewes, there was a remembrance event in true Lewes style.

235 men and one woman walked to the war memorial with a burning torch to represent someone who had died in WWI from the town and who was named on the war memorial. Each person walked from the house the person lived in and when all 236 were at the memorial, their name, date and cause of death and age at death were read out, at which point the person representing them doused their flame and disappeared behind a cordon of women wearing black, who represented the people left behind. It was an incredible and powerful tribute to those who lost their lives in an utterly pointless and brutal war.

Here's what it looked like:

23621655_1626563884073552_5488744177478145696_n.jpg

23509278_1626563804073560_4437480421390144786_o.jpg

23511364_1627362283993712_5067719433864577977_o.jpg

23511021_1627363030660304_6393791327519487114_o.jpg

23511307_1627363747326899_5261454954924062013_o.jpg

Remembrance Sunday is not just about the first war, nor the second.
Its about all those that died in all conflicts including those that died this year.
How is that 'in the past' ?
If there are folk that lost someone at Ypres - then its relevant to them.
If there are folk that lost someone at Normandy - then its relevant to them.
If there are folk that lost someone at Goose Green - then its relevant to them.
If there are folk that lost someone at Mosul - then its relevant to them.

If you're not interested, then fine, but I strongly suggest you simply keep your mouth shut.
This is a topic that generates strong feeling and long memories.

Fine but it should not be a government supported national thing - time to let that side of it go and leave it to personal remembrance.

In Lewes, there was a remembrance event in true Lewes style.

235 men and one woman walked to the war memorial with a burning torch to represent someone who had died in WWI from the town and who was named on the war memorial. Each person walked from the house the person lived in and when all 236 were at the memorial, their name, date and cause of death and age at death were read out, at which point the person representing them doused their flame and disappeared behind a cordon of women wearing black, who represented the people left behind. It was an incredible and powerful tribute to those who lost their lives in an utterly pointless and brutal war.

Here's what it looked like:
23621655_1626563884073552_5488744177478145696_n.jpg

23509278_1626563804073560_4437480421390144786_o.jpg

23511021_1627363030660304_6393791327519487114_o.jpg

Wow !

Now

Only on UKGSer could individuals denigrate something so emotive and personal to others in such a way that the whole thread becomes disrespectful to the concept of remembrance.

No matter what your view or opinion on this, there was no need for this thread to go the way it has and those who have contributed argumentatively, negatively or otherwise should be ashamed.

The OP should close this thread

Fine but it should not be a government supported national thing - time to let that side of it go and leave it to personal remembrance.

It must definitely be a government thing, as they're the ones that decide if the armed forces put themselves in danger.

Let them remember, so they think twice about whether it is right for people to give the ultimate sacrifice for them, their monarch and their country.

It must definitely be a government thing, as they're the ones that decide if the armed forces put themselves in danger.

Let them remember, so they think twice about whether it is right for people to give the ultimate sacrifice for them, their monarch and their country.

But they never do learn, do they?

Wow !

No matter what your view or opinion on this, there was no need for this thread to go the way it has and those who have contributed argumentatively, negatively or otherwise should be ashamed.

Hang on a tad . Just because so mAny people believe in this doesn’t mean other people cant have opposite views , and as soon as you want to silence the opposition you are killing free speech which is exactly whAt you guys who do this remembrance stuff say that’s what these soldiers died for :blast and also this forum would be worthless !!

You are free to express opinion elsewhere.....not on a thread such as this. But we wouldn't expect the huntingdon prick to understand the difference....he's just a gobby ****.

You are free to express opinion elsewhere.....not on a thread such as this. But we wouldn't expect the huntingdon prick to understand the difference....he's just a gobby ****.

Show me the forum rules where it says that .

Also that hateful language is exactly what these poor bastard soldiers fought against . Don’t you see the hypocrisy of your post ?? :blast

Also that hateful language is exactly what these poor bastard soldiers fought against . Don’t you see the hypocrisy of your post ?? :blast

This is a forum . A forum is exactly that to express your views with free speech . Views wether you like them or not it’s a forum . If that upsets you you’re in the wrong place

Hang on a tad . Just because so mAny people believe in this doesn’t mean other people cant have opposite views , and as soon as you want to silence the opposition you are killing free speech which is exactly whAt you guys who do this remembrance stuff say that’s what these soldiers died for :blast and also this forum would be worthless !!

People are welcome to their views

We can argue the merits of war and the accuracy of and lessons lessons from history as it is our right

My point is that to turn this thread into a slagging and trolling fest is unwarranted
I have no argument either way as to peoples feelings ( mine are probably easily worked out) but whichever side of the remembrance fence you sit, respect is due.

If you...or he...need 'rules' to understand where and when to express opinions that run counter to the sentiment of a thread, then you deserve each other you arrogant shit.

Wow !

Now

Only on UKGSer could individuals denigrate something so emotive and personal to others in such a way that the whole thread becomes disrespectful to the concept of remembrance.

Completely agree. Want to discuss Govts sending men to war? start a thread.

But they never do learn, do they?

Irony :rolleyes:

Great post Auwyn, didn't know that had been their 'remembrance' in Lewes (?) Powerful, poignant, fitting.

Back
Top Bottom