Lest we Forget

Hang on a tad . Just because so mAny people believe in this doesn’t mean other people cant have opposite views , and as soon as you want to silence the opposition you are killing free speech which is exactly whAt you guys who do this remembrance stuff say that’s what these soldiers died for :blast and also this forum would be worthless !!

Indeed

I was working at the ATP Tennis as part of the broadcast engineering team, even on Saturday when we were deep into setup everyone of many different nationalities stopped and gave a minutes silence at 11AM. It was eerie and humbling. We also did it Sunday as well.

I think if you cant stop for a minute and pay some respect for those who have fallen both in the past and present then its a pretty poor show. I also think those that hijack remembrance for political gain should have a word with themselves.

IMHO......

I admire the lack of moderation in the pub. Free speech etc.

However in a specific part of the forum a mod should have stepped in by now.

Respect the forum and it’s members by keeping disrespect in the pub.

Fuck off jetjock
What were you saying about respect ?

If you’re not into forums that allow free speech , go and find one that only allows a one sided argument and keep your head buried in the sand if that’s what you want .

The witch hunt that prevails after Engineer posts something controversial is amazingly supported and yet it’s exactly what the nazis allegedly did in WW2 , shutting down free speech and persecuting those that dare speak against them .
That’s how the nazi party was started , we are told .
Talking of being ashamed , you guys that use foul and abusive language because someone has different views should be ashamed of yourselves .

If you’re not into forums that allow free speech , go and find one that only allows a one sided argument and keep your head buried in the sand if that’s what you want .

The witch hunt that prevails after Engineer posts something controversial is amazingly supported and yet it’s exactly what the nazis allegedly did in WW2 , shutting down free speech and persecuting those that dare speak against them .
Talking of being ashamed , you guys that use foul and abusive language because someone has different views should be ashamed of yourselves .

jetcock you absolute cock.

This is a bike forum. The OP posted in a regional section about his ride to pay his respects.

You have now further polluted this thread with reference to Nazis!

Where is your respect for other forum members!

jetcock you absolute cock.

This is a bike forum. The OP posted in a regional section about his ride to pay his respects.

You have now further polluted this thread with reference to Nazis!

Where is your respect for other forum members!
It’s a forum FFS :blast

We ought to have a kunts section....there are 2 founder members it would seem. They could wreck each others threads with abandon.

Godwins law in action.

Godwins law in action.

Yeap which just shows that the Nazis were exhibiting the same human traits as the rest of us can show from time to time . But the Nazis had so much propaganda against them that we associate just them with the trait but not ourselves .

Cognitive dissonance

Yeap which just shows that the Nazis were exhibiting the same human traits as the rest of us can show from time to time . But the Nazis had so much propaganda against them that we associate just them with the trait but not ourselves .

Cognitive dissonance

There is little point in arguing with anti-free speech brigade, I am going to start new threads to show how wrong they are :)

The pair of you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

You have demonstrated nothing but toxic and corrosive sentiment, added nothing, and now hide behind 'free speech' to attempt to dignify your appalling behaviour in a thread about one mans personal gesture showing respect for the sacrifice of others.

Neither of you have earned, nor deserve, any such respect from decent members of this forum, which would be improved by your departure.

The pair of you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

You have demonstrated nothing but toxic and corrosive sentiment, added nothing, and now hide behind 'free speech' to attempt to dignify your appalling behaviour in a thread about one mans personal gesture showing respect for the sacrifice of others.

Neither of you have earned, nor deserve, any such respect from decent members of this forum, which would be improved by your departure.
Another witch hunt ?
We are no where near your abusive and disrespectful post or Martels post ref Simon Jenkins which certainly , as ever , changed the whole atmosphere of the thread .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rescuing this thread.

In Lewes, there was a remembrance event in true Lewes style.

235 men and one woman walked to the war memorial with a burning torch to represent someone who had died in WWI from the town and who was named on the war memorial. Each person walked from the house the person lived in and when all 236 were at the memorial, their name, date and cause of death and age at death were read out, at which point the person representing them doused their flame and disappeared behind a cordon of women wearing black, who represented the people left behind. It was an incredible and powerful tribute to those who lost their lives in an utterly pointless and brutal war.

Here's what it looked like:

23621655_1626563884073552_5488744177478145696_n.jpg

23509278_1626563804073560_4437480421390144786_o.jpg

23511364_1627362283993712_5067719433864577977_o.jpg

23511021_1627363030660304_6393791327519487114_o.jpg

23511307_1627363747326899_5261454954924062013_o.jpg

Great post Auwyn, didn't know that had been their 'remembrance' in Lewes (?) Powerful, poignant, fitting.

We like our fire and stuff round these ways. It appears to have been the brainchild of the photography business (which is apparently the oldest known family photography business in the world) who took the photos I linked above...it has been at least two years in the making and brought in people from all six bonfire societies and people from all over town. It wasnt really advertised, so the turnout of people who came to watch is even more remarkable and I have to say the whole event was mindblowingly thought provoking. I was in tears on two occasions, just by how profound it was...mainly at the symbolism of when the men stepped forward in their ranks as the one before had departed and doused their torches - it just seemed so symbolic of the poor men going over the top.

The map below shows the homes of the men and woman who died in the war whose name is on the war memorial and for me really hits home the impact their deaths would have had on the population of the town.

map3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom