bmw r100rt fairing repairs

Deleted account 220427001

Reaction score
Im repairing one of my 100rt bikes top stay bracket attaches to fairing inside top left , but my bike has damage with the the thread area been dropped on the left side by the last rider who had it ,would like to know what sort of material is the fairing made from ? what sort of plastic welding rods can use etc any info would help .aka sheene

From what I recall they are notoriously difficult ( i.e. not fibre glass etc ) to repair. You could araldite an already metal threaded hole in situ ( think they are 6mm ) or even try metal putty etc but probably better to acquire a replacement panel and have it painted up ( colour code is on top of rear mudguard ).

Just my 2d worth :thumb2

I have several big bits of RT fairing removed from my ST that you are welcome to, free and gratis. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers, Jon

If its ABS all you need is a soldering iron + some cable ties as filler material.
Stitching with bits of copper wire melted into the plastic makes it super strong.
Plastex is also very good but I dont bother using it now, just the soldering iron.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k7GRNvPSf7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With the number of old RTs and RSes being torn to bits to make hipstermobiles I would have thought that getting spare fairing panels would be very easy - and worthwhile even if you don't need them right now...

Back
Top Bottom