Insurance to drive nephews car, while he’s away for a month.

shedracer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can someone help with my query please.

My nephew is planning to go on a travelling holiday for a month and leaves next week. While chatting to him today on the phone, he asked me if I’d like to look after his car, but also I could drive it, if I so wish. He has suggested that I’d get my own insurance cover to drive it, rather than put me as a named driver, on his policy.

It’s a Porsche Cayman, very nice and I’m happy to look after it for him, but I’m not sure what type of insurance cover is needed, or whether you can have his insurance running while another is for me to drive. Question is, he leaves it at my place, on the drive, with his own insurance covering it against theft. I then take out insurance to drive it on the days I need, which would probably only be 3 or 4 occasions, in the month he is away.

Firstly, can you have his insurance covering the car, while parked up and secoundly, can I get insurance for individual days that I require to drive it? Or is this not acceptable or possible?

I need to know pretty quickly, as he hopes to leave Thursday and will need an answer from me by tomorrow evening.
Cheers

Normally there should only be 1 policy per vehicle. If you have your own vehicle it MAY cover you to drive other vehicles not owned by you but that might only cover you 3rd party (your policy will tell you if this is the case under 'classes of vehicle' or similar words). As you're doing him a favour in looking after the car I'd be advising he puts you on as a named driver and pays the extra or if you're the generous type you could go 50/50.

He needs to check the T&Cs of his policy - leaving it at your place for a month might cause a problem as he is probably varying the agreed terms. This might lead to a refusal to pay out if the car goes missing from your place. Not your problem but you might want to point this out to him.

From your POV, if you want to drive it on an odd day then look at https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/short-term/ which answers most questions.

Insurers will only allow one policy per vehicle as a norm, if you drive on your insurance you will be third party only (and liable pay for any damage if you dink it) , similarly is the owner willing to risk his own insurance no claims if he sticks you on as a named driver and a claim is made

Also as mentioned you keeping the vehicle at anywhere other than the address declared on his policy may result in insurers not paying out if it nicked off your drive.

My view on offers like this is that the worst will always happens ie the drunken uninsured knobber will run into the car when you are driving with 3rd party cover or you will pirouette it on black ice and take out a mini bus full of nuns and orphans .

Thank him for the offer but politely decline

Thanks for all the advice, I think I’m going to politely decline, although it would be nice, I don’t want any risk for him or myself. Advice most gratefully appreciated.

I did this for my sisters car when she went away for just over 3 weeks, I used her car to take them to and pick up from airport. She put me onto her insurance for a month, cost £30 admin fee.

It could well be worth your nephew asking his insurers how much it will cost him to add you to his policy

A mate of mine had an Audi RS3 and he added me to his policy so I could drive him to and from Heathrow. I am 3 years older than him and have a better driving record. His insurance went down by £20. He now has an Audi S4 but has kept me on his policy for insurance reasons :D

If you have "driving other cars" on your own policy, you can legally drive it third party, but with a high value car I'd be reluctant to risk it.
I often drive my sister's car on my driving other cars extension, but it's only worth about £2k on a good day, so if I write it off, that's a limited risk. If she had a Porsche Cayman I'd be more reluctant to take the chance.

Back
Top Bottom