Aftermarket exhaust

Tim1200

Reaction score
I'm looking for a aftermarket exhaust but not wanting to spend 500 on a akrapovic I was looking at a carbon Gpr or a carbon scorpion but I have read that some have melted the indicators or melted the number plate is this the case ? any feed back welcome cheers 😉 ps its for a 2017 triple black hense the black or carbon exhaust

I have the Scorpion from Metal Mule, which has a shorter link pipe than the Scorpion supplied one.

I haven’t used the bike yet with the can fitted, so I don’t know if it will melt anything. However the Metal Mule version of the Scorpion looks the same as the AC Schnitzer one which in terms of size and position on the bike which my mate has, he hasn’t had any trouble with it melting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mate has a Scorpion on his LC......it's not causing any problems and sounds lovely.
Only draw back is that there is nothing to cover the link/flap motor......it looks very bare. He bought and modified the Akra carbon cover.

Sent from a U11

My mate has a Scorpion on his LC......it's not causing any problems and sounds lovely.
Only draw back is that there is nothing to cover the link/flap motor......it looks very bare. He bought and modified the Akra carbon cover.

Sent from a U11

This is an issue I have. I was bidding on a Akro carbon cover to modify, but got outbid, so I decided to make my own from thin wall aluminium tube, which is ok looks good, however being aluminium it conducts the heat too well and ends up being just as hot as the exhaust. But it does cover the ugly bits.

c2df49f281ce329ac836d9ce739c8932.jpg

fe9ba20dca739f20c6c0a0fecc6d2a76.jpg

ea0170337dc9f5810d7ea05da6e5fa90.jpg

However I have since found a cheap original BMW heat shield (they cost a fortune) to modify as I want to extend the shield towards the rear more and the I’ve run out of thin wall aluminium tube.

This is an issue I have. I was bidding on a Akro carbon cover to modify, but got outbid, so I decided to make my own from thin wall aluminium tube

I was lucky (well my mate was) a chap on here sold me one.

Sent from a U11

I have the GPR
Without the baffle in it WILL melt the indicator and pannier
Luckily BMW replaced them under warranty as it’s something they’ve seen on the continent even with the OE exhaust in higher temps so it was sorted.
Motolegends however were a pain to deal with over the baffle supplied being the wrong one and completely different to that pictured.
Still waiting on the correct one 3 months on.

Mmm never thought about the cover can u not use the original?

No, as the Scorpion has the attachment springs in the way and two of the original mounts for the shield are on the original can.

Yes I think it was ur post that put me off them lol I would rather spend more now than end up having to buy indicators etc

Try some fibre washers on each bolt either side of the plate to isolate it from the heat transfer

Try some fibre washers on each bolt either side of the plate to isolate it from the heat transfer

That’s what I thought. I’ll see what I can do with the BMW shield I have coming.

I have had the metal mule scorpion on my LC for the last 78,000 miles, never melted anything. I welded a small bracket to the link pipe and refitted the original guard as it WILL melt your boots if you catch it.
I have got the baffle in but had the end plate removed on the baffle to help it breath better, done by geff at hilltop

I have had the metal mule scorpion on my LC for the last 78,000 miles, never melted anything. I welded a small bracket to the link pipe and refitted the original guard as it WILL melt your boots if you catch it.
I have got the baffle in but had the end plate removed on the baffle to help it breath better, done by geff at hilltop

I’ve bought a second hand cover and remounted it, I had to cut the cover to clear the spring. I’ve used some rivet nuts on the clamp to make a mounting point. I will get a new bracket welded, is the link pipe stainless steel or mild steel?

I'm looking for a aftermarket exhaust but not wanting to spend 500 on a akrapovic I was looking at a carbon Gpr or a carbon scorpion but I have read that some have melted the indicators or melted the number plate is this the case ? any feed back welcome cheers �� ps its for a 2017 triple black hense the black or carbon exhaust

Just take your OEM exhaust off (and the metal link plate, metal holder and disc washer), unbolt the plastic bits and send it to a local powder coating company and get it painted. It's very easy.

Cost me £20.00 for the powder coating (yes Twenty Pounds)... :D

Or if you don't want to use your own exhaust, I bought a BRAND NEW one off eBay for £50 including delivery (on a Make an Offer bid). Cheap as chips.

Took 24 hours and refitted it back on the bike next day, as I was able to drop it off and collect it myself. You can have the choice of Matt Black, Satin Black or Gloss Black. I went for Satin Black exhaust and Matt Black everything else.

If you buy a second exhaust muffler off eBay it just means your bike is never without an exhaust while you paint the other one.

Attachments

• GSA0.jpg
    GSA0.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 715
Anyone used a Remus 8 with a set of headers??? Like the look of them and have been looking for feedback from someone that has had one but haven't come across anyone yet.

I took my Akra off the other week (which the dealer fitted when I bought the bike new) in preparation to restore the bike back to standard for the trade in for a 2018 bike. The original can was put into a box and handed to me by the dealer when I collected the bike. When I took it out of the box, which was the first time I’d ever clapped eyes on it in nearly 4 years, it was obvious it wasn’t a new can! It had clearly done mileage, and the black plastic end cap was cracked too, so was obviously not the one they took off my brand new bike.

I’m not going to accuse my dealer of doing anything underhanded, as it was probably just a mistake having got mixed up with another one taken off someone else’s bike with mileage on it. At the time, I recall that lots of customers were having the Akras fitted. In my case, as I’d only just noticed, it was a bit late for me complain to the dealer, so it’s worth just checking what’s in the box if anyone is having a dealer fitted option.

I took my Akra off the other week (which the dealer fitted when I bought the bike new) in preparation to restore the bike back to standard for the trade in for a 2018 bike. The original can was put into a box and handed to me by the dealer when I collected the bike. When I took it out of the box, which was the first time I’d ever clapped eyes on it in nearly 4 years, it was obvious it wasn’t a new can! It had clearly done mileage, and the black plastic end cap was cracked too, so was obviously not the one they took off my brand new bike.

I’m not going to accuse my dealer of doing anything underhanded, as it was probably just a mistake having got mixed up with another one taken off someone else’s bike with mileage on it. At the time, I recall that lots of customers were having the Akras fitted. In my case, as I’d only just noticed, it was a bit late for me complain to the dealer, so it’s worth just checking what’s in the box if anyone is having a dealer fitted option.

Interesting point, as I never check what’s in the box. I always just give the dealer the box back when I trade the bike in, so haven’t had an issue, yet.

Back
Top Bottom