removing stuck oil filter

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I dont want to come across as cocky being new and all....but I had my first fight with my new to me GS today and the method I used might help another newbie..I had a stuck oil filter which I could not loosen at all..... i thought I would post up the method I used to solve the problem (stolen from a youtube video).

Basically i took an oil filter removal tool, drilled holes round the outer perimeter and then attached the tool to the oil filter using self tapping screws, taking care not to hit the engine casing of course. I then had to use a breaker bar!!!! to dislodge the stuck filter but the self tappers (8 of them) had enough strength to drag around the filter and get it loose...

i cannot for the life of me understand why people stick on oil filters as if they are going to be hanging from them....all you need is to make an oil tight seal!!

R.

A sheet of sandpaper in the removal tool sorts it :beerjug:

Somewhere I have a chain wrench tool that contracts around the filter canister - ideal on the rare occasions that the normal filter tool fails.

Somewhere I have a chain wrench tool that contracts around the filter canister - ideal on the rare occasions that the normal filter tool fails.

These things are great on most bikes but don't work on an R11**GS, on which the filter is recessed under the engine. You cannot get the chain round them.

I always buy the filter that has the 17mm nut welded onto the end of the filter casing. Hi-Flo and K&N are my preferred brands.
Then all you need is a 17mm spanner or socket.
Fish out the old rubber ring when removing the old filter, 'cos the ring is prolly stuck up inside the alloy casing, run an oily finger round the new ring, spin the new ring & filter on to just snug, meeting resistance, then a quarter turn of the spanner, absolutely no tighter.
Kushtie..
Al in s.e. Spain

I always buy the filter that has the 17mm nut welded onto the end of the filter casing. Hi-Flo and K&N are my preferred brands.
Then all you need is a 17mm spanner or socket.
Fish out the old rubber ring when removing the old filter, 'cos the ring is prolly stuck up inside the alloy casing, run an oily finger round the new ring, spin the new ring & filter on to just snug, meeting resistance, then a quarter turn of the spanner, absolutely no tighter.
Kushtie..
Al in s.e. Spain

I remember thinking that wasn't a bad idea, till I realised that with the K&N they removed the normal ridges so it's perfectly round... and the nut has a habit of snapping off as it's made of cheese. Worst design ever. :blast

I remember thinking that wasn't a bad idea, till I realised that with the K&N they removed the normal ridges so it's perfectly round... and the nut has a habit of snapping off as it's made of cheese. Worst design ever. :blast
Been there done that on a GSA12. Never again. Now I stick with OEM and a BMW removal tool - a freebie from Southport Superbikes.

sandpaper and rubber glove .. like it :)

if I have a sticky .. big screwdriver punched straight through and a big tray to catch the spillage ....

as per earlier post... make sure you have the old seal ring. oily finger around the new seal AND I fill the filter before I spin on .

Back
Top Bottom