Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car to Europe

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Car to Europe

Evening.

The wife and I would like to do a comfortable holiday travelling by car to parts of Europe - trouble is we've only ever travelled either by bike before or plane to Western Europe. The only exception to this is an 9 day route through France to the Italian lakes and back via Switzerland - in a 6 berth motorhome, which was tiring and expensive, due to a number of mishaps...!

Making it worse is that I'm shite at planning.

Therefore, looking for suggestions to the east/southeast of Europe for 14 nights or so, by car, taking in historical cities/sights, routes etc. Anyone here done the same and have experiences they'd care to share.

Thanks.

Unbelievable! Are you still wearing short trousers too?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Unbelievable! Are you still wearing short trousers too?
    Helpful.

No sarcasm or irony intended but pop into Waterstones buy a couple of maps and a couple of guide books. Lonely Planet the most well known or DK Eyewitness ( I think that's what the are called) which are quite good because they have lots of Top Ten lists. Eg Top Ten best walks, best restaurants, best historical sites etc etc.

Once you've got a pretty good idea of where you are going pop back in here and ask for some specific ideas of places to visit.

Europe is a big place and you'll get too many suggestions if you don't narrow it down . The guys in here will have been to every corner of it between them.
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Not done it by car but I'd been looking at a drive down through the Jura/Vosges then into the Alps. Do a route via some of the passes midweek then find a nice spot for a 3 day weekend stopover, perhaps Vienna or Saltzburg. Back North through Slovenia and the East of Germany, stop off at Berlin as we've never been and then back across via the Eifel region. Not made it happen yet but we'll do it at some point. Using booking has always been really effective. Always had great places to stay including multi night stays in apartments.

Blast down to Geneva or fly and hire a car from there...

See the city, trip on the lake, drive down to Montreux take a selfie in front of the Freddie statue

Then around the lake to Les Gets for some mountain biking, chairlift up and gravity down.

You’re now at the start of the RDGA so take a few days to drive to the Med, find a nice place to put your feet up for 3-4 nights.

How you get back is your problem
    Sell my bike?
    I would rather stick wasps up my arse !

You haven't told us when. Just in case bods start to recocommend the Alps in February in snow storms, you might like to start with that one basic, though vital, piece of secret squirrel information or 'intel' aka 'gen', as it's known in Mili circles.

Next, up.... of your 14 days away (I guess that's door to door) do you want to drive each day, turn around after seven days and drive back?

Next.... what do you call Eastern Europe? The Ukraine? Or something a bit closer?

Next... you and the good lady, what sort of daily mileage... 100, 200, 300....??? Love motorways or hate them?

Next... what do the pair of you like doing? Please be discrete. Do museums stacked full of cars and bikes fill you with joy or dread? Are castles your thing? Fine dining or the Golden Arches, the George Cinque or Fomula 1? Is World War 2 or even 1 your battle cry or would you rather press wild flowers?

Next... Where haven't you been, so we can avoid telling you to go somewhere again?

In short, give us some clues, pal.

PS Take no notice of Stewart W, masquerading as someone else. He hasn't got a clue, unless it has a picture he can cut and paste.

Simples. Decide when you’d like to leave on the first day and book the train. Arrive at train for correct time. Decide where you want to drive to when you leave the train. As you get there get Mrs Bean to google for a hotel. Keep repeating until you’ve gone far enough. Then turn round and go back either by the same route or a different route to arrive at Calais at the correct time for your train.

Not trying to be facetious but it’s really that easy - and you get to see so many things that you may not known are there....

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    This ^^^
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    You haven't told us when. Just in case bods start to recocommend the Alps in February in snow storms, you might like to start with that one basic, though vital, piece of secret squirrel information or 'intel' aka 'gen', as it's known in Mili circles.

Next, up.... of your 14 days away (I guess that's door to door) do you want to drive each day, turn around after seven days and drive back?

Next.... what do you call Eastern Europe? The Ukraine? Or something a bit closer?

Next... you and the good lady, what sort of daily mileage... 100, 200, 300....??? Love motorways or hate them?

Next... what do the pair of you like doing? Please be discrete. Do museums stacked full of cars and bikes fill you with joy or dread? Are castles your thing? Fine dining or the Golden Arches, the George Cinque or Fomula 1? Is World War 2 or even 1 your battle cry or would you rather press wild flowers?

Next... Where haven't you been, so we can avoid telling you to go somewhere again?

PS Take no notice of Stewart W, masquerading as someone else. He hasn't got a clue, unless it has a picture he can cut and paste.
    Thanks all - except that fcukwit Stuart Watson.

Ok, a bit more background on us:

Done a fair amount of riding and driving/staying in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Portugal etc.

Richard,

14 days (or so) door to door.

Haven't thought too much about how far - but quite happy to travel 500 or so miles to reach a rest point for three days of exploring or so.

As we'll be in the car I'm happy with motorways to cover distance.

Castles and fine dining, but WW1 & WW2 historical sites I'd like to see more of.

Anytime from around May to October.

Topcat,

We've done that several times on the bike - arrange the first night. However, when doing that I've always had a vague Idea of the direction I'm going - ferry to Santander and working our way back etc. This time I'm seeking inspiration.

Wreford,

I was previously married to the daughter of a family from Clarens who owned an apartment block around 0.5mile from Montreux - on Lake Geneva (snow capped mountains across the lake etc) and appreciate how beautiful it can be. We also stayed coming back from the Italian Lakes a couple of years ago in a motorhome - if we only had the money...

So, I'm probably looking to the east and south of Germany, have been to Gdansk and Prague in the past for a few days, but that's it.

Tours R Us Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    If Eastern Europe, and WW2 sites, you could do worse than a tour I ran a few years ago, that incorporated the following:

Berchtesgarten - Eagles Nest
    Dachau
    Aushwitz
    Krakov Salt Mines (not WW2 but amazing nonetheless)
    Stalag Luft III (Great Escape)
    Colditz
    Dambuster Dams

That took us 2 weeks, staying a few nights at Dachau, Auschwitz, Stalag Luft & Colditz.

If you want a Garmin route PM me and I'll ping one over to you. Nothing too twisty, and you can adapt it to your needs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    If Eastern Europe, and WW2 sites, you could do worse than a tour I ran a few years ago, that incorporated the following:

Berchtesgarten - Eagles Nest
    Dachau
    Aushwitz
    Krakov Salt Mines (not WW2 but amazing nonetheless)
    Stalag Luft III (Great Escape)
    Colditz
    Dambuster Dams

That took us 2 weeks, staying a few nights at Dachau, Auschwitz, Stalag Luft & Colditz.

If you want a Garmin route PM me and I'll ping one over to you. Nothing too twisty, and you can adapt it to your needs anyway.
    Thanks Clive.

Nicole and I were with you on your "Twist and Shout" tour in 2012 and really enjoyed it.

I'll drop you a pm for your routes. If you have any 'comfortable' hotel suggestions it would be good to hear.

We did a 14 day bike trip starting after getting off the ferry at Santander and then sailing back from Roscoff.

What are your interests etc? Do you prefer country or coastal routes or what types of place do you like to visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Davel View Post
    We did a 14 day bike trip starting after getting off the ferry at Santander and then sailing back from Roscoff.

What are your interests etc? Do you prefer country or coastal routes or what types of place do you like to visit?
    We've done a fair number of Spanish and French routes in the past - hence asking for suggestions to the east. However, as we'll be going by car we're more interested in things to see, rather than how good the road is getting there.

As said in the opening post - I'm rubbish at planning, hence asking for help...

You are crossing to Calais and want to go east.

I'd suggest:

Calais to Prague to Dresden to Berlin to Calais

Or

Calais to Hamburg to Lubeck to Stralsund (Rugen island) to Berlin (to maybe Dresden) to Caiais

Few people visit the north German Baltic coast from England, I guess because it has few hills and definitely no mountains, therefore it is seen as dull. It's not. Lots of Germans go there for their own holidays and they're not all entirely stupid. I did it as a part of the full lap of Germany that I made last year, really enjoying it. The lap, using mostly small(ish) roads took us twenty days but you could do it in a car in less, not least as you could easily throw in some motorway, for instance between Stralsund, Berlin and Dresden.

Suggestion why Not fly and hire ??

Surely as Cheap as a ferry and you get the steering wheel in the right place for being over there driving with all those foreign jonnies

Also you may save a day or mores driving to your initial point of the tour start giving you more time there or at the place of choice

Might I make a suggestion if you are in N E France and Western Belgium of where I used to /live whilst working in France ...

Warhem, Veurne, Hoonschoote, Poperinge, Diksmuide, and Ypres There are lots of smaller war grave sites in all these places and if you want to go for big sites? The the A16 / E40 corridor has plenty to show

And De Panne was pretty good for food and hotels Check Tripadvisor and stick with high percentage positive reviews

Safe Travels
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast