Update Maps & "Reset" My Zumo 550 or Invest In A Newer Zumo With LM?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mapping on my 550 seems to be a) old and b) not the same as on my mate's 550.

I have a version of MapSource that seems to be not the full version, but haven't yet downloaded any mapping. I don't think I like MS anyway, but I do like these tutorials for BaseCamp and I think I could get to grips with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAoRNivm4BA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75KTv-dxB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaVZiIp3T7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk06mnbRr_A

I like using MotoGoLoCo, but it has limitations (based on google maps, so can't "do" off-road) and seems to not like working with my 550 (at least in its current state).

The mis-match between mine & mate's 550s mean there have been discrepancies when out on rides - same .gpx routes loaded into each 550 actually result in differing routes being displayed. Annoying.

We want to use whatever will achieve the most reliable and predictable results while using GPS on rides (which could involve off-road tracks/trails), and I think BaseCamp + up-to-date maps + newer Zumo is now an option we should consider.

So what's "best"?

OPTION 1:
- Have our 550s professionally overhauled and have up-to-date mapping installed.
- Install BaseCamp on laptops (IIUC I can still use routes created in BaseCamp on the 550?).

OPTION 2:
- Retire the 550s and invest in newer Zumos that will likely come with LM.
- BaseCamp is the software typically used with newer Zumos, yes?
- There are other pluses that I'd also value with a newer Zumo - control of my VIRB cameras, decent mp3 audio (550 is shite), better screen.

Option 2 is where I'm leaning. It'd be more expensive, but I think it'd be worth it.

TIA. :thumb2

EDIT: Reading back over that, it does seem that I've already convinced myself to get a newer Zumo. Still - if anyone can convince me why option 1 would be the better option, I'm all ears.

I'd update for at least 2 reasons - 1. newer device should be faster 2. bigger screen.

There's plenty more reasons I'm sure...inc LM.

D.

Option 1, there is really nothing to overhaul if they are working and you have the latest maps and software installed, and also a good fast class 10 sd card. Yes you can use basecamp to create routes no problem. You can check software and maps using garmin express, download from garmins web site.

Option 2, the 550 is a very good unit and is more than capable of taking you to where you want to go (with the correct mapping) you can purchase LM for the 550. the newer units will not be vastly quicker to calculate than the 550, but will be quicker. the 550 is more robust than some of the newer units, the audio on the 550 is as good as the newer units unless you are using blue tooth then the newer units are better. The new units tend to have bigger and better screens.

I have used and own the 550 and newer units there is not a lot in it, it all depends what you want out of your gps device. Read the threads on here there are a few people who say the very new units are rubbish. and many who swear by them.

Your problem that you have between your routes and your mates route being displayed differently, i would bet diamonds that its nothing to do with the actual unit, but in fact a preference setting or settings or even different maps being used on the units.

With reference to mapsource vs basecamp you will get as many opinions on the subject as you would with the brexit debate, I will say this about them, both will work if using a pc.
And with reference to off road routes you may find that OSM (open street maps) may be better than the standard garmin maps, i am unsure of this though so someone else may confirm.

Before you do anything, you need to get Garmin Express onto your computer and then connect your 550 to it and register the device. Then GE will check for updates on your 550, both the operating system and the maps.

Option 1, there is really nothing to overhaul if they are working and you have the latest maps and software installed, and also a good fast class 10 sd card. Yes you can use basecamp to create routes no problem. You can check software and maps using garmin express, download from garmins web site.

Option 2, the 550 is a very good unit and is more than capable of taking you to where you want to go (with the correct mapping) you can purchase LM for the 550. the newer units will not be vastly quicker to calculate than the 550, but will be quicker. the 550 is more robust than some of the newer units...

Sold. Both myself & matey boy (Crunch on here) have decided to stick with our 550s and install nuMaps Lifetime Europe - €90. Is this complicated? Do we delete the current mapping first?

...the audio on the 550 is as good as the newer units unless you are using blue tooth then the newer units are better.

Confused... Is there another way to connect for audio with the 550? I see no audio input or output ports on my 550?

The new units tend to have bigger and better screens.

I have used and own the 550 and newer units there is not a lot in it, it all depends what you want out of your gps device. Read the threads on here there are a few people who say the very new units are rubbish. and many who swear by them.

Your problem that you have between your routes and your mates route being displayed differently, i would bet diamonds that its nothing to do with the actual unit, but in fact a preference setting or settings or even different maps being used on the units.

Yep. I'd lay that same bet. And I'd also bet that after updating the mapping on both units, all will be well between them

With reference to mapsource vs basecamp you will get as many opinions on the subject as you would with the brexit debate, I will say this about them, both will work if using a pc.
And with reference to off road routes you may find that OSM (open street maps) may be better than the standard garmin maps, i am unsure of this though so someone else may confirm.

After watching youtube vids on both MapSource & BaseCamp, I'm more optimistic that I'd get on better (and get up to speed quicker) with BaseCamp.

Before you do anything, you need to get Garmin Express onto your computer and then connect your 550 to it and register the device. Then GE will check for updates on your 550, both the operating system and the maps.

Already registered my 550 on my Garmin Express account. There are two alerts: a) the software (version 5.0) is up to date, b) there are map updates available (nuMaps Lifetime Europe, as mentioned above - €90). I'll update that mapping asap.

I have a new class 10 SD card ready to go.

But what - if anything - should I first be deleting from the internal memory? I hate unnecessary clutter in my folders & drives:

Internal Folders & Files.jpg

Internal Folders & Files 2.jpg

Thanks all y'all! :thumb2

Q1 Both myself & matey boy (Crunch on here) have decided to stick with our 550s and install nuMaps Lifetime Europe - €90. Is this complicated? Do we delete the current mapping first?
A1 just connect to your pc and let garmin express do the rest.

Q2 Is there another way to connect for audio with the 550? I see no audio input or output ports on my 550?
A2 yes there is, on the side of the motorcycle mount under a rubber cover you will find audio out socket.

Q3 But what - if anything - should I first be deleting from the internal memory? I hate unnecessary clutter in my folders & drives:
A3 see answer 1

What files should I delete on my 550 to make more space for the maps?

GARMIN:Garmin/GUPDATE.GCD is the last firmware update source and can be backed up to your PC and deleted.

GARMIN:Garmin/gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.sum. If these files are on the Zumo and you didn't load some other type of maps, delete them. Do Not send map segments to the Zumo 550 unless you know they don't exist on the GPS. Normally the Maps the MapSource uses are all there.

GARMIN:Garmin/voice/keep english_american_.sum, english_american_.vpm, and one pair of [name].sum and .vpm files.

GARMIN:Garmin/vehicle/keep one or two .srf files

GARMIN:Garmin/text/keep one set of language triples.gtt (British_English.gtt, British_English_Gdnc.gtt, British_English_Trf.gtt)

GARMIN:Garmin/scrn/delete any screen captures or move them to your PC

GARMIN:Garmin/POI/poi.gpi and any other .gpi and .unl files in this folder can be backed up on your PC, deleted and restored after a map update, or rerun POI Loader on the current POI versions after a map update..

GARMIN:Garmin/mp3/delete all mp3s

GARMIN:Garmin/jpg/delete or more to PC all files

GARMIN:Garmin/GPX/Delete CURRENT.GPX after using MapSource to Receive from Device any tracks or routes you want to keep and remember to save the MapSource gdb file.

GARMIN:Garmin/GPX/Delete Temp.GPX as it is a copy of your last Send to Device. Delete any other GPX files here or move them to your PC

GARMIN:Garmin/GPX/Archive/Move to your PC any track archives you want to keep and delete all gpx files

GARMIN:Garmin/Docs/Move any files here to your PC

Sold. Both myself & matey boy (Crunch on here) have decided to stick with our 550s and install nuMaps Lifetime Europe - €90. Is this complicated? Do we delete the current mapping first?

Confused... Is there another way to connect for audio with the 550? I see no audio input or output ports on my 550?

Yep. I'd lay that same bet. And I'd also bet that after updating the mapping on both units, all will be well between them

After watching youtube vids on both MapSource & BaseCamp, I'm more optimistic that I'd get on better (and get up to speed quicker) with BaseCamp.

Already registered my 550 on my Garmin Express account. There are two alerts: a) the software (version 5.0) is up to date, b) there are map updates available (nuMaps Lifetime Europe, as mentioned above - €90). I'll update that mapping asap.

I have a new class 10 SD card ready to go.

But what - if anything - should I first be deleting from the internal memory? I hate unnecessary clutter in my folders & drives:

View attachment 359506

View attachment 359507

Thanks all y'all! :thumb2

Latest maps In total won’t fit on the device. You need to install the map to your PC using Garmin Express. Then use Garmin Map Installer to transfer the maps to your SD card. GE won’t see the SD card installed in a 550

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GE won’t see the SD card installed in a 550

Never had this issue with the 550 and express, its always recognized the card, and installed the whole of europe, just saying.

612ab7d0162cac07d7629f583c1460f4.jpg

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/gar...press-mac/132928-zumo-550-sd-card-map-updates

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/WIFhf0pGvIAJUbK9WunKa7

you have no argument from me, just relating how i get updates and the fact mine does work.

So the first method in this video ("Install Map To Computer") is the way to go, to get the new mapping onto my laptop?

And then I do something else to get that new mapping also onto my 550 - possibly onto an SD card (will my new 32gb card be sufficient?) rather than the 550's internal memory?

€90 of mapping on an easily lose-able SD card... :eek:

install all to pc/mac first that is correct, and then use basecamp or mapsource to send the maps to your card nb make sure you choose your card.. you then have your map products stored on your pc/mac to use with mapsource or basecamp, and you can also choose what sections of the full mapset to send to the card.

install all to pc/mac first that is correct, and then use basecamp or mapsource to send the maps to your card nb make sure you choose your card.. you then have your map products stored on your pc/mac to use with mapsource or basecamp, and you can also choose what sections of the full mapset to send to the card.

Not using Garmin Express then as per your other post?

i am yes, i use nothing else

Attachments

• gupa.jpg
    gupa.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 617
  • gup.jpg
    gup.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 617

Back
Top Bottom