Town and city parking tip.

Cardinal

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is common knowledge or not but here goes:

I went to park my bike in the usual cycle space spot in Chester and was stopped by a traffic warden who told me that the council had removed motorcycle privileges for that cycle bays. No idea why but there we go.

He was very nice chap and told me that I can park in any resident’s parking space without restriction, the reason being that the council had determined that it was impractical to issue parking permits to motorcycles as they could be easily removed.

It’s certainly a handy tip for Chester and I’m not sure what the local bylaws would be elsewhere. It makes parking easier as there are far more residents spaces than cycle spaces.

Happy days.

Interesting. I parked my GS in a residents parking zone outside my mum's place in North Yorkshire for a week this summer. The place is regularly patrolled by traffic wardens who dish out plenty of tickets and my bike was fine with no permit.

Wheeras......... I parked my G/S in a residents bay on the Isle of Wight (Cowes) outside my own front door just to nip in and change my gloves whilst out on a ride and was immediatly ticketed by a complete c**t of a warden who basically ran away when I challenged him (I had a resident permit for my car at the time) I appealed to the council who said yes we agree you are a resident, yes we agree you have a permit for you car, no we dont agree to void the ticket so bend over and give us what we want.

Wheeras......... I parked my G/S in a residents bay on the Isle of Wight (Cowes) outside my own front door just to nip in and change my gloves whilst out on a ride and was immediatly ticketed by a complete c**t of a warden who basically ran away when I challenged him (I had a resident permit for my car at the time) I appealed to the council who said yes we agree you are a resident, yes we agree you have a permit for you car, no we dont agree to void the ticket so bend over and give us what we want.

Hadn't occurred to me that I might be putting myself in the same situation. I also live in a residents parking restricted area. My car is registered online, and I have a paper permit for visitors. My bike is garaged away from my property but I sometimes nip back to the house. I'll have to give it some thought about what I do next time.

Just park on the pavement.
My wife has a shop in a busy town, where the council car parks are often full.
The car parks have wardens who dish out tickets assiduously.
There is never a cop or PCSO to be seen. Therefore I park on the double yellows outside the shop, because I have never known anyone to get a ticket.

Just park on the pavement.
My wife has a shop in a busy town, where the council car parks are often full.
The car parks have wardens who dish out tickets assiduously.
There is never a cop or PCSO to be seen. Therefore I park on the double yellows outside the shop, because I have never known anyone to get a ticket.

The parking regulations extend from building line to building line, so unless you are on the shops property, you could still get a ticket. Since general parking offences were decriminalised, Police or PCSO's don't issue tickets apart from red route or for obstruction offences.

It's a bit of a lottery, it seems. I stopped for lunch in Buxton earlier this year and was struggling to find anywhere to park the bike. Eventually, I came across a warden so I stopped and asked. He told me I was welcome to park where I was, which was a pay and display on street parking zone. No charge for motorcycles, he said.

I was in Liverpool a while back and tried to find a parking spot.
I was even prepared to pay at a machine but there were signs stating that motorcycles were not allowed.
In Bolton, some car parks charge full price for motorcycles. The public bays seem to be at discrection of the wardens.???
It seems a bit of a lottery...

So who can issue parking tickets?
My point was that while you can get a ticket in the council car park, no one gets issued with parking tickets when they are on the double yellow lines.

I was trying to park in a nearly full motorcycle bay in Nottingham, which meant the bike was not entirely inside the markings. A traffic warden was walking past so I asked if it would be OK, but he said no. He then went on to say that I could however park in any pay and display street parking area for free, which was great - more choice of places to park, and because of the random way cars get parked there is almost always a motorcycle sized gap somewhere in a line of parked cars.

It's a bit of a lottery, it seems. I stopped for lunch in Buxton earlier this year and was struggling to find anywhere to park the bike. Eventually, I came across a warden so I stopped and asked. He told me I was welcome to park where I was, which was a pay and display on street parking zone. No charge for motorcycles, he said.

Ha! I remember a few years ago questioning the heritage of every traffic warden in Buxton after I forgot the rego number of my hire car....their sodding nazi parking meters require it....of course it was pissing down at the time as well!

:rolleyes:

Ha! I remember a few years ago questioning the heritage of every traffic warden in Buxton after I forgot the rego number of my hire car....their sodding nazi parking meters require it....of course it was pissing down at the time as well!

:rolleyes:

Does it rain in Buxton then?
;)

Manchester has parking spaces all over the city specifically for bikes and don't charge, also it states on the city council website that bikes can park in any pay-and-display bays, but advise writing "M" (for motorbike) and the registration number on the ticket to discourage theft ... of the ticket of course!

Sad that all councils can't do the same and encourage the use of bikes and scoots.

Back
Top Bottom