Buckled front wheel

stratblue

genoQian
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My very own recording studio! (South Wales).
Hi All.

Went to get new tyres on and the guy there said that there was no point balancing the front wheel because it was buckled too badly (there is a little shake on the bars now). Just been talking to someone at Hagon who was very helpful but basically gave me no hope, understandably they couldn't say whether it was fixable without seeing it so I would have to post it up there, the nipples are almost certain to be seized solid he said and I would need new spokes which they don't have. He suggested I buy a secondhand wheel but check it visually first, not a ridiculous idea but I can see me ending up driving half way to Scotland or somewhere. Is there another option I'm missing or is there somewhere I can just take the hub and they have everything and just do the job with no faffing about?

Cheers.

I have built a few x spoke GS wheels,and the Hagon chap is correct,if the rim is bent ,it’s bent.
These aren’t pedal bike rims you cannot pull them true.
Hagon can supply spokes to order.takes a couple of weeks

Is it buckled or has it just gone out of true to the hub?... if the latter I'm sure you could re-true it... mount it and look at the damage.. if its a sudden flick when you rotate the wheel its the rim thats bent... if its a gradual move to one side and back again, it could be okay?... sorry if i'm stating the obviouse... :)

You will need a set of new spokes because aluminium corrosion jams the old ones into the hub. Copper plating the spoke ends would help but nobody does that. They at least should be treated with copper anti seize grease.

You have probably riding around with this “buckled” wheel for a long time. The only time it’s giving you any grief is when the fitter decided not to put balance weights on it. Are you sure it’s not just out of true? There is a tolerance allowance. I’d just get it balanced properly and if it rides ok just forget about it. JJH

Kev Blurton in Derby used to do cross spoke wheels. He doubles his labour prices but is still very good value. Derby 01332 369085

They are a pain in the ass to true up and if your rim is bent, bit the bullet and get another wheel. The cost can soon escalate if you aren't careful.

Hagon did a couple of wheels for me and are very good and there are only a few people out there who will touch them because they are a nightmare to do.

Just had the same thing, front wheel went wobbly. Sent to Hagon and rim was bent. Can't purchase a new rim silver rim (didn't ask about a black rim) new and could only find a second hand one from Motoworks which I didn't fancy taking a chance on.

Replaced my spoked wheels with cast.

Where are you based? Jones restoration services in Chester are a first rate wheel builders or possibly ask Central wheels in Birmingham for advice?

Central Wheels don't do cross spokes (I asked).

This looks interesting http://www.drwheelbuilding.com/prices.html
He says the BMW rear wheel needs jig which is why most wont touch them.

Total price for refurbishing a pair of GS tubeless wheels (Includes dismantling old wheels, shot blasting and powder coating rims and hubs, new stainless spokes and nipples, wheelbuilding and trueing) - £575.00 (£690.00 Inc. 20% VAT)​

Not bad for A PAIR but my wheels are in the garage and the bike is wearing cast alloys.

Central Wheels don't do cross spokes (I asked).

This was my understanding too but I spoke to them the other day at Motorcycle Live and they have started doing these wheels, they had an 1150 wheel on the stand they had done and it looked great. They charge £250 per wheel.

This was my understanding too but I spoke to them the other day at Motorcycle Live and they have started doing these wheels, they had an 1150 wheel on the stand they had done and it looked great. They charge £250 per wheel.

Good news there are plenty about for them to have a go at. Kev Blurton was around £180 but it's been a while since I asked. See if you can get the spoke ends copper plated to reduce the aluminium/stainless galvanic corrosion issues.

Back
Top Bottom