Spotlight not working. (Incompetence incoming).

stratblue

genoQian
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My very own recording studio! (South Wales).
Greetings to the Collective.

One of my spots on my 2011 GSA has stopped working. I have swapped the spots around and either work if on the off side of the bike so it's something a bit more deep and scary. Haynes says something about a ZEC unit (ZFC? FZE?) some 3 letter acronym thing, anyway which will probably tax my meagre understanding of electrickery. Apparently, the fusebox is under the panel on the near side of the bike but buggered if I can find it, Haynes has a diagram but all I could see was something that said 'relay' by the front point of the seat. If any of you fancy a bit of 'muppet leading' it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Are they HIDs by any chance? If so then suspect the ballast unit has failed - had this myself this year. You can buy the ballast units from Les Wassall of this parish.

Left hand side of the bike, pull the black plastic cover off and there is a relay in there with a bayonet fuse for each side. It’s happened to me a few times. Work the fuse holder out gently, don’t forget to depress the small plastic catches before easing it out. Check and replace the fuse and it should sort it out. I’ve had loads of bulbs go too so don’t forget to check that again once you’ve replaced the fuse.

On my 06 I'm sure the 2 fuses for the spotlights are under the off side panel ,

Its a ZFE module, (TLA) of german origin

Ordinarily the bike has no fuses per se, its all done by the electron fairys

The spots are outside of the fairy domain, so as K9 & Snooty say there may be an

old fashioned rusty nail jammed between some electrodes somewhere ;)

Left hand side of the bike, pull the black plastic cover off and there is a relay in there with a bayonet fuse for each side. It’s happened to me a few times. Work the fuse holder out gently, don’t forget to depress the small plastic catches before easing it out. Check and replace the fuse and it should sort it out. I’ve had loads of bulbs go too so don’t forget to check that again once you’ve replaced the fuse.

I couldn't budge it, I'll have another go with more force today.

The GSA spots (auxiliary headlights in the jargon) do have their own fusebox. It's under the left hand long black bodywork cover. The cover has three torx screws - long one at the back ;)

Each lamp has its own fuse. The bulbs are H11 if you ever need to replace.

The GSA spots (auxiliary headlights in the jargon) do have their own fusebox. It's under the left hand long black bodywork cover..

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Now.....I've been out in the garage for quite some time... looking exactly where you say, I've even got the Haynes out there and I'm looking exactly where the big arrow is pointing, just as you say too, but I'm buggered if I can see anything that resembles a fuse. I guess I'm just being thick or the previous owner relocated it. What does it look like? I assumed it would be a plastic flip top box with, you know, red fuses in it that can pull out.

Sorry to be so dopey!

Remove long black tank side cover on left (3 screws).
At front just ahead of fuel tank access over there is a crummy little box about 30mm square.
That’s the aux lights fuse box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 2010 gsa and the auxiliary light fuses are under the black plastic cover on the left side just under where the seat meets the tank by your left knee.
Pull the cover off, no screws.
There is a black thing that looks like a relay but it is not, the top comes off to reveal two 7.5 amp fuses.

Are they genuine BMW ones? If so they should be where everyone says, under the tank left hand aluminium panel. Only blade fuses on the bike.

YES, original factory fitted BMW auxiliary lights. 2010 GSA twin cam. Maybe everyone else's should be where mines are??
Pics_Art_11_25_11_43_53.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
[url=https://ibb.co/jvp03R]
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/dWjYOR/Pics_Art_11_25_11_46_38.jpg[/url][/IMG]

Mine has a different fuse box. Same mini fuses though.
I’ve used one to drive both main beam LED spots and the other to drive the daylights.

The next problem is the crummy switch on the LH switch block. I replaced mine with a toggle switch on the beak top.

iirc my earlier 2006/2008 GSA had the same fuse holder but was on the right side under one tank covers near the front. My switch is still hanging in there.��

YES, original factory fitted BMW auxiliary lights. 2010 GSA twin cam. Maybe everyone else's should be where mines are??
Pics_Art_11_25_11_43_53.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
[url=https://ibb.co/jvp03R]
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/dWjYOR/Pics_Art_11_25_11_46_38.jpg[/url][/IMG]

Thanks for the pics, that was the first thing I opened but there are no fuses in it on mine, it's just a connector of some sort, I looked the female side to see if the fuses were stuck in there somehow but nothing.

You saying that you have the light grey part but no fuses fitted? Are yours standard factory fitted or have they been fitted at a later date? May be someone wired them in using an alternative feed and a relay? Any extra wires attached to your battery? Bit odd.

You saying that you have the light grey part but no fuses fitted? Are yours standard factory fitted or have they been fitted at a later date? May be someone wired them in using an alternative feed and a relay? Any extra wires attached to your battery? Bit odd.

Yes it looks similar, grey but it just plugs into the bit on the left, male into female. The lights are standard, or look identical at least. No idea about how the previous owner might have changed them, or if they did. No extra wires on the battery, apart from the ones I have been adding.

The bit on the left is just a cover to protect the fuses, there is nothing inside this cap. except the fuses when you push it back together. If your lights have worked in the past then they must be getting their power from somewhere other than the official route? :nenau

Back
Top Bottom