1290 SA "S" as a year round bike

xantamisch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
just tried one and it was ballistically fast, and it's got some nice tech on it, but I sort of wondered if the power is usable short of a race track

I do about 10,000 miles a year, good chunk of this year round commuting, had 950 and 990 adventures before, about 40,000 miles on each of these, currently on a 30,000 mile GS which is obviously a brilliant all rounder. i do kind of wonder if the GS motor is more suited to this kind of use. Big V twins aren't Boxer smooth around town etc.

anyone got (sensible) opinions!?

thanks

So did you test it in traffic around town?

The engine is very smooth at low speed.

I find my 1290 to be far smother other than a specific 70mph range where the boxer was smoother. Outside that range though I always thought the boxer was rough as a dog especially in the higher regions. As to the all year use, yes you can and easily. With all the drive modes and safety features it's about as safe and drivable as your going to get.

I use my 1190R year round and commute into work across a frequently grid locked city.

Like boxers the engines smooth out and pull cleanly from lower the more miles you put on, I'd say 8-9,000 miles makes a real difference.
Having said that I've always found it better in traffic than my old 1200GS. Pulls more cleanly low down, less (shaft) transmission snatch, better gearbox and ultimately a lot less feathering of the clutch in stop/go filtering.

There's also the engine modes ~ I'll almost always use Rain mode in very heavy traffic and especially at this time of year when the roads are slimey and the car drivers blind. It gives smoother pick up with smoother low down fuelling and a less snatchy throttle.

In short my big KTM is fine, good in fact, for heavy traffic commuting.

Andres

My 1290S is my only bike and is used all year. Can it do stuff other than go fast? Of course!! Whilst I get your point, that a bike very much has character and soul, and that the KTM's DNA is 'Spank me' (Daddy), it's also surprisingly smooth for a twin, has a gear box that a GS can only dream of, and of course doesn't suffer from the utterly shit build quality that has blighted BMW since the Charlie and Ewan band waggon.

I always remap my bikes. For £300 odd it's a no brainer. And probably the biggest benefit of re-mapping is a silky smooth low rev throttle that makes wet winter urban riding a pleasure. :thumb2

I recently tested a GS and the 1290S, I must admit the latest GS is a shade smoother than the 1290S - which is noticeably smoother than my 1190S...

...even so, I would not swap my 1190 for the latest GS, after 18 months / 10,000 miles I have found my 1190 every bit as comfy and practical as my previous bikes (2011 Super Tenere / 2008 GS) whilst also being a lot more fun.

My next bike will most likely be the 1290, and I am highly unlikely to look at a GS unless they find another 50BHP for the 2018 model and stop the paint flaking off in the first 50 metres.

I recently tested a GS and the 1290S, I must admit the latest GS is a shade smoother than the 1290S - which is noticeably smoother than my 1190S...

Both my GS Rallye and my 1290S have been Hilltopped, and the 1290S is smoother than the GS.

OP, as an all year bike, the 1290S will be spot on.;)

I have owned a
2005 1200 gs 90000 km in 9 years
And a 2013 gs LC 30000 km in 1 year

And now a
1290 super adventure since 2015 with 70000 km and counting

I ride all year round to jobs all over the country (Nederland) also a lot of urban inner city riding
in all kinds of weather, the Only type I try to avoid is
snow and Black ice.

I prefer the wind protection, smooth Gearbox
and very light clutch

O did I mention the engine
Great about town,
Motorway
Excellent on mountain passes and hairpins
Good low rev manners as Wel as eye straining acceleration.

Suspension is not bad on my 2015 SA (T) but I found the 2005 gs (hyperpro)
And 2013 (dynamic esa)
A more balanced package.

My next bike (next year) will be another KTM

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

I've just chopped in my 2013 R1200 GSA - it was a twin cam and a thoroughly brilliant bike but the 1290 SAS beats it hands down in every department - especially in heavy urban traffic. I haven't had it remapped yet but I certainly will and I'll be keen to compare smoothness before and after because it's pretty good on stock settings.

All you need to know.

23032852_1697161317021651_5886676483190244171_n-XL.jpg

Okay I surrender - deposit down on an ex demo...... with full luggage, ergo seat, heated grips and prat Nav mount was same price as second hand Rallye without any extras too

Okay I surrender - deposit down on an ex demo...... with full luggage, ergo seat, heated grips and prat Nav mount was same price as second hand Rallye without any extras too

Good move :thumb

Only downside is the regret of not having turned Orange sooner :thumb2

Enjoy :beerjug:

Went out on my obsolete 1190 yesterday and really enjoyed it even with the roads being a bit slimy. Spooned a new Avon rear tyre onto it last night which gave me another excuse to go out today to scrub it in :D

Back
Top Bottom