Brittany Ferries booking - Saving money tip

Livo1200

Reaction score
Ok .its not a trick its just a better way of using the superb ferry crossing to your advantage;
I'm sure you all know this but hope you don't mind me going over my experiences.

Rule 1. Don't book online - ring the Holiday line and explain you want to tour Spain.
Rule 2. If you book 3 or more nights in a BF sponsored hotel , you get the crossing at a reduced rate and an inside 4 berth cabin ( almost free), compared to booking it online.
This year me and three other like minded chums( fools) , went to the Picos in August and stayed in a fab hotel ( De Oso) for 3 nights, actually it was 2 nights ,then 1 x night on the way back to Santander.

The other 5 nights we stayed in a Booking.com hotel ( the only reason was ,that there weren't any BF Hotels in the area that we wanted ,but in hindsight, I probably could have found one if I'd looked better)
Check the web site for all the hotel locations ( some may suit your intended routes) ,but talk to a person in their Holiday Sales Team ,they're really helpful and will get you the best deal they can.
My trip this August cost me ;
£495.60 that's a Return Crossing + 1 x bike + inside 4 berth cabins ( 2 people) = 3 x nights B&B in BF Hotel , as I said the other nights were booked independently , but the key is to qualify for the cheaper deal ,you must stay at least 3 x nights in a BF hotel

I've done this before and as you say it does work to your advantage, good tip :thumby:

Great tip, thanks. Booked return Portsmouth Bilbao, inside cabin, for May 2018, 3 nights in De Oso Hotel B+B, 2 people 1 bike, £505.

That’s a great tip :thumb2

I’ve been sitting around trying to think of somewhere to go towards the end of March and because Northern Europe will still be a bit of a gamble I’ve been leaning towards heading for Spain or Portugal and if I can get a good deal on the ferry it makes it much more attractive.

That’s a great tip :thumb2

I’ve been sitting around trying to think of somewhere to go towards the end of March and because Northern Europe will still be a bit of a gamble I’ve been leaning towards heading for Spain or Portugal and if I can get a good deal on the ferry it makes it much more attractive.

I'm taking the gamble and heading to Vianden in Lux - Ardennes one side, Eifel/Mosel the other so hopefully some decent days riding. Going the week before the Easter weekend.

I'm taking the gamble and heading to Vianden in Lux - Ardennes one side, Eifel/Mosel the other so hopefully some decent days riding. Going the week before the Easter weekend.

It all depends on where and when my presence is required after this job finishes. The other half won’t have enough holidays to come with me so it’ll be one of my normal excursions that could end up anywhere.

It all depends on where and when my presence is required after this job finishes. The other half won’t have enough holidays to come with me so it’ll be one of my normal excursions that could end up anywhere.

I'm running solo as well this time. The 2 usual Easter companions are otherwise occupied with crises of one kind or another. So, if you fancy a few days flitting around the Eifel/Mosel/Ardennes then let me know.

I'm running solo as well this time. The 2 usual Easter companions are otherwise occupied with crises of one kind or another. So, if you fancy a few days flitting around the Eifel/Mosel/Ardennes then let me know.

Ok, I’ll do that because as you know I’m quite partial to riding around the Ardennes. This is a trip using hotels isn’t it?

Above all else don’t mention it to A because she’ll start sulking because she’s not a filthy overpaid contractor with at least 12 weeks holiday every year.

Ok, I’ll do that because as you know I’m quite partial to riding around the Ardennes. This is a trip using hotels isn’t it?

Above all else don’t mention it to A because she’ll start sulking because she’s not a filthy overpaid contractor with at least 12 weeks holiday every year.

oh yes, hotels. As it is Easter I have provisionally pre-booked them, but have the usual option to change my mind. Rough plan is to get an afternoon boat/train on Sat 24/3 and ride to Poperinge as I have never been - apparently centre of Belgian hop production. Bimble down through the Ardennes to Vianden for 3 nights. Stop in Ieper on the way back on 28/3, home on 29th but not back in work until after Easter weekend, so could extend if the weather is pleasant. 2 free days to ride around the German/Lux border and/or Ardennes or some other distraction if the weather is shit.

Ok .its not a trick its just a better way of using the superb ferry crossing to your advantage;
I'm sure you all know this but hope you don't mind me going over my experiences.

Rule 1. Don't book online - ring the Holiday line and explain you want to tour Spain.
Rule 2. If you book 3 or more nights in a BF sponsored hotel , you get the crossing at a reduced rate and an inside 4 berth cabin ( almost free), compared to booking it online.
This year me and three other like minded chums( fools) , went to the Picos in August and stayed in a fab hotel ( De Oso) for 3 nights, actually it was 2 nights ,then 1 x night on the way back to Santander.

The other 5 nights we stayed in a Booking.com hotel ( the only reason was ,that there weren't any BF Hotels in the area that we wanted ,but in hindsight, I probably could have found one if I'd looked better)
Check the web site for all the hotel locations ( some may suit your intended routes) ,but talk to a person in their Holiday Sales Team ,they're really helpful and will get you the best deal they can.
£495.60 that's a Return Crossing + 1 x bike + inside 4 berth cabins ( 2 people) = 3 x nights B&B in BF Hotel , as I said the other nights were booked independently , but the key is to qualify for the cheaper deal ,you must stay at least 3 x nights in a BF hotel

Thats a great tip for next year. This year Shipping and flying to Portugal but next year I definitely want to do the Picos :thumb

Thats a great tip for next year. This year Shipping and flying to Portugal but next year I definitely want to do the Picos :thumb

Be sure to go into the Town Hall in Poperinge, they have preserved the cell used for the First World War deserters and so called cowards before they were shot at dawn in the court yard outside, those executed are buried in a cemetery just on the outskirts of town both worthy of a visit.

oh yes, hotels. As it is Easter I have provisionally pre-booked them, but have the usual option to change my mind. Rough plan is to get an afternoon boat/train on Sat 24/3 and ride to Poperinge as I have never been - apparently centre of Belgian hop production. Bimble down through the Ardennes to Vianden for 3 nights. Stop in Ieper on the way back on 28/3, home on 29th but not back in work until after Easter weekend, so could extend if the weather is pleasant. 2 free days to ride around the German/Lux border and/or Ardennes or some other distraction if the weather is shit.

Be sure to go into the Town Hall in Poperinge, they have preserved the cell used for the First World War deserters and so called cowards before they were shot at dawn in the court yard outside, those executed are buried in a cemetery just on the outskirts of town both worthy of a visit.

Great tip. I'll try that too and see what I can get when travelling alone.

I've just done a test booking for three nights in the Hotel Del Oso in September for one person, one bike and I had an outside cabin going and an inside one back and it gave me a cost of £861.75! I'll have to try again and get it cheaper.

I've just done a test booking for three nights in the Hotel Del Oso in September for one person, one bike and I had an outside cabin going and an inside one back and it gave me a cost of £861.75! I'll have to try again and get it cheaper.

Tried it again with three nights in the Del Oso and sleeping in a chair both ways and it's £792.50! Not much cheaper and that's still September.

I can't seem to get it as cheap as you. Your costs I could live with but not the quotations I got!

Back
Top Bottom