Iceland Trip - accomodation avaliability

hi222

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to Iceland in the summer next year and wondered if its essential to book accommodation well in advance or if its ok to just turn up and find it on the fly.

Any help is really appreciated

Thanks

You really need to book it, Iceland gets very busy these days.

Plus, it will give you a chance to plan routes, and agree tourism has gone through the roof.

Enjoy though, lots to see.

Iceland has changed so much in the last fifteen years......... The numbers of tourists now is mind boggling

You can still have the place to yourself though and the scenery is utterly fantastic

I'm just about to book a flight for my eleventh trip there not on a GS but cycling and heading up to Snaefellsnes, The Westfjords and along the north coast to Siglufjordur, Akureyri then then back along the southern section of ring road so all in around fourteen hundred miles(weather and time allowing)

I mostly camp in at the end of May some of the campsites haven't fully opened so you can still have the place to yourself and I use hostels and the odd hotel for a morale booster

A Swiss cyclist taught me a neat trick a couple of trips ago and I often follow his example and after a night in my tent I head to the local five star hotel and have a full and I mean full breakfast for around a tenner and after six or seven courses it fair sets you up for the day.

Don't miss a visit to the island of Vestmannaeyjar off the south coast near Selfoss........... Its amazing!

FP.

Many thanks for the advice so far

Sounds like I'm going to have a great trip

Try to avoid the end of July/beginning of August as this is the Icelander's holiday period and you may find lack of hotel rooms and campsites full to overflowing due to festivals and the like.
Having said that, I found that a lot of hotel rooms are block booked by tour companies only to be cancelled at the last minute when they don't get anyone booking their tours.
Do the same via Booking.com and cancel without penalty if you find you're not going to make it.

Hello all,

On the same subject, I'm planning a trip there as well - probably not next year but the year after once I've gained a bit more experience in these things, as I've not passed the test as yet, but have a 650 Dakar in the garage for when I do...:cool:

I notice on the map that there are a large number of 'mountain huts' as it says in the key. They're pretty much everywhere on the island:
I was wondering though, what's the score with these? I assume you pay somewhere? Are they big, small, or do they vary?

I was thinking of a combination of camping and mountain hut, in order to keep the price reasonable, and the options open..... Does it sound feasible to those who've been?

Thanks in advance!

Many of the mountain huts are emergency refuges although there are also many that can be used to stay in, they're often used by hikers so if you may find you'll be sharing a tiny hut. Also remember that offroad riding is strictly illegal, stay on the tracks.

That's worth knowing, thanks for that. Maybe best not to rely on the huts, although presumably some are bigger than others.

I was thinking along the lines of bringing the tent as the main sleeping arrangement, but if the huts looked a better option on arrival at the location, could do that instead maybe?

Is there a decent guide to riding over there that's up to date, that anyone knows of?
I'm just wondering of the best way to plan the trip, beyond the excellent information on here that is!

Back
Top Bottom