Anyone lowered a 1190?

Dirty Ming

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I absolutely love my 1190 but as age and disabilities increase I'm finding it a little tricky balancing the thing on dodgy surfaces, inclines etc. The weight isn't excessive for a big adventure bike, in fact it's about as low as you're going to get and I do love the grunt, which is why I moved from a Tiger 800. That bike didn't feel too bad when moving it around and it's not much lighter than the 1190 so I think the increased height and consequent lack of leverage is causing me the grief.

I've done some searching and it seems that a company in Germany called Metisse make a collar to go on the rear shock which lowers the bike by 35mm. You then lower the forks and may have to shorten the sidestand. Before I shell out 150euros buying it and then getting someone to fit it, has anyone actually tried one with this alteration on it? I should add mine's the roadie with electronic suspension.

I was wondering what the handling, ground clearance etc would be like. I'm grinding bits of the centre stand off already on left handers so a bit worried it's only going to make things worse. I suppose if it's lowered I may not be able to use the centre stand anyway as I don't have the strength to lift the bike up to get the leverage.

I really don't want to have to go down to a CB500X or similar as I regularly do long distance stuff, sometimes two-up, so need the extra grunt of the big engine. I tried the new 1290S and the suspension didn't compress at all when I sat on it - I guess it's spring for someone heavier than my 11 stone.........

Hi, only last week I had mine raised back to original.
I have the hyperpro spring on eBay.
I had it fitted while waiting for a new hip.
It lowers the bike about 30 mm.
It cost about an hours labour to fit it.
£25 +p& p if you want

Typical........I bought one at the NEC show!. Having said that, they sent the wrong one and it's gone back so I'll ring them tomorrow and if the one I need (for an EDS model roadie) isn't available I'll cancel the order and have yours, if it's still for sale.

Trialer - is the spring you have for sale for an "R" model or the roadie with EDS, which is the one I have? I think the part number ends 007.....

I'll have that spring, mate. Hyperpro don't have one in stock at the moment

Back
Top Bottom