Camera mount

Mr T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for all the weird answers but, where is the best place to position a camera on the front? What bracket have you used? Is the mount that comes with the camera strong enough not to fall off!
Pictures if possible would be nice.

I'm getting ready for all the weird answers but, where is the best place to position a camera on the front? What bracket have you used? Is the mount that comes with the camera strong enough not to fall off!
Pictures if possible would be nice.

It might help somewhat if you said what camera you have :thumb

Virb xe, can they be mounted behind the screen? or will that interfere with focus?

Fella if you take a look on my site in the TC (or the LC section, I can`t remember, I`m still mashed from last night :) section you`ll see an adjustable mount that clamps to the rack - if it`s of any interest!

www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk

Bracket...

I made a mount out of aluminium plate.
I considered a mount on either indicator stalk (as per a lot of the commercially available ones) but decided that a centrally mounted POV was better on the front camera. I decided on a highish set and I did consider placing the lens behind the screen but realised how dirty the screen gets and how much dirt gets behind the screen... and that it’s difficult to get all the way behind there to clean a lens that might be there.
So it seemed sensible to mount off of the two screws above right & left of the headlight.
I made a cardboard template, cut the ally sheet and simply used a protractor to work out the degree of bend required on the two mounting points.

The projecting mounting point was made to carry the lens set that I have (Innovv) but it could be cut/drilled for any camera.

Attachments

• ED01FC19-B79C-44B2-8DB3-B8DC55B5A49B.jpg
    ED01FC19-B79C-44B2-8DB3-B8DC55B5A49B.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 828
  • 5FCD5B65-C66C-4503-BE3D-2D5E7D84B2EF.jpeg
    5FCD5B65-C66C-4503-BE3D-2D5E7D84B2EF.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 832
I made a mount out of aluminium plate.
I considered a mount on either indicator stalk (as per a lot of the commercially available ones) but decided that a centrally mounted POV was better on the front camera. I decided on a highish set and I did consider placing the lens behind the screen but realised how dirty the screen gets and how much dirt gets behind the screen... and that it’s difficult to get all the way behind there to clean a lens that might be there.
So it seemed sensible to mount off of the two screws above right & left of the headlight.

I made a cardboard template, cut the ally sheet and simply used a protractor to work out the degree of bend required on the two mounting points.

The projecting mounting point was made to carry the lens set that I have (Innovv) but it could be cut/drilled for any camera.

Think I'm going to have to do the same

I thought long and hard about a camera mount on the GS. I have a gopro cube and 2 drift ghosts which I've had for a good while and more recently an Innovv K2 dual camera system. I looked at angles, plates, etc but my past experience of these is athat you get a lot of vibration which the camera (even with image stability) can find hard to cope with. In the end I made a post which replaces one of the screws on the front of the small clear polycarbonate deflector. I then machined a clamping disc to which the camera attaches. It's really rigid and easy to remove, adjust, etc (for the drift) and for the Innovv, it's really close to the deflector so no wires dangling in the breeze. https://photos.app.goo.gl/HRLzSj29HWjWC1uc6

AF1QipOd0KzRXGji1fWqXCPo-ca53g1XPyv7tpLX5SQw

AF1QipMhkXjhfqQ-gVUuaPYdeA9rQbMvUoR5XnPe6tdA

AF1QipPNH87j28yO5KrYQkxNLb6oApgqw_JJkhbKHIyV

AF1QipMc1ClAyvspCD2PaTm2P30gMv3XtHW0NEMgOhPk

The post is a 10mm stainless steel stock bar, internally threaded one end to M6 with a st.steel grub screw bonded into the end, turned to a dome the other end. There's a pair of flats (8 A/F) near the base to tighten it. I made a Delrin (acetal) collar which has the same form (shoulder) as the removed screw. Really simple to fit. The clamps are also delrin, split clamps which hold the camera and clamp onto the shaft at the same time. If anyone is interested I can provide more info and drawings. Or if you like it but aren't in the position to make stuff, I may be able to supply a set for a small price. And before any one points it out - the bike is filthy...... :D

Have you tried it on the road yet?

I only ask as it looks as though you may get high frequency vibration that causes a 'wavy' image - a problem I've had in the past.

A neat solution if it doesn't suffer.

With my GoPro I use RAM mounts as much as possible. It's a doddle to change angles, direction it points etc. I'm pretty sure you can get Virb compatible versions too. AliExpress have plenty of clamp type mounts that have a RAM ball on the end - great for mounting onto crash bars or grab rails. To counter the wavy footage caused by vibes from the bike, I often wrap a heavy duty rubber band around the body of the camera and fix the other end to somewhere on the bike body. That helps to smoothen out the vibes that occur at certain revs.

Best option is to mount the camera to your lid - that means your body absorbs the majority of the vibrations and also you can 'look around' which make the footage that bit more interesting.

I use this one with my Virb XE: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-VCR-Mount-Bracket-Cam-Rack-Indicator-For-BMW-R1200GS-LC-ADV-Adventure/252823158544?fits=UKM_Make%3ABMW%7CUKM_StreetName%3ALC&epid=28017020873&hash=item3add6f3f10:g:K5IAAOSw4CFY05JY

I removed the standard Go-Pro mount part and modified one of the virb QR mounts by drilling through the 4 corner screw holes and through the mount plate and using small screws with nylock nuts on the back to secure it. It works great and is very solid with no camera shake or wobble. The QR mount means I can remove it quickly when I park up and dont have to worry about re-aligning it every time.
Also I use the extended right-angle virb mount to ensure the windscreen stays fully adjustable :thumb2

ZKoRg5I.jpg

AQI6kwa.jpg

ZszEsMB.jpg

Best option is to mount the camera to your lid - that means your body absorbs the majority of the vibrations and also you can 'look around' which make the footage that bit more interesting.

This :agree

I have tried all kinds of mounts and positions but not been successful thus far. My Sony FDR-X3000 is brilliant with vibration stabilizing but the GS motor creates a lot of yello effect.
So far, no bike mounted position beats the stable and clear helmet mount.

The best bike mounted footage I’ve seen is from this guy. A cheap and simple design but a bit big to hide away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnMP81pcMWU&t=423s
When I have time, I’m going to try and build one with a slightly smaller footprint to suit my Sony.

It all depends on what you want to use the footage for.
For daily commute, you want a clear video that will show the reg number if you’re in an accident. In my opinion, the helmet mount is the best option for this.

For touring and track days etc., where you’ll want to keep or share the videos, its great to have the camera mounted so you can see the bike in motion. Helmet mount is also good because you’ll see the dash and front wheel.

Below are some of my 4K 30FPS video clips with my Sony mounted on the indicator stalk and others on the helmet. Wind noise is bad on some so turn the volume down.
If you look at the trees you’ll notice some wobble or yello effect on the bike mount but great quality video on the helmet.
I also find where you see some of the bike in the videos, you feel more part of the ride instead of just looking at a video… if that makes sense :nenau

Bike Mount

Could also use a Virb Xe to Gopro adapter, will be a doddle to print.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3026572

Not needed! the Virb XE comes with a two eared GO-PRO compatible mount as standard!

I have tried a number of mounting options, I found that the side (indicator) mounts, even the really solid one's, vibrate like crazy and make the footage really poor.

The cross mounts from ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-VC...IAAOSw4CFY05JYare rock solid with 3 attachment points so don't suffer much from vibrations. Definitely the best option for bike mounting IMO!

I was very disappointed with the amount of vibes from the indicator mounts as well. I ended up placing a piece of foam between the gopro and the bike and using some rubber banding to hold the camera steady. Little bit of a faff, but makes for decent steady footage...

Not needed! the Virb XE comes with a two eared GO-PRO compatible mount as standard!

I have tried a number of mounting options, I found that the side (indicator) mounts, even the really solid one's, vibrate like crazy and make the footage really poor.

The cross mounts from ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-VC...IAAOSw4CFY05JYare rock solid with 3 attachment points so don't suffer much from vibrations. Definitely the best option for bike mounting IMO!

:thumb:thumb:thumb back to the drawing board.

Back
Top Bottom