would a 2006 bevel box fit a 2011 twin cam

Ok so the twin cams were the ones with the breathers. I wouldn't be using an 06 FD on a 2011 TC for sure.

I believe so. Early models (as described in @Patzx12 thread where he stripped the FD) had a 30mm pinion nose bearing. His was chewed almost to falling apart at 17K miles. The 08/09 has a 32mm nose bearing which seems more durable. The 10 to 13 has a breather as well.

Mine gets 200ml at oil change which is probably closer to 220ml added to a dry gearbox. It's only ever leaked when the wheel bearing failed. I'm sure BMW dropping oil levels to 180ml is part of the problem.

I thought shafts only differed at the gear box end.. not FD end.... where is the breather.. can't remember seeing one on my 2010 FD??

A 2011 tc will have the later breather type fd fitted.
Some early 2010 tc model year did have the mk2 non breather fitted.
A 2006 fd could be either a mk1 or mk 2 as this was the change period.
All three units share the same size pinion spline so although all Will physically “fit” ,your problem lies with the abs sensor.
I believe the three main types do not share the same sensor.
A pre 2006 will definitely not fit
With regard to the post 2006 I am not sure as I’ve never compared the fixing or size of the sensor,one thing I can tell you is the crown wheel is completely different and may well have a different number of “teeth” on the abs side of the crown wheel and even though the sensor Might fit,it could well screw up the abs and traction control .
Best sticking to the correct unit:D

A 2011 tc will have the later breather type fd fitted.
Some early 2010 tc model year did have the mk2 non breather fitted.
A 2006 fd could be either a mk1 or mk 2 as this was the change period.
All three units share the same size pinion spline so although all Will physically “fit” ,your problem lies with the abs sensor.
I believe the three main types do not share the same sensor.
A pre 2006 will definitely not fit
With regard to the post 2006 I am not sure as I’ve never compared the fixing or size of the sensor,one thing I can tell you is the crown wheel is completely different and may well have a different number of “teeth” on the abs side of the crown wheel and even though the sensor Might fit,it could well screw up the abs and traction control .
Best sticking to the correct unit:D

:thumb2

I've got a spare 20k mile 2011 final drive with a breather :D

Back
Top Bottom