Fuel Strip whoes

newman7096

Reaction score
Fuel Strip has gone again. No surprise in that really!

Last one was fitted in March 17 2500 miles ago.

Booked it in to dealer as it’s covered under the 2 year part warranty.

Arrived at dealer today to be told they need to have the bike for 24hrs before they will release the bike back to me to ensure it’s functioning correctly! New directive from BMW apparently due to huge number of faliures!

Massively inconvenient as I specifically asked when I booked it if it would be fitted while I waited.

The fuel strip is fundamentally flawed. The heater track almost never fails but the much finer zig-zag sensing track can't take the strain.

Henk has some later model floats with adaptors on eBay but the cost is eye watering.

Some time ago I mentioned that I was building a float convertor for the GS(A)'s, it's ready now!
Today I made a started with my website but it's still under construction although it will be ready in the next two weeks.

So, with ordering it, manuals etc. Then the site also be available in the English language. You now can take a look at my website at www.proebeemer.nl .
Klik on "Produkten" then you'll see the Float Control. In the past weekt Float Control is heavy tested on several bikes.
After the website is finnished I'll start with some embedded software for placing a float in the tank of a R1200RT just like the Polish PDF. Because you can't click a original float on the pumpunit in thCe tank of a R1200RT. For that purpose I use a (car) float of the brand "Bugiad". German brand and also same quality as VDO float's.

With my Float Control for GS(A) you should use floater type number for the GSA: 16148554065 and for the GS: 16148554064

Bert Proeme
Netherlands

Some time ago I mentioned that I was building a float convertor for the GS(A)'s, it's ready now!
Today I made a started with my website but it's still under construction although it will be ready in the next two weeks.

So, with ordering it, manuals etc. Then the site also be available in the English language. You now can take a look at my website at www.proebeemer.nl .
Klik on "Produkten" then you'll see the Float Control. In the past weekt Float Control is heavy tested on several bikes.
After the website is finnished I'll start with some embedded software for placing a float in the tank of a R1200RT just like the Polish PDF. Because you can't click a original float on the pumpunit in thCe tank of a R1200RT. For that purpose I use a (car) float of the brand "Bugiad". German brand and also same quality as VDO float's.

With my Float Control for GS(A) you should use floater type number for the GSA: 16148554065 and for the GS: 16148554064

Bert Proeme
Netherlands
I think there will be many GS owners wanting to order your completed float converters. Me included.
Especially with the very high cost of other converters available elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

A car type float with the correct height/length of float arm should be much lower costs than BMW bike float sensors. The resistance range is unlikely to be the same but a converter can be built to deal with that. The float assembly can be attached to the fuel pump carrier with a couple of self tapping screws.

But it shouldn't be like this should it ? Its supposed to be a premium bit of kit is it not ? Money pit more like it, as they get older.

Yes indeed. And I'm stuck with mine. :(

Don't get me wrong, my GSA was brilliant and had nothing go wrong in the 3 and a half years i had it, and i was lucky that my first GS was covered under the warranty when the alternator seized up. But given the amount of repeat failures of the same thing list in the pages of this place you would wonder why they don't modify them in some way and redo fit to older bikes FOC.

Can I ask all 'failed fuel strip' owners of they have the lowest bar on their fuel display showing? Mine does not.
The bottom bar denotes the heater element. My ZFE refuses to send any voltage to the fuel strip 4 pin connector.
Which means no emulators or converters will work on my bike.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Mine had the lowest bar showing until I took it out then all bars were empty. Its now spoofed to show a full tank.. I'll have unplug it and pop a 40 ohm across pins 1 and 4 to see if the bottom bar lights up.

When measured the sensing strip was open circuit and heater strip showed 37 ohm. I didn't test for a bias resistor before trying to chip away the epoxy and right royally fekking it up.

What's so really annoying is how its so not necessary. Honda use a thermistor to indicate low fuel. When the fuel level gets low enough, the thermistor warms up and conducts power to the low fuel warning light. Simple, cheap, reliable and independent of any fuel gauge.

Back
Top Bottom