2008 stelvio

goat78

Reaction score
So whilst hunting for an 1150gs I've stumbled upon a well looked after 2008 stelvio (not ntx) Full history most of it at baldricks. Roller cam upgrade, engine bars and the like, 50000miles, guy is selling as he's bought a newer stelvio.. Anything I should look out for when I go to see it tomorrow? Will I be a forum outcast if I end up with no gs but a guzzi :blast

Yeah looks reet nice. I checked with baldricks who knew the bike straight off, confirmed servicing including one earlier this year and no recollection of issues outstanding which is good. Don't think I'll get a chance to ride her tomorrow (back playing up a goodun), so will have a good look, ask for a start up from cold and consider a speculative punt.

So whilst hunting for an 1150gs I've stumbled upon a well looked after 2008 stelvio (not ntx) Full history most of it at baldricks. Roller cam upgrade, engine bars and the like, 50000miles, guy is selling as he's bought a newer stelvio.. Anything I should look out for when I go to see it tomorrow? Will I be a forum outcast if I end up with no gs but a guzzi :blast

No you won't be cast out. There's quite a number of Guzzi fans on here and 2or 3 Stelvio fans, me included.

Any bike with 50,000 on it is unlikely to be a minter, but there are one or two things to look out for on the Stelvio.

Rear shock if original is almost sure to be past it's best. The alloy on the shock mount sometimes starts to split at the lower mount.

The main thing to look out for is cracking on the 'Rhino Horn' front wheel spindle clamp. Check where the two spindle clamp bolts fasten, these were often over tightened and cracked along the lower fork leg. Often hard to see so have a very close look. 2008 model had 50mm forks and these are no longer available but it can be repaired by a competent welder.

The other big problem with the 1200 Guzzi 4 valve engine was the oil pressure sensor switch, which is located right between the 'V' and not visible on inspection. Look on the left hand side of the bike just behind the oil cooler at the engine casing any oil around that area is more than likely coming from the pressure switch. Not an expensive job if you can do it yourself, bit includes stripping the bodywork and taking the tank off, so can be expensive if you've to pay someone.

I've seen the bike on e,bay and with it's history looks like it could be a decent bike, and I reckon you could get it a bit cheaper.
Having said all the above don't let it put you off, it's had the roller conversion so should be OK.

BUT, be warned Guzzi's have a wat of getting under your skin. Let us know how you get on.

Go for it, they're nice bikes, I've had two and didn't feel like an outcast on here.

As an add on to what wrinklieowl mentions, if you get a misfire it will likely be the HT lead and plug caps. I had this on my first Stelvio (2009 model) it was easily cured by fitting NGK parts. Just change the oil and filter regularly with good quality 10/60 synthetic and all should be well.

Come on Mr Goat..

Spill the beens..... ;)

Pick her up tomorrow. All seemed to check out to the best of my ability. Few cosmetic bits could do with sorting but seems honest and sound, well will find out won't I. Would like to have taken her out today but back still playing up. Gonna soak my back in the bath, and take a few ibuprofen with me. Failing that will call in a friend to ride her back.

Anyone got a nice exhaust they want to move on? The stock I've sounds fine but can't help thinking she could sound a lot better!
She's Not lightweight but reassuringly solid. Step up from the bandit I'm currently riding. Wish me luck tomorrow folks and thanks again for all the advice and help.

Enjoy....If your going to be riding all year, as Fatal suggests, swap the plug caps and leads for NGK items. If it feels a little snatchy at low speed send me a pm and I'll try to explain a little mod you cane do to the throttle cam.

You've gone and done it now...you'll always want a Guzzi in your stable.

OH, and always make sure you've a spare 30amp fuse.

cheers gents. Got her back home now. embarrassingly stalled pulling away and managed to change down to first and my toe caught and flicked out the side stand cutting the engine. Other than that all good. Lovely ride down the a127 and a12 in miserable weather, very engaging, great sound and handles so well, weight melts away and she cruises along perfectly, big smile on face. Definitely my type of bike. Plug caps and leads have been done I believe. Definitely a little snatchy so pm inbound wrinkley.

Health and wealth to enjoy & ride safe... :thumb

Replied to your PM Dominic. I'll put it on here just in case anyone else is interested.

Now you can go full hogg and spend £79.99 on a throttle tamer, but with a bit of careful trimming you can achieve the same with your own throttle grip. Have a look at www.g2ergo.com this will give you a visual Idea of what I'm on about.

So, completely remove your throttle grip from the bike. look at it head on from the end the cables attach to, you will see that this is perfectly symmetrical from the point of the cable slots.
What you need to do is to flatten the camber for about 15mm from the cable slot that holds the cable that opens the throttle. Measure round the camber 15mm and mark the plastic. measure down 2/3mm into the plastic at the base of the throttle open cable, now scribe a line between the two marks you've made.

Take a Stanley knife with a new blade and carefully trim between the two points, in effect reducing the camber on the first 15mm of the throttle control. I've done it on two bikes and it really does reduce throttle snatch. Another thing which helps and is discussed at length on many Guzzi sites, is to take all play out of the throttle.

Hope this is clear. Maybe worth seeing if you can get hold of a used grip to have a go on, but it really is easy and effective.

Enjoy the Stelvio. two or three really good sites for info.

Steve

Cheers Steve, I'll have a look at that in due course. Had a good run out Sunday up to Thaxted in Essex with my partner on the back for the first time on the Guzzi. Lovely day out, like riding a big purring cat, extra weight of a pillion handled with ease which is where the bandit struggles and very comfortable for both of us apart from being cold.

larry didn't feel he had sold it til it was gone , waiting for his new one to arrive ! he cried after you had taken it away , it was his first big bike .

larry didn't feel he had sold it til it was gone , waiting for his new one to arrive ! he cried after you had taken it away , it was his first big bike .

Nice chap was Larry She's in good hands now though, ready for many more miles. Just what I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom