setting cam timing on 05.

BlueBird

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
putting my old engine back together after bending a conrod,

anyone point me in the direction of setting the cam timing as ive had the heads off,:nenau

Done a search but cant rind anything.

However the flywheel has a hole to lock the engine at TDC. There is a corresponding hole in the crankcase RHS. BMW sell a special tool but a suitable bolt will work fine. After that, you will need a workshop manual.

sorted it TDC on left then slot in cam pointing south,

TDC on right slot in cam pointing north.

I’m planning to fit new cam tensioner pistons so I hope that timing information won’t be be needed. :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m planning to fit new cam tensioner pistons so I hope that timing information won’t be be needed. :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Its easy mate,
left one is fiddly as telelever is in way, 15mm spanner undo lift it up and piston will drop down onto tensioner blade,lift out top half, I use a magnet to get the piston out then, may have to watch piston dosent drop into bottom of cylinder etc

no problem with right side as its underneath and access and gravity are on yr side.
Might get a bit of cam chain slap for a few secs while the oil gets up to pressure.

Its easy mate,
left one is fiddly as telelever is in way, 15mm spanner undo lift it up and piston will drop down onto tensioner blade,lift out top half, I use a magnet to get the piston out then, may have to watch piston dosent drop into bottom of cylinder etc

no problem with right side as its underneath and access and gravity are on yr side.
Might get a bit of cam chain slap for a few secs while the oil gets up to pressure.

Thanks for that. :thumb

Getting the front swing arm off would be good idea anyway. The bearings were ropey at 50K but I'd already spent a fortune on the back-end, so it went back with new grease.

Back
Top Bottom