Aux Power Socket/Battery charging

philandktb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought a 2012 F650GS Twin but can't seem to get any life from the Aux power socket. It won't accept my charger through the socket and I have tried connecting a bulb across the wires from the plug but all appears dead, So I've been searching for the 5amp fuse but cannot find a fuse box and the riders handbook gives no clues as to location? Anyone able to give me some advice? Would it be best to fit some wire connectors to the battery terminals and just plug in my charger to the leads or is that not recommended? I use a top dog charger for AGM sealed batteries made by CTek 0.8/5.0amp charge rate.

Hi if its the same as my F8gs 09 you'll need a Din/Hella socket adapter to convert to the larger standard size charger plug. You can get them with usb connections as well. As for no power I wasn't aware it was fused just part of the canbus system but could be wrong. When testing It's ignition live as opposed to permanent. Personally I don't use mine and fitted a standard charging socket direct to battery with inline fuse. I made a plate which is mounted to the left of the clocks and for less than £10 ebay/amazon you can get a half waterproof charger socket & LED voltmeter so you can keep an eye on the charging/stator condition that people have suffererd with. I trickle charge the battery through this as well :thumb2

As Qplate says, it’s only live when the ignition is on. No fuses because it’a canbus system; and you would need a specific canbus charger to charge the battery via that socket.

If you remove the four obvious screws in your “tank cover”, plus the two not so obvious ones either side of the ignition switch, you can lift the cove off and check that the plug hasn’t come off the back of the socket. Whilst there, you could fit an optimate lead across the battery for charging or install a second fused socket as Qplate suggests.

If you look very carefully near the headstock there is a bit of 'bracing' with a convenient hole in it. This is perfect to mount a waterproof din connector direct to your battery; then you can charge it with anything you want.

Thanks Guys - Since posting we have carefully read the Riders Manual and have realised that BMW have come up with a 'Smart' Aux socket that works when they want it to, but not when we want it to!!! Found it only works when ignition is on and then for 15 minutes after it is switched off. Now absolutely no good for lighting the tent from it, or working our tyre compressor pump etc. unless the engine is running. Definately no hairdriers!
The socket for charging is not much good either as it only activates when your battery is low and allowing their Canbus charger to work.
Have searched a few Adv Rider forums - can see that many are fitting a separate fuse box and running accessories from a separate feed from the battery. Also connecting the charger wiring with plug from battery to accessible charging point either below the left hand side panel or up front as you have suggested. I guess the Optimate or CTek float chargers will not harm the electrics or ECU?
As for fuse? 5amp somewhere? - It states that if a fuse is 'tripped' it will reset the next time the ignition is switched on. So the fuse must be part of the 'Smart' system with a kind of automatic self maintenance system once the fault has been fixed.
The wonders of technology prevail. I now have an answer and will fit some leads to the battery for charging with my CTek charger and give up with their socket.

I have a Touratech F800 GS dash surround on my 700GS
That has a Hella / DIN plus wired direct to the battery ( fused of course.
So I have 12v live power, no tripping the canbus with air compressers etc & no need for ignition to be on either.
Win win & it tidies up the clocks / dash no end...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1511111801781.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511111801781.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 301
I now have an answer and will fit some leads to the battery for charging with my CTek charger and give up with their socket.

Just buy a DIN Socket & fit it on the other side of the ignition from the other one - there is a convenient space for it. You'll have to take the cover off to fit a charger lead, so why not take 5 minutes longer & fit a socket?

You'll then be able to flatten your battery by plugging as much crap in as you like without it shutting off.....

D

Thanks for all this useful advice. I like the dash surround with extra socket. I have taken out the battery, given it a full charge and refitted it with the CTek battery charge leads with plug. As suggested have taken it through the chassis frame and secured it up top front of left sidepanel. Just the job!

Back
Top Bottom