Iceland Adventure to the Westfjords.

Well that's the song writer /vocalist sorted, perhaps Geoff on spoons and surely Toddy must play the banjo.

And as I went home on Tuesday night as drunk as drunk could be
I woke to a piper and dancing Smug where my old bike should be, Will you kindly tell to me, Who owns those pipes, those dancing legs and why is it half past 3?

Ah, you're drunk,
you're drunk you silly old fool,
still you can not see

That's a biking legend named Smug that rode along with me
Well, it's many a day I've travelled a 60 miles or more
But Rim lock on a tubliss sure I never saw before

Bravo Jon,

But now you've started we need more!

It is called the 'seven drunken nights' even if the Dubliners were censored for the last two verses!

Eagerly awaiting next six installments !!!!!!!

………….. dripping wet, sprayed with mud, as I pull my helmet off an attractive woman

Idunn smiles triumphantly, she must be a woman who knows what's best for a man.........

Every story is helped with selective quoting

Bravo Jon,

But now you've started we need more!

It is called the 'seven drunken nights' even if the Dubliners were censored for the last two verses!

Eagerly awaiting next six installments !!!!!!!

And as I went home on Wednesday night as drunk as drunk could be

I woke to rolling thunder where peace and quiet used to be.

Will you kindly tell to me, Which power ranger is summoning trolls so bad that Erik the Red would make 3.

Ah, you're drunk,
you're drunk you silly old fool,
still you cannot see

That's a CCM summoning the apocalypse no sweet akropovic chorus for thee

Well, it's many a day I've travelled a 100 miles or more

But a penis enlarger used to make water sure I never saw before.

A personal goal for me today is to get as far north as possible on this route, then we'll need to head back down this way and continue as far south as we fancy for the night.

So we have a long day ahead but in no rush to leave this sanctuary.

Time for posh breakfast.

20180727_080047-01-XL.jpg

And to mooch around. ( I wrote more about this place in a previous RR :thumb )

20180727_075233-01-XL.jpg

20180727_075356-01-XL.jpg

20180727_090616-01-XL.jpg

20180727_090744-01-XL.jpg

20180727_091041-01-XL.jpg

20180727_091048-01-XL.jpg

20180727_091313-01-XL.jpg

20180727_091553-01-XL.jpg

All the while being dive bombed by the terns.

20180727_091520-01-XL.jpg

Time to go.

20180727_091704-01-XL.jpg

It's rare for icebergs to drift as far south as northern Iceland but this year there were reports of some were visible from this area, as we rode north we saw two out at sea.

Pushing further on and along a coastal track we found this small one.

20180727_110141-01-XL.jpg

From here on the route deteriorated into a very rough trail which for us on bikes was perfect.

20180727_120522-01-XL.jpg

At Ofeigsfjordur we came to a wide river pouring into the sea......with no bridge.

20180727_120436-01-XL.jpg

Knowing I need to get several miles further on to reach the end of the route I ask Geoff if he fancies it.

I've ridden with Geoff a few times before always valuing his company and judgement, he answered a resounding NO!!! :D

I quickly dumped my heavy tail pack, Geoff asks if I'm going to go on, ...."Fuckin right I am" so close to the end I have to get there.

The river bed's rocky and fairly wide, the lads poised with cameras (secretly hoping for 'some action' I'll bet) I think just one hiccup and I was across albeit with a wet foot.

Beyond this next rickety footbridge is footpath so a no go for bikes, besides crossing the river is an even bigger no go, my map confirms this is the end of the trail, a good moment and flew back to the others ending with a clear river crossing.

20180727_123025-01-XL.jpg

Calling at Nordurfjordur for the best burger ever served by...... ooohhhhh, it would be a betrayal of her :)

So here's a pic of a boat instead.

20180727_142052-01-XL.jpg

We then had the most fantastic ride south weaving in and out of the fjords in glorious sunshine where the previous day we'd been battered by the weather.

20180727_131203-01-XL.jpg

We'd pushed on a bit to get further south later that day where I knew a great, quiet camp which had a hot pool, showers and large heated dining room come kitchen with large windows looking over the sea.

Our intention next day was in a round about way head south to the mid point of the Kjolur route where we'd camp before a fun day to hopefully meet up with the others on the south side of the highlands, but the weather.......

A cold north wind and low cloud which would be much worse in the middle and much higher, so we needed a better plan :)

Stay put for another night but ride a big loop of trails out into the highlands today and have a really long ride the following day in good weather.
The lads are up for it :bounce1

Our trail started right across the road near to our camp but it took a moment to even see it, then as we continued I realised I'd ridden it before, must be my memory!

Heading inland it's a great trail but the views are hidden in thick mist, eventually we take a turn to an even smaller trail and the cloud starts to lift. Hooray.

20180728_132137-01-XL.jpg

Coming to a small crossing.

20180728_133136-01-XL.jpg

20180728_133145-01-XL.jpg

Just around the corner there's a gate and a sign telling us it's closed due to thaw damage :blast

Toddy's less than delighted at having to cross the stream again :D

Plan B. An even bigger loop heading the other way but after 20 miles of great riding.....

20180728_141032-01-XL.jpg

It's deep, rocky and with a strong current, if we had to we could have crossed it with a bit of team work but we didn't need to so a long ride back to where I knew of a small and quite obscure garage where we'd find coffee and cake.
We were so wet we had to mop the floor twice :blast:D

Later back at camp we were glad of the warmth, I used the hot pool with 3 lovely young ladies while Geoff gave me the giggles by smirking through the windows. A muscular lad joined them, time for me to leave.

Later, in the pissing rain Toddy (bless him) rides down to a big garage returning with a supply of beer while we're in the warm dining room drying clothes and cooking up food.

Toddy asks if it's still raining?

Tom, Geoff and I just look at each other and can only smile.........

Sun's out and wind's on our back as we take longish road ride east, we can smell the warmth from the lush countryside.

Although much longer this way to our next destination south, I wanted the others to enjoy this next route, so full of food and fuel we head off onto what Toddy called 'Ange's Trail' :)
I'd met an Icelandic walking guide a few years ago who suggested it and Ange loved it, this is also the best direction to be riding it.

20180729_130939-01-XL.jpg

Joining the Kjolur route the first section being in perfect condition but the rest was big puddles and very potholed!

At a rest stop I suggested that as this was our last full day of riding we take a 'more interesting' last 40 or 50 miles, some of those who've been with me in Iceland recently will know it.
Geoff said, "Go for it" so we did :)

Tom mindful of his experience on the two river crossings only 12 months earlier .....

20170721_183916-01-XL.jpg

...had no such problems this time around and rode like a demon throughout :clap

No pics of the slightly tricky bits in the wet sand (much to Toddy's relief).

20180729_174420-01-XL.jpg

20180729_174519-01-XL.jpg

20180729_184208-01-XL.jpg

I think at this moment Geoff was beginning to regret saying go for it.

20180729_184225-01-XL.jpg

Firmer ground and a climb to the top.

20180729_184533-01-XL.jpg

We stop for a while so we don't get too spread out.

20180729_190629-01-XL.jpg

At one point Toddy almost crumples to a halt.... "How much further?" came his feeble cry (he should of course know better than to ask me that).

He's a broken man :D
Well, he thinks he broken but I know there's a bit more left in him so despite our lighthearted banter his Viking name is no longer "Toddy the Terrified" from this moment onward the gods have chosen a new name for him.......
arise "Toddy the Trooper" ...... (in your own time mate).

20180729_190649-01-XL.jpg

That evening we met up again at the camp with Rob who'd had a great adventure.

Toddy go's off to buy far more beer than we can possibly drink (oops still owe you for that :blast) and we eat everything that's left in our panniers.

A few light trails next morning and it's time to say goodbye to our babies.

As for mine, after it's 8th trip around Iceland it's running smoother, faster and generally a stronger bike than ever!!

Bon Voyage and thank you.

20180730_131316-01-XL.jpg

Superb! :clap

Just out of interest (and my lack of knowledge) what bikes were you all using?
I wanna do some of these trips but can’t make my mind up as what to get.

Superb! :clap

Just out of interest (and my lack of knowledge) what bikes were you all using?
I wanna do some of these trips but can’t make my mind up as what to get.
This trip:
1200gs
Husky 701
Ktm 640 and 690 (modified to 730 and much much more)
CCM 450 × 4!!!
Previous years in Iceland would have produced a very list.

All bikes with some 'off-road' capability will be fine.
It doesn't necessarily need to cost a fortune, just needs a decent fuel range and to be reliable.
Resisting the temptation to be bias ;) there is no best bike, they can all do it.

Looks like it was an excellent trip - the photos were brilliant....many thanks for sharing! :thumb2

Fab RR Tim. Makes me even more gutted that I couldn't make it. Please go back next year and put me on the list right now!

Fab RR Tim. Makes me even more gutted that I couldn't make it. Please go back next year and put me on the list right now!

Of course Lee, you would be first on the list if it happens next year, a real shame you couldn't make this one.

A few photos taken earlier this year on the Wesfjord's trip. A fantastic holiday with different terrain and conditions every day. A credit to our intrepid guide and "pointer outer" who has accrued so much local knowledge. He even managed to complete some routes for the first time on this trip with the bonus of the sighting of an iceberg. Well done Tim :thumb

A great wild camp tucked into a neat glade in the lava.
IV2w2i2.jpg

Queue for the ferry across to the Westfjords.
6OoJWi0.jpg

b9AGIcC.jpg

Tim pointing out something of interest!
MBxU0hB.jpg

JpgNzA0.jpg

69XWQfE.jpg

EqAS23O.jpg

ed5flJZ.jpg

An excellent wild camp with a river, views and skuas.
0sFKGip.jpg

Best not to tread on the skua eggs. They got upset enough when I walked near them.
dATrSdI.jpg

That is my bike parked in the gap between the huge rocks.
M6JKKAK.jpg

fXNRfGa.jpg

Tim pointing out something of great interest!!
9MhDP4O.jpg

wOcEMxT.jpg

Lupins grow wild in Iceland. Beautiful.
MbiRHMr.jpg

Another fantastic trail winding along the valley.
6JuXIH3.jpg

dhbdbL3.jpg

qMLu3RF.jpg

uakHDHf.jpg

Steeper than it looks and a bit loose.
OQN8MhK.jpg

Repleted after a great meal and the thought of a dry bed.
rGf703x.jpg

A very high bidet? Or a bidet converted to use as a washbasin?
qD1NPHy.jpg

HfIyl76.jpg

This hulk was the home for workers at the fish factory.
15kG28u.jpg

Tim pointing at an iceberg all the way from Greenland.
Swyxvon.jpg

lJqJF76.jpg

PjQ1oIM.jpg

5QzpxKS.jpg

Tim pointing at a gate :nenau
zA7UNRk.jpg

Tim pointing!!!
KTKNXf4.jpg

XL05Kup.jpg

rfnbd3w.jpg

The bike looking a bit tired and readied for the trip back to Hull.
gVJZckS.jpg

That is a great report and super photos .. thanks for taking the time to post :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom